Author Topic: Urgent help needed re insurance  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Christal

Urgent help needed re insurance
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »
I'm really upset at the moment.
Just had an email from the breeder saying Misty has a hernia, which needs to be operated on.

Question I really need answering is: ~Will this affect any insurance I get for her? I want the Lifetime Insurance as I can't afford to pay massive vet bills in the future, and don't know if this will affect that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Urgent help needed re insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:47:38 PM »
Is the breeder paying for the hernia doing?? I wouldn't like to say if it would affect your insurance I suppose it depends who you are going with. The hernia is probably going to be a one off thing so it shouldn't really make any difference, sorry I couldn't be of more help. x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »
It may vary from company to company - I would think worst case scenario would be an exclusion on any future issue that may occur as a direct result of the hernia and/or surgery. Also, if it's classed as hereditary, not many policies would cover that anyway.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »
If the hernia is going to be done before you get your puppy I should think it will not be included particularly as I wouldn't imagine she will have it done under insurance.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 04:27:15 PM »
has the breeder not got the free kennel club insurance that most pups come with

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »
What kind of hernia is it? Small umbilical hernias don't have to be dealt with straight away - very small ones may not need anything doing at all but if surgery is needed, often owners get it done at the same time as neutering.
Jane

Offline Christal

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 02:04:20 AM »
She had the operation today and is absolutely fine according to the breeder.

What I was worried about was when I take my own insurance out I'll obviously have to declare the hernia operation, even though it happened before I bought her,( the breeder asked me if I still wanted her) and am worried that they will say in that case we won't cover 'this or that'. 
Not sure what else a hernia can affect.  I'm told the vet has said she's fine and there won't be any repercussions.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:30:55 AM »
Our Heidi has a small hernia, the vets didn't even bother to remove when she was spayed as it was sealed inside and it has not caused any problems.  Insurance would not of covered anything relating to it though as a pre-existing condition!  (It would of been purely cosmetic)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:04:34 AM »
has the breeder not got the free kennel club insurance that most pups come with

Breeders or their relations cannot get the free insurance, I know from experience. >:D

The chances of problems following the hernia op are rare so should not affect any insurance. One of my puppies has a hernia and the owners will have it done when he is neutered, I will pay the extra cost.

Phoebe has a hernia but it has never caused any problems and I cannot see the point in putting her through the stress of an op for the sake of it.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »
Our own experience of this is that our Shih-Tzu had a hernia as a pup but was tucked in when she was spayed.

My MIL's Cav had one all his life and there was never any further bother from both of them.

As a pre-existing condition it might well affect the insurance, but I would not expect any further bother from it.
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline Christal

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 10:56:21 AM »
Thanks for all your replies.

The op has been done and she is fine. I don't know if the breeder payed or it was done on insurance.

I'm reassured that there won't be long term effects so even if the insurance I get says any problems relating to it aren't covered there shouldn't be any  :D

This insurance lark is a minefield and I'm demented before I even get her home!  :005: