Author Topic: Help - stuck with Bill from vets  (Read 6580 times)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: Help - stuck with Bill from vets
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »
I recently joined Pet plans Breeders Club (just thinking ahead) anyway it sent me packs out to give to any 'potential' pups owner on the day they leave, I am then advised to activate the Plan either online or by phone on the day of collection, ideally whilst they are there so the new owners are aware they are now covered ;)
ETA I have no pups just forward planning , just thought this info may be useful ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
All I can say is I had four weeks free Pet Plan from the breeder which was activated the day we took Toby home.  On reading through the paperwork, it advised that illness was not covered for the first 14 days.  So much for "four weeks" free insurance. 

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 02:56:04 PM »
I too had 4wks free ins with pet plan ,activated by the breeder, Mollie was covered from the day we picked her up  :dunno:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
All I can say is I had four weeks free Pet Plan from the breeder which was activated the day we took Toby home.  On reading through the paperwork, it advised that illness was not covered for the first 14 days.  So much for "four weeks" free insurance. 

Are you sure? That's not what it says on my book of cover notes or on the Petplan website:

4 weeks free insurance for new owners
Provide new owners with 4 weeks free Petplan insurance using our quick and easy Instant Policy books. These provide immediate cover for illness and injury up to £4,000 as soon as you activate the policy on behalf of the new owner by phone or online.

Jane

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »
Jane

I'm positive.  Unfortunately, I've thrown all the paperwork away now because I have insurance from another company but I remember sitting reading through the terms and conditions and it said you couldn't claim for any illness that started within the first 14 days.  Any accident had immediate cover.  It was definately with Pet Plan.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 07:06:12 PM »
Jane

I'm positive.  Unfortunately, I've thrown all the paperwork away now because I have insurance from another company but I remember sitting reading through the terms and conditions and it said you couldn't claim for any illness that started within the first 14 days.  Any accident had immediate cover.  It was definately with Pet Plan.

Do you know how long ago it was?  I just read through the teeny print Terms & Conditions on my cover notes and it's definitely not there :-\ If it is the case, I shall have to use the KC cover notes instead ;)
Jane

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »
Yes, he had cover from 14 May this year.  I just thought of something.  We had Toby microchipped at 12 weeks old.  The breeders cover had just expired but the Pet Tracer company gave us four weeks free insurance with Pet Plan because we had microchipped.  Could it have been this instead?  Would there be any difference between breeders insurance and a microchip company insurance, even with the same insurance company?

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »
I've just activated my puppy insurance and no mention on there it just has the following:-

Free insurance for new owners
Our breeder-activated Instant Polices provide 4 weeks free insurance for new owners. There is no cost to you or the new owner and minimal paperwork involved. Activating cover is quick and easy and the insurance starts immediately so you can send the puppy or kitten off to their new home knowing you have given them the best start you can.

Cover includes:

Up to £4,000 veterinary fees cover for illness and injury
Up to £750 for loss by theft or straying
Up to £750 for death from illness or injury
Up to £200 for advertising or reward if the puppy/kitten is lost or stolen
These 4 weeks free policies are specifically designed to fit in with the vet vaccination process. A timely reminder from Petplan just before the 4 week period is due to end leads to increased conversion to a full annual policy and therefore additional Breeder Bonus credits for you!

Whilst discussing insurance with new owners the key message to communicate is that not all pet insurance is the same so they need to choose their annual policy wisely.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »
I recently joined Pet plans Breeders Club (just thinking ahead) anyway it sent me packs out to give to any 'potential' pups owner on the day they leave, I am then advised to activate the Plan either online or by phone on the day of collection, ideally whilst they are there so the new owners are aware they are now covered ;)
ETA I have no pups just forward planning , just thought this info may be useful ;)

I thought your bitch had just missed?

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »
Jane

I'm positive.  Unfortunately, I've thrown all the paperwork away now because I have insurance from another company but I remember sitting reading through the terms and conditions and it said you couldn't claim for any illness that started within the first 14 days.  Any accident had immediate cover.  It was definately with Pet Plan.

Do you know how long ago it was?  I just read through the teeny print Terms & Conditions on my cover notes and it's definitely not there :-\ If it is the case, I shall have to use the KC cover notes instead ;)

I had the 4 weeks cover from Quinn's breeder and it was activated just before I collected him as Petplan sent the confirmation email to me with the reference number should I need to claim (confirmation paperwork was then sent in the post afterwards)  - part of the email which I've just looked up states:-

"There's no need to worry about the cost of unexpected vet bills when you have pet insurance from Petplan.
We can help pay for any necessary treatment if your pet is ill or injured.

Our 4 week policy is designed to give new pet owners peace of mind during the important settling-in period.
We will contact you shortly to see if you would like to continue cover for Quinn at the end of the free period."

The 14 week period of no claming does not relate to the 4 weeks free insurance but to new applications to Pet Plan, basically to stop people getting insurance if they have an inkling their dog is ill and going to need treatment.  

Offline seaangler

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »
Are four weeks free insurence started to day and was activated as soon as we left the breeder..It was in the starter pack that are breeder give out with all the information...Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 10:33:17 PM »
Charlene have you checked the Breeder Contract that you should have had when you collected Diesel?  :shades:
It might state that if a Puppy is found to have health problems then said Puppy can be returned within 7 days?  :-\
I know you wouldn't think of returning Diesel BUT if it does transpire that the insurance was not activated in time then i would think you are well within your rights to ask the Breeder for financial assistance for the Vets Bills.  :shades: ;) 
I am so sorry you are having such a rubbish time with all of this  :'(  It should be a happy, fun time with a new pupster.  :luv:
I really hope you can get Diesel completely well & this whole sad saga sorted.  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 10:40:16 PM »

The 14 week period of no claming does not relate to the 4 weeks free insurance but to new applications to Pet Plan,

But I definately read that no claim could be made within the first 14 days of the free insurance and I've only ever had the free four weeks insurance from them.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 10:43:49 PM »

I thought your bitch had just missed?

If it's true, I am surprised how quick you managed to test your dogs and get the results because you only asked about whether to health test 2 months ago  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 10:58:06 PM »
Hi, what a mess! I had a litter last year and activated pups on date of sale. I see that it has changed in that free insurance can be pre-activated up to four weeks prior to sale now.

Also there is an excess for each individual claim so not all monies would be returned anyway.

If this was a pre existing problem prior to sale would this not be a case of a responsible breeder sorting out the bill right away?

I once knew a very small hobby breeder who sold a slightly undershot pup. It couldn't be understood as mum and dad have perfect mouths and her only previous litter all had perfect mouths. Anyway, the vet said the pup's mouth may correct itself when the adult teeth came in otherwise  there would be a bill of about £250 to file down the two teeth. The pup cost £650 and the breeder liked the owner of the new pup so he said as you don't want to return the pup he would rip up their cheque and that should cover any costs. The result - reputation enhanced, owner happy and puppy in loving permanent home. And the breeder? Ohh, yes it was me.  ;) But I'm a soft sap.  :'(