Author Topic: Won't Walk Certain Places Without Certain People  (Read 489 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Won't Walk Certain Places Without Certain People
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
What do you all make of this and best of all, how do I stop it?

My daughter has been coming on our walk for a few days now, we have been taking a new route, this evening daughter decided she didn't want to come as she already had her jamas on.  So me and Boo set off on our own, we get down as far as where the new route started and she sat on the floor and point blank refused to go any further :-\ I tried to coax her but she was having none of it and started to try and back out of her collar, so I had no choice but to turn back and come home >:(  She has done this before on a few occasions, once when were camping at Thetford Forest, we were taking her through the forest when she stopped dead and wouldn't come, that time my other daughter had stayed behind in the tent as she can't walk very far due to her ME but Boo is used to her not coming along on walks anyway (I actually have a video of this) 

Thing is if I let her carry on this, it could turn into a bit of a pain, if I walk her when the house is empty and the kids are at school, shes no bother, but if they are left in the house, she won't go, strange animal she is :huh:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Won't Walk Certain Places Without Certain People
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:41:29 PM »
All I can say is I had a cocker cross in the past and she was my dog and she doted on me completely so no excuse for refusing to go further because she wanted to rush home to someone else. But she got that way that her walks became shorter and shorter by her own doing. She would walk along behind me (off lead) and I'd turn around to see where she was and she'd have just completely stopped. When you looked at her and said "what?" she'd look away from you. You'd try to coax her on, but she wouldn't budge so you'd go back to her and take her collar and it would be like she's glued to the spot. So I'd asked her again what she wanted where upon she would turn round and head back towards home. She would look round to see if you followed and if you did her speed would increase and she'd trot back home. It got that way that sometimes she'd be happy to do a long walk, sometimes a short one, others I'd be lucky to get to the end of the road (100m max) and the worst was when she'd get all excited to go, jump around then take the lead off you and jump back onto the settee and refuse to go.

So sorry I can only say in Cindy's case it really did depend on what mood she was in as to how far she went and we actually had another dog at the time, a collie cross who needed so much exercise it was unreal but it was funny watching their antics when she'd only get to the 100m mark and we'd turn round to drop her back off at home. Benji's face would be tripping him up, only to light up again when he realised he was still going for a long walk just not with Cindy.

Have to say though I did pander to all Cindy's needs and I don't think that helped. When she went out with my OH she wasn't given a choice but that said she has even run off from him back home again if the mood didn't take her and the opportunity to escape arose (I'd of liked to have seen his face at the time, been out foxed by my lazy dog.) :lol2:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.