Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Rufus01

Pet Insurance
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »
Hello,

In 2 weeks my husband and I will be the very proud owners of a lovely orange roan cocker spaniel. I am just looking in to pet insurance for him and wondered if anyone has any advice. He is insured by the KC for the first 4 weeks but wondering whether to stay with them or whether to move elsewhere. I have been advised to go with an insurer that only does pets but not sure. Any ideas very welcome!!

Thanks, Anna  :D

Offline rachy85

• Rocco :)
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »
Hi Anna

When I got my pup I started exactly the same thread!! And people on here are really good with recommendations! I ended up going with sainsburys. It is about 12.50 a month and I get double nectar points for 2 years if I keep the policy going. Mine is the option 2 where there is cover for ongoing problems upto about 7 thousand pounds I think.

They were great when Rocco got stung and it turned into a abcess. The vet bill was just short of 300 pounds, so we claimed. The cheque was on my door mat within a month so I was very happy. Totally stress free :)

I'm sure others will have similar recommendations x

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:13:09 AM »
i was with sainsburys last year with ella and bailey , but my new pup is with AXA , the main thing to look out for is LIFETIME cover, if you go onto the home page and scroll down there is a bit on insurance there, its pretty helpful but the deals change, make sure you cover your new pup BEFORE the old petplan insurance runs out as there is usually an exclusion time , mine was two weeks so ive covered Milo from the 12th of this month even though the petplan ins doesnt run out until the end of the month as i wanted to make sure nothing could go wrong  ;)
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:19:32 AM »
Two of mine are with M&S, which is great cover and brilliant at paying out - but veeeeery expensive premiums these days.

My other two are with AXA, again great cover and pay out without problems, and premiums are very reasonable (at the moment).
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »
I am with petplan and have been for about 20 odd years .. first with my Bichon and now with Bob.
its not the cheapest, but i have found it very very good, i have never had a claim dismist, and they have always payed
up very quickly and direct to the vet.
you must go for  COVER FOR LIFE. My Bichon Daisy had cruciate ligament in her knee done,
and while she was recovering, using only one leg the strain on the good leg was too much and she ended up having to have that one done as well, this cost a lots and lots, and was on going as she had to have metacam for life, and a pain killer.
you never know what is going to happen to your dogs health... so go for the beast you can afford
once you have used them you can not change so choose wisely

Offline Rufus01

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
Thanks so much to everyone for replies-really useful feedback and will help us make a decision.

Anna :D

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 04:05:19 PM »
Hi there please look for lifetime cover.  I am with direct line for Charlie.  They have been great in the 10 years we have been with them BUT will only pay either £6000 or 1 year for any illness.  Charlie at 12y/o has a grade 4 heart murmur his year is up and we are having to pay for any meds and treatment he will need in the future.  My mistake next time I will look for lifetime cover even if the premium costs are a bit higher.
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition