Author Topic: Chicken Wings Questions  (Read 5717 times)

Offline Sara_Clara

Re: Chicken Wings Questions
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »
Finally got around to buying some wings yesterday.  What a bargain.  79p for a 1kg in my local Aldi.  Cost me more for the freezer bags to separate them off into  :D

Gave one to Pebbles and it was so funny.  She took it out into the garden and sat for a good while occasionally pawing at it and barking then looking at me as if to say - whatever is this   :huh:  Eventually she took her time and ate every last bit.  Was very worried in case she had a funny tummy or was sick but fine all day and over night.  Will now give her one perhaps once or twice a week as a treat.

Am I right in thinking it is good for their anal glands?

Honestly the things I've learnt on here are wonderful.   :D

Sara
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 03:44:05 PM »
Ok i also like Neon was sooo nervous about chicken wings as i was also told NEVER to give them chicken bones  :huh:
However i am actually going to introduce them and so is it just uncooked chicken wings?

I might nip into Aldi and get some for 79p  :005:
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline karen488

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »
Thanks for the thread Sara. I've read alot on hear about chicken wings but never had the guts to take the plunge. Maybe this weekend...

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »
Ok i also like Neon was sooo nervous about chicken wings as i was also told NEVER to give them chicken bones  :huh:
However i am actually going to introduce them and so is it just uncooked chicken wings?

I might nip into Aldi and get some for 79p  :005:

Yup - just uncooked chicken wings...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 04:53:03 PM »
This is really going to seem like a dumb question but do they crunch up the chicken bones as well without any probs.  I've always been frightened of feeding bones (unless knuckle or marrow) in case of bone pieces doing damage.

i was worried about the bones too, so started off bashing them with the steak hammer a few times and breaking the bones up,.....i bashed slightly less with each chicken wing until i was happy they could handle the bones and now dont bash at all ;)

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
I gave one to Penny and she loved it, but I was a a bit alarmed at the speed the last piece disappeared and wondered if she'd swallowed a bone whole. She had no ill effects but I've been rather nervous of repeating the experiment. I think I'll take ebonygirl's advice and bash the bones up first.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Kerstin

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »
I tried it a couple of weeks ago but Spencer just sniffed it and walked away - I hate raw chicken and was secretly quite pleased as I hated touching it - but maybe I should try again if it good for him! can't the bones get stuck in his throat -Spencer isn't good at chewing anything -everything gets solved down together  :005:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »
Oh yes, they crunch them up! Very satisfying noise it is too.

My 2 really crunch although Ebony swallowed her 1st one whole and then promptly brought it back up  :020: and then crunched it, she was only 15 weeks.

Makes you realise that when they bite you as a puppy, don't let them get your finger on their back teeth  :005:
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 06:29:47 PM »
You lot are so much braver than me.  I keep "chickening" out (SORREEE)!!!  I really want to try Toby on them, but still "plucking" up courage.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline HelenM

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »
Having been a nurse many years ago it goes against the grain to feed raw chicken let alone with the bones to anything.  That said it's up to the individual to do what they are happy with.

I don't have a problem with anal glands with my cockers but my Basset does suffer or rather he did until I started putting either mini shreaded wheat or crushed weetabix on his Royal Canin.

Fingers crossed no problems for the past year

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »
Have been giving Pippa chicken wings but two days ago she also swallowed one whole then through it up.  Not sure whether to carry on now.

Am going to continue giving them to Barney though as he eats much more delicately.

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 06:28:15 AM »
If you feed her kibble and chicken she will have poo like rocks very important to get balance right as you can really hurt your dog feeding raw without the propper knowledge.

I would advice either changing to a full RAW menue or keep with the kibble

Never feed wet and dry together as the two take different lengths of time to fully digest you could give your dog an upset tummy feeding chicken wings and kibble.

If you should try feeding chicken wings or any part of the chicken never cook them because the bones shatter and that could be dangerous they are not dangerous fed raw but be sure to hold one end of the chicken wing to prevent it going down whole and the dog choking on it.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »
Having been a nurse many years ago it goes against the grain to feed raw chicken let alone with the bones to anything.  That said it's up to the individual to do what they are happy with.

I don't have a problem with anal glands with my cockers but my Basset does suffer or rather he did until I started putting either mini shreaded wheat or crushed weetabix on his Royal Canin.

Fingers crossed no problems for the past year
I was the same as you, ex nurse, brought up never to give bones to dogs especially chicken :o When we first had Belle her breeder advised us that the best thing to keep her teeeth clean was a chicken wing a couple of times a week, I was horrified but found out on here that its common practice , still couldn't bring myself to give her one, read up a bit more online, and then finally very warily took the plunge, Belle has never looked back, she is 2 now and her teeth are sparkly white and never had a problem with her Anal glands. They really are a treat for her ;). Monty on the other hand is not such a fan of Raw? he will eat a wing but it takes him ages and he is really unsure what to do with it still, but he is like that with whatever raw I give him, but I def think he is in the minority ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 08:03:07 AM »
Have been giving Pippa chicken wings but two days ago she also swallowed one whole then through it up.  Not sure whether to carry on now.

I would try again and this time bash it with a rolling pin first to break the bones up a bit and then hold onto the wing while she eats it so she can't gobble it down too fast  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 10:37:21 AM »

I would try again and this time bash it with a rolling pin first to break the bones up a bit and then hold onto the wing while she eats it so she can't gobble it down too fast  ;)

Thanks, I will give it a go at teatime.