Author Topic: Insurance Again!  (Read 8961 times)

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Insurance Again!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2005, 10:59:30 AM »
I thought More Than covers for life.
I could be wrong but hope not as I've just transferred 2 of mine to them!
I've got Scooby covered with More Than (and it is life cover).  I'd only taken out insurance 2 weeks before Scooby's accident (haven't even paid anything yet as they are offering 2 months free) and they have so far paid out £1,500.00 for vet costs due to his accident - no hassle.
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 09:08:34 PM »
I called More Than back to check their insurance cover, it's £6000 of cover per ailment for as long as the £6000 lasts for that ailment, it definately isn't life cover. Once that £6000 is spent your on your own.

Although it is a lot of money, I doubt if, God forbid, one of my babies developed a heart condition at the age of 3, £6000 wouldn't see them a life time.

So we've gone with Direct Line - hope we never need to use it.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Insurance Again!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2005, 09:56:38 PM »
I called More Than back to check their insurance cover, it's £6000 of cover per ailment for as long as the £6000 lasts for that ailment, it definately isn't life cover. Once that £6000 is spent your on your own.

Although it is a lot of money, I doubt if, God forbid, one of my babies developed a heart condition at the age of 3, £6000 wouldn't see them a life time.

So we've gone with Direct Line - hope we never need to use it.
Sorry if I misled you earlier in this thread Janice, but the Direct Line cover is no different from More Than - £6000 limit on each condition  :ph34r:

PetPlan offer an unlimited cover for life policy, but the premiums are much higher to reflect this  :(  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2005, 10:44:05 PM »
I'll check again tomorrow, but I specifically asked for a 'for life policy', and they told me this was a new addition to their insurance.

No harm in checking it out - again.

Bye the way the premium is £25.40 to cover both Vahri and Rufus.

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 04:36:01 PM »
You were quite right IWLass, it was only until your £6000 ran out. I told them I thought it was rather naughty of them to sell this as a life policy, when infact it's 'a £6000 limit and you're on your own policy'!!!  :huh:

The explaination being it can be for longer for a year if the £6000 lasts that long  :rolleyes: .

Think it'll have to be Pet Plan  B)  

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Insurance Again!
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 05:38:39 PM »
Think it'll have to be Pet Plan  B)
PetPlan wanted £17.00 per month for Scooby - so really, even though you are getting unlimited life cover you are definetly paying for it (nothing comes free  :( ), so even though you do have the piece of mind you have to weigh up whether it's worth it  <_<  
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 06:00:20 PM »
:) Does anyone know - is Petplan the only company that does a genuine 'for life' policy?  :blink:  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Insurance Again!
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 06:12:35 PM »
I told them I thought it was rather naughty of them to sell this as a life policy, when infact it's 'a £6000 limit and you're on your own policy'!!!  :huh:
Industry standard is to descibe any policy that CAN last for the life of the dog to be described as life - with any maximum claim limits stated as such. This is to distingiush them from the policies that offer cover for the first 12 months of any condition  - again, with or without  an upper maximum limit.

The online quote for an unlimited lifetime policy from Petplan for Molo is £23.50 per month with a £70 excess. We pay Directline £15.72 for a Lifetime policy with a £6000 maximum on each condition with a £35 excess.  On balance, we decided that the Directline policy was better value, as we are more likely to claim for treatment over £35 several times in Molo's lifetime, than he need a single condition treatment costing over £6000  :unsure:  
Oldies Club

Offline alan&ness

• Site Member
    • http://
Insurance Again!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 07:10:11 PM »
:D Hi all , Check out Sainsburys £6,500 per treatment & upto £1,500 life cover, Underwriten by axa insurance. :D
ALAN NESS&MONTY

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Insurance Again!
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 07:18:56 PM »
Oscar is insured with Pet Plan and I can't rate them highly enough - so far :)

Scully isn't insured because no company would touch her (unless I paid massive premiums) due to her health conditions that she was born with. All the insurance companies said that as she was born with problems then these were classed as pre-exisiting conditions - hence the enormous premiums.

Mind you - when it comes to Scully we'd go bankrupt if we had to, to pay her vets bills. Nothing is too much for our golden girl :D
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 08:43:13 PM »
Hi,
I had Piper insured with M&S while we were in the UK.  I had no trouble hassle sorting out insurance for her - they paid out lots of money with no problems at all (even reduced my premium after the first year).  M&S cover is lifetime cover as far as I am aware - i.e. for the remainder of the dogs life you continue to receive your 6,500 or whatever it is for each condition.  From my personal perspective I can recommend M&S - also I was advised once by one of the ladies at the M&S call centre that M&S insurance and Petplan were one and the same..........

That said, I have read that others have had problems recently with exemptions and poor customer service so maybe things are changing now that they have a healthy chunk of the market  :huh:   At the end of the day I know that Petplan are usually more expensive than other insurance companies but I do know many people who's animals are insured by them and if you want excellent coverage, no quibbling, lifetime cover and good customer service then they may be the direction to head in.

Louise
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Insurance Again!
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2005, 09:00:47 PM »
That said, I have read that others have had problems recently with exemptions and poor customer service so maybe things are changing now that they have a healthy chunk of the market  :huh:   

Its probably also to do with the fact that as part of the "rescue package" last August M & S sold their financial services divison to HSBC as a way to keep the share holders happy:
M & S Money Sale press release

We were looking to insure Molo at the time this sale was announced - and we specifically decided that despite their great reputation, we would steer clear - probably a good job too  :rolleyes:
Oldies Club

Offline Jessica's Mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Insurance Again!
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2005, 08:21:10 PM »
Jessica is insured with M&S. we haven't had to claim yet, fortunately, but the friend who recommended M&S to us has and had no problems :)
Jackie and Jessica

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2005, 05:10:24 PM »
My 2 are with vet2pet.co.uk (think cornhill might underwrite it).. It does cover you for conditions that are for life, however I do think there is a maximum amount (per year?)
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Sue H

Insurance Again!
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2005, 08:07:03 PM »
There must be a broker who can give us a breakdown of all the costs and coverage which we could apply for ... why don't we just give a load of brokers various specs including lifetime cover and see what they come up with ??

It could be interesting ...