Author Topic: Query over training  (Read 499 times)

Offline silke

• Site Member
Query over training
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »
I find I have a real problem finding a suitable training class - one of my dogs is very nervous of strangers (see my other postings  :'( ). I've been taking her to training classes (flyball, agility and 'ordinary' training). I find that some of the obedience ones were quite regimental, in one choke chains and smacking were used  >:D . Quite a few of the others go through the Good Citizen's tests, which I like, but one of the elements is the examination by a stranger. She just can't take that, and I'm getting really stressed and worried over it. Some people in one class took it upon themselves to want to 'cure' her of her fear, by persistently trying to force her to accept being stroked.  >:( When I asked them to stop, they treated me like I was neurotic.  :'( I feel really upset over it all now. I'd love to take her training - all our other dogs have been to training classes, and we loved it, doing all the Good Citizens tests, obedience etc. Plus I feel being in a group and enjoying the training, activity and quality time spent with me (with people around) might be beneficial for her. :huh:

Sorry to go on - just feel a bit upset over it all at the moment.  :-\

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Query over training
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
Where abouts are you? Perhaps members on here can recommend a good class.

You have done the right thing by stopping people to touch her uninvited! She would only learn that people are unpleasant. Tell people instead to just drop a treat for her every time they walk past, that gives them something to do  :005: (which just like in dogs is always better than telling them what NOT to do) and it teaches your dog that other people are the source of good things.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you...and no you are not being "neurotic"....as already said whereabouts are you??

I love going to dog club and thankfully mine uses kind methods and although they do the Good Citizens they also run other classes alongside this and members and their dogs get used to the "regulars" in each class and the woofs all seem to enjoy it and buuild up good rapports with the other dogs and owners. They also have one of the trainers who is also a behaviourist who does 1-2-1 at club and also home/dog walk visits (free of charge for members) for those who need it etc...I think Im very lucky to be a part of the club...
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline wendyt

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 05:28:08 PM »
silke
When Murphy was going to puppy classes at about 16 weeks, we had an exercise where we had to sit in a circle and pass each other's puppies around. It's supposed to get the puppy being used to being handled, Murphy wasn't keen on this exercise at all and I was really uncomfortable about it. Everyone knew he was quite nervous and they were very gentle with him and not forcing him to do anything he didn't want to do except one man!!!!
Murph started to back away and this idiot kept pulling him back by his leader, I was furious and so was the trainer we both leapt up at the same time I got there first and picked up Murph and she gave the man the biggest telling off. He wasn't best pleased and kept muttering that he'd had staffies for years and knew exactly what he was doing!!!!!!!!!!!! His puppy was the biggest bully in the class and was so dominant, I often wonder what he's turned out like, probably like his owner.

Well we never finished the course there and went on to another training class elsewhere, this was completely different everybody knew he was nervous and treat him very gently. He is the most obedient dog and sailed through his Good Citizen, he passed his bronze and silver award after 3 classes, but when he was examined by a stranger (the examiner) he was so stressed his anal glands emptied all over her. Yuk

It's such a worry having a nervous dog but I did find it beneficial for Murph going to this training class, it did us both good and he did gain a little confidence from it.

I hope you manage to find a good training class near you. Good Luck

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »
If you're anywhere near Leeds or Harrogate, there is a wonderful training club that we go to. It would be a good idea to post where you are and see if any COLers know of a good one nr you. You could just put a general area or county if you're aren't comfortable about being too specific. I really hope you find a good one, we look forward to ours so much.

ps On the examination by a stranger, you could try using a table (which is allowed for the test). That is the only way Bella got through her test (as you know, she's nervous with strangers too). Being higher up makes it less intimidating for them. You need to make sure she feels 100% comfortable about being up on a table though before you throw the stranger into the mix.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »
Hi

I am near-ish Leeds/Harrogate, please can you pm me the name of the training club?  We have started at one but it is a bit old-fashioned, so might switch.

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 08:35:04 PM »
Thank you everyone!  :luv: I'm in Derby.

Silke xx

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »
Hi

I am near-ish Leeds/Harrogate, please can you pm me the name of the training club?  We have started at one but it is a bit old-fashioned, so might switch.

No problem, will PM you  ;)