Author Topic: Chewing help - again  (Read 346 times)

Offline Catie74

Chewing help - again
« on: August 05, 2011, 07:59:41 AM »
Help!!!!!! thinking we were past all the chewing stage, my 'delightful' menace Archie appears to have gone back to puppy stage again and has started to chew the corners of my walls and the corners of cushions.  It is not down to boredom, even if we have been out for one of our 4 hour hikes, he still chews a bit.  He did this when he was a little pup bur he is now nearly 16months.  Not just the chewing, he seems to have reverted back to a puppy in other ways.  Can they get a second bout of teething at this age?  Oh and there is no point in using the anti chew spray, my little toad seems to like it.  >:D

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Chewing help - again
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Help!!!!!! thinking we were past all the chewing stage, my 'delightful' menace Archie appears to have gone back to puppy stage again and has started to chew the corners of my walls and the corners of cushions.  It is not down to boredom, even if we have been out for one of our 4 hour hikes, he still chews a bit.  He did this when he was a little pup bur he is now nearly 16months.  Not just the chewing, he seems to have reverted back to a puppy in other ways.  Can they get a second bout of teething at this age?  Oh and there is no point in using the anti chew spray, my little toad seems to like it.  >:D

I am sure they do get a second teething - but not sure when
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »
Dogs do need to chew as a way of 'winding down'. Its a calming thing for them. Our 4 year old American cocker spends a good 15 minutes chewing one of his rope toys before he goes to sleep. Its perfectly natural, the difficulty comes if they're chewing things that you don't want them to.

We rotate the toys every couple of weeks to keep them interesting. You can also try using stuffed kongs (if you freeze them it keeps the dogs occupied for longer  ;)).

Whenever Amber (12 months) is chewing something that I don't want her to, such as the stairs I just say 'no' in a 'I mean it' tone of voice, but then give her something that she can chew instead.

Hope this helps :)
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline seaangler

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »
Are golden retriever jenny of thirty years ago was  the same she chewed the plaster on the walls also the corners of the dinning room and every chair leg..went on to demolish the sofa(thank dog for insurence)...Like what has been said(in the post above) change her toys make it fun for her to chew her toys and NOT your house....

Don't forget if she done that amount of damage claim of your house hold contents insurence.....(if you can)

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline black taz

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:01:58 PM »
do you have a crate you could use when not supervising?

Alternatively you may need to find something that is just as appealing to chew.  Mine like the smoked marrow bones.