Author Topic: Chicken Wings Questions  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Amy_and_Harry

Re: Chicken Wings Questions
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 10:44:09 AM »
Alot of people taking the chiclen wing plunge  :D how long do they need to defrost?? And how many times a week can they be given as a treat?

Amy, Harry & Blue

Offline seaangler

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 11:14:14 AM »
I had a word with the wife about it and at the moment we are not talking(may be a good thing or not :005:) ...but trying to say to her that foxes eat chickens so why not Peggy and little gemma  when she gets a little older....Another wobbley by the wife.... >:( as i said its cheaper than buying them chews you buy for there teeth)...She keeps going about salmonella that mite be in chicken wings  dogs eat them raw and we cook them different matter she says....

She's still not talking  only by the internet(at the moment being in work as i am its safer) ph34r

Can some one say (to my wife)as to why its O/K to give dog chicken wings....

I mite have tea waiting for me when i get home :D

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 11:28:06 AM »
Have been giving Pippa chicken wings but two days ago she also swallowed one whole then through it up.  Not sure whether to carry on now.

Am going to continue giving them to Barney though as he eats much more delicately.

I know it's scary, but it's actually what a dog is designed to do - if they eat something too quickly, they will vomit and try again - it shows that her digestive system deals with it appropriately.

If you feed her kibble and chicken she will have poo like rocks very important to get balance right as you can really hurt your dog feeding raw without the propper knowledge.

Feeding kibble with an occassional chicken wing (either instead of one kibble meal, or as a treat) generally causes no constipation problems - we did this with Honey for several months before moving over to raw.  If you fed nothing but chicken wings, you could cause problems, as there would be insufficient meat content for the bone, but as an occassional treat, most dogs have no problems (I know you had problems with your dog, but there have been many many people who have fed a kibble diet and given an occassional chicken wing, so it's not a common problem).  Agree about the not mixing kibble and raw in the same meal - and, yes, chicken wings should not be cooked, as this is when the bones are brittle and can splinter.

Having been a nurse many years ago it goes against the grain to feed raw chicken let alone with the bones to anything.  That said it's up to the individual to do what they are happy with.

The thing is that dogs have a completely different digestive system to humans, so the risks of raw chicken (ie salmonella) aren't an issue in a healthy dog - most dogs carry the salmonella bacteria in their gut anyway, with no ill effects.  Chicken bones have long been known to be a risk, but as mentioned above, it is cooked bones that cause the problems.... a chicken wing is no more dangerous than eating a rabbit would be (which, of course, is an entirely natural prey for a dog).   :D

Obviously, dogs don't have to have chicken wings  ;)  but they are a safe and healthy meal or treat, depending on how you use them.  There have been horror stories, but then dogs have choked on kibble, so there's always going to be a horror story whatever you feed.

Finally, I would reiterate what Monsterspaniel said that, if anyone does decide to go over to a fully raw diet, please do research it properly - I've heard of a lot of people who say they are feeding raw, but don't feed any offal, or sometimes no bones (or alternatives), which can lead to nutritional problems.  There is a lot of information to absorb when you research it - especially as there are many different raw models out there - but once you get the gist of it, it's fairly straightforward... but it's definately worth reading up, choosing what model you are planning to follow and working out what you need to feed before you get started.  The first few months of feeding Honey raw, I weighed meals, worked of ratios of what she had eaten etc - but then I settled into a pattern and now I am satisified she has a balanced healthy diet without needing to worry.  :D

Alot of people taking the chiclen wing plunge  :D how long do they need to defrost?? And how many times a week can they be given as a treat?

We normally get one out of the freezer and feed it the following morning.  As a treat I would probably give one wing twice a week.  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 12:30:33 PM »
We freeze the chicken wings before feeding them, so all the bugs are killed off.

We also give them to our litters at around 5 weeks, they start by eating the soft tip only then as the days/weeks go by they eat the lot and I don't bash them up, great for those lovely sharp teeth too!

Offline seaangler

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »
Quote from Karma...(This is what i wonted to hear).. The thing is that dogs have a completely different digestive system to humans, so the risks of raw chicken (ie salmonella) aren't an issue in a healthy dog - most dogs carry the salmonella bacteria in their gut anyway, with no ill effects.

....Thanks karma....Now to persuade the wife

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 03:49:44 PM »
Have been giving Pippa chicken wings but two days ago she also swallowed one whole then through it up.  Not sure whether to carry on now.

Jeff does this every now and then - he chews the thrown up wing second time round  :020: Not very pleasant for us but hasn't done him any harm

Offline starboy

• Site Member
  • Theo and Apollo
    • Starboy
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »
Theo often eats them in just one or two bites. Never brings them back up and never has any problems. Theo's only problem is that we don't give them to him every time he sits next to the fridge.  :005: :005: :005:
From the Darby family

Offline pennylopey

• Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »
I've also read on here of dogs having chicken wings but have always been told 'no bones'!

Think I might nip to Aldi on the way home, I reckon Alfie would love a nice old chicken wing. I think I might be feeding him outside though, not sure I want raw chicken dragged all around the kitchen floor... ph34r

So am I right in thinking he has one chicken wing to replace one meal, no bashing necessary? He hasn't yet got all of his adult teeth and has a couple of wobblys, will this still be OK?
Missing Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020

Offline seaangler

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »
Been shopping got the dogs there food........Plus....Pigs trocters. ears, pig rolls ,marly bones, hides,.....BUT NO chicken wings...... >:(

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »
Shall I get chicken wings tomorrow or not  :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:  One of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make  :005:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 02:25:28 PM »
Go on Neon   :D  Give it a try.  I was very dubious but it was a real treat for Pebbles.   :D
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »
Go on Neon   :D  Give it a try.  I was very dubious but it was a real treat for Pebbles.   :D

I'd love to Sara, I'm sure he'd enjoy them.  Just a bit dubious still. X

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
Go on give it a go...Here is Bob with his first one ever

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »
Ahhh, the gorgeous Bob.  Looks like he's really enjoying it, bless him  :luv:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
Quote from Karma...(This is what i wonted to hear).. The thing is that dogs have a completely different digestive system to humans, so the risks of raw chicken (ie salmonella) aren't an issue in a healthy dog - most dogs carry the salmonella bacteria in their gut anyway, with no ill effects.

....Thanks karma....Now to persuade the wife

Just think how ill people would be if they drank out of muddy puddles and eat cat sh*t  ph34r ;)

And on the issue of choking, Millie choked really badly on a hand full of kibble once. And FOUR TIMES in the last month Charlie or Millie have managed to get a gravy bone completely stuck in the roof of their mouths  :dunno: so they can choke on anything. 

Millie