Author Topic: looking for insurance for my pup  (Read 3391 times)

Offline littleowlett

• Archie
Re: looking for insurance for my pup
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
I use John Lewis as I found the things they cover were comprehensive but slightly cheaper than other companies. Luckily (and touch wood) I haven't had to make a claim yet.

Offline mcc

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
OK lets try to break this down into bite size decisions.

There are basically 2 types of policy.  A lifelong policy or an annual policy.

Always,always, always go for the lifelong policy.  The difference is this.  With a lifelong policy, if you dog gets a recurring or ongoing illness, the insurance will cover it for your dog's lifetime.  If you have an annual policy it will only cover it for the current year.  The next year it would be seen as a pre-existing condition and NOT be covered.  this could be someting a simple as an ear infection or as serious (and expensive) as diabetes which my boy had.

Now lets look at the details of the policy.  You need to look at the level of cover.  Typically there may be a limit of £5000 per illness per year.  Or it may be more or less.  Compare this to the monthly cost of the policy.  Bear in mind that a serious illness or accident could cost several thousands so make sure that the level is high enough.

Finally decide which insurance company you are going to choose.  Base this on people's recommendations from when they have made a claim.  My own experience is with pet plan and they are first class, but I am sure others are too.

hope this helps.   :blink:

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 10:50:55 PM »
Take a lifelong policy and get the dog insured asap - my pup just had a 360.00 bill that won't be covered cause it was mentioned to the vet on the day I took out the policy - so don't wait around just incase :-)
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline rednblack

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »
Always a lifetime policy.  When my last dog developed kidney failure at 12, I was really glad I had it.  After he died (at nearly 15), I checked what I'd spent on insurance premiums throughout his life and what I'd received from claims (mostly in his last 3 years).  I was really pleased to find I actually had back in claims more than I'd paid in premiums (and that was Petplan!). 

Like everyone, I'd growled (and shown my teeth!  ;) )when the renewals came in and I saw the hike (500% over his lifetime), but in the end it was well worth it.  :shades:

(not sure that these smiley icons are showing properly for me!)

Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 08:28:30 PM »
Even with a life time policy you need to read the wording of each policy. For example I have Jasper with Sainsbury who offers 7k per condition (not per year, its for 1 condition) so you could have 2 or 3 conditions say in 1 year and they would pay up to 7k towards each of them.

But Jacob is with Axa who is 7k per year for all conditions. This is the best policy for him as his HD will be costing over 14k once he has had everything done!

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
jasper_boy - I have never noticed this before buy i shall definately be checking this out with my policy just now :) Thanks for highlighting :)
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11