Author Topic: Darcey is uninsured. Is now insured :)  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
Re: Darcey is uninsured
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 04:38:52 PM »
Maybe other COL's can help fill some of the figures.  As it would be interesting working  it out.

Say just £250 per year for insurance  x 10 years.   = £2500

How much vet care can you get for £2500 ?

Cost of an x-ray ?

Cost of an overnight stay ?

Thats a really good way to look at it, makes it seem very reasonable indeed  :blink:

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »
We've never insured our pets ((cat /dog)).... ((don't show him this comment))  ;)

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 04:53:06 PM »
I would try and get some basic cover.  My experience over the last year is, ear infections between my two getting upto near £3000, I know, sounds horrendous, but Katie has had to have GA's for ear flushings as hers was a really bad case in both ears.  

She has managed to puncture her lower abdomen Sunday and had to be stitched yesterday costing £255.00.  

About 3 months ago, a hawthorn had penetrated between her toes, costing again near £200.00.  

Don't want to scare you but I'm so glad I've got insurance to back us up.  Althought, I'm a bit sceptical about prices?, do vets bump the costs up because they know you have insurance  :-\  I did quiz my vet about this after Katie/Willows expensive ear infections and he said, we can give you as a customer 'discounts'  :-\

Willow and Katie

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
For those who just want liability insurance, Join the dogs trust  costs around 25 pounds and I think it covers you for a million. [please check there website] It covers all your dogs for that price too.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 06:57:01 PM »
Insurance would be the one thing we wouldn't cancel no matter how tight things are, one because of the litigeous (sp) state we are turning into and two, whilst I would go starving and homeless in order to pay for medical treatement for either Muppet or Krumble, I would never forgive myself if I just couldn't afford that "last treatment!"
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline Beezzzkneez

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 07:25:12 PM »
I had the discussion with colleagues at work today and both their dogs are uninsured. Consensus was that since the dog is young it hardly won't be necessary and if it gets so sick it runs up a bill in the thousands it's neither fair on the owner nor the dog to keep it alive. I've just insured Maike because I just can't take that pragmatic view, I'm afraid.

I agree, get some basic cover - we were going to go with Sainsbury's insurance but in the end went with vetsmedicover, but can change any time.
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11

Offline karen488

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 08:05:11 PM »
Am now allowed at £12 ish per month.  :cool4: now which one?

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »
We have never had insurance.  We've taken the risk ourselves, but maybe we shouldn't.  And you never know - so maybe a good thing would be to put £100 a month or whatever into a separate savings account.  That way it will mount up and if you are lucky and never need it, you will still have it at the end of your pet's life.  Just a suggestion - I'm not advocating it.

Offline karen488

Re: Darcey is uninsured. Is now insured :)
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »
All insured again. :) £15.73 with John Lewis (Axa). Just hope now that I never have to use it!

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »
All insured again. :) £15.73 with John Lewis (Axa). Just hope now that I never have to use it!

I'm with Axa and recently made my first claim, all paid out no trouble. Lots of other COLers recommend them

Offline SandraD

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
We have always had Monty insured, my reasons are very similar to Leisl's.  As some of you will know, I left a fit, healthy and happy dog at the kennels when we went away on holiday recently only to came back to a very sick little chap indeed.  It is scary just how quickly vet fees build up and we are already up to about £3,000 in costs for Monty's treatment and we haven't finished yet.

So glad you managed to get something sorted out.  It's one of those things you hope you never have to use, but on this occasion I'm jolly thankful we had insurance in place!