Author Topic: "Selling" your dog in the ring  (Read 4491 times)

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
    • espanielcockerspaniels.co.nz
"Selling" your dog in the ring
« on: December 13, 2002, 06:52:36 AM »
After many years of showing this is still a bit of a mystery to me.  How do you "sell" your dog?  A judge recently said to me that I didn't "sell" Stella enough.  Do judges expect you to eyeball them in the line up and smile? just not sure what I have to do.....                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 08:06:34 AM »
I think they mean - be positive yourself and really show your dog off. It does mean looking at the judge and smiling.

jmho                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 10:00:43 AM »
I don't think it means you have to smile at the judge - if you watch the best handlers, they will certainly have their eye on the judge to make sure their dog is looking their best when the judge looks their way, but it doesn't mean you eyeball the judge or smile at him/her (though a few do hoping it will get them noticed ;D) Selling your dog in the ring means making sure you always have your dog on its toes & looking it's best when it matters - never let him/her stand like a "sack of spuds" (to coin an expression :)) just as the judge is making their final decision ;D I have seen many good dogs end up down the line due to casual or inattentive handling by their owners - the top handlers never do this which is why they often end up in first place, because they know how to get the best out of their dogs & how to minimise their dog's little failings & maximise their good points. Having said that, judges from some countries (I'm thinking particularly the US here) expect a higher degree of showmanship in the ring than say a British judge would - they like to see Cockers charge round the ring like Olympic athletes with the emphasis on flashy profiles & high head carriage. I personally don't like this style of handling but it is very popular in some countries :)                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 06:48:09 PM »
The only time I would smile (or indeed speak to - and that would just be "thank you") at the judge is when after going over my dog they ask me to move, and perhaps again after completing my pattern.
I also believe that going in the ring with a confident & positive attitude ("ok so my dogs the best, who's going to be second) is the best way of 'selling your dog'. After all if you enter the ring with a defeatist attitude and lack confidence it will go straight down the lead to the dog. By the same token I don't believe in over doing it, being flashy and over the top endears you to no-one, least of all the judge.
JMHO

Shaendix, I don't know if you have a Junior Handling Association over in NZ like we do in the UK. These youngsters really are worth watching. They are an object lesson in being inconspicuous, whilst getting the very best from their dog.