Author Topic: Getting so confused re insurance policies  (Read 3362 times)

Offline ali2010

Getting so confused re insurance policies
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:59:50 PM »
Albert is currently insured with E & L - we rehomed him almost a year ago and to be honest I didn't know any better so went with E & L who I have since been told are very difficult to claim from

I am therefore getting new quotes for insurance but am getting so confused - my limit is £25 per month and I have had a few quotes for around this price who will insurance up to £4000 per condition - is this enough?

Can anyone recommend a decent insurance company which doesn't cost stupid money? 

Also am a bit worried as I notice that some insurances ask if Albert has ever been aggressive towards any dog or any person - we have had a few "instances" where he has growled and gone to bite but he has never actually injured.  Don't want to lie but this we may not get insurance if not careful!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Getting so confused re insurance policies
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:10:25 PM »
I took out a new policy with Axa a few months ago for Disney - £7000 cover for about £18 a month (he is 7 years old).

I've always just answered no to the question about aggression  ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:02:23 PM »
Ive also moved two of mine to Axa , they seem to be doing the best deal at the moment , ive got the £7000 cover and it was quite reasonable  :D
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »
I will be sticking with Pet plan at the moment
I also have 7k cover
Although may decided to choose a different company when we get Riley, I think i am best to stick with Pet plan for diesel at the moment
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:37:58 PM »
Sainsbury's seem fairly decent.  Have had one claim which I didn't think they would pay for because I forgot to mention that Lexi had an eye infection the previous year.  She was treated earlier this year for eye trauma (which had become infected) - vet argued that it was a completely different matter.  I do wonder if they paid up because I have 3 other dogs (with no pre-existing conditions) and also insured with them.  Had they not paid out I would have cancelled all the policies and moved the dogs.

I have their top rate which is £7500 (per condition) (underwritten by Axa) and I pay £13.33 per month for Roly, £13.35 for Ellie, £10.73 for Misha, and £11.15 for Lexi.  Why the prices differ so much I don't know, but I know there was a discount for the 2nd dog and you usually pay more for boys!.  It also covers complementary therapies per condition to £1000. Also you get nectar points as well.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
Sainsbury's seem fairly decent.  Have had one claim which I didn't think they would pay for because I forgot to mention that Lexi had an eye infection the previous year.  She was treated earlier this year for eye trauma (which had become infected) - vet argued that it was a completely different matter.  I do wonder if they paid up because I have 3 other dogs (with no pre-existing conditions) and also insured with them.  Had they not paid out I would have cancelled all the policies and moved the dogs.

I have their top rate which is £7500 (per condition) (underwritten by Axa) and I pay £13.33 per month for Roly, £13.35 for Ellie, £10.73 for Misha, and £11.15 for Lexi.  Why the prices differ so much I don't know, but I know there was a discount for the 2nd dog and you usually pay more for boys!.  It also covers complementary therapies per condition to £1000. Also you get nectar points as well.

I may change to Sainsburys then - I pay for diesel what you pay for Roly and Lexi added together !!  :o
My name is Diesel

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:16:53 PM »
I have their top rate which is £7500 (per condition)

A lot of insurance is usually 7k per year rather than per condition. Sainsburys is per condition., but others like Axa are per year. I use to think that it would take quite a major illness to use the whole of the 7k but I have spent close to that with Jacob already. Thankfully he is with axa so I am able to spend 7k per year on him and he is having all of the surgery he needs. Jacob isn't quite 2 years old and if I had insured him with Sainsburys, then I would have aleady used up the 7k for his hips and would have to cover all of his meds (which he's likely to be on long term) for the rest of his life

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »
I have their top rate which is £7500 (per condition)

A lot of insurance is usually 7k per year rather than per condition. Sainsburys is per condition., but others like Axa are per year. I use to think that it would take quite a major illness to use the whole of the 7k but I have spent close to that with Jacob already. Thankfully he is with axa so I am able to spend 7k per year on him and he is having all of the surgery he needs. Jacob isn't quite 2 years old and if I had insured him with Sainsburys, then I would have aleady used up the 7k for his hips and would have to cover all of his meds (which he's likely to be on long term) for the rest of his life

Think you will find that every insurance will have a cap, and the Sainsbury's cover is per condition in any one insurance year, so the next year if you renew the policy you have that same limit again.  A limit that is per year means that when you have used that to the maximum, should your pet require treatment for another condition in the same insurance year it won't be covered as you will have used your limit.  It is underwritten by AXA so is essentially the same policy that you have taken out with AXA. ;)
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
I took out Sainsbury's ins....when the paperwork came it said per condition so i rang to clarify the meaning  :-\ i was told quite clearly it was 'per condition' and that the £7,000 did not re commence the following year for the same condition  :embarassed: Once you had spent £7,000 on that condition that was that  :huh: no more  :huh: I cancelled it and went to AXA direct and took their life long which did re commence each year  ;) (it was cheaper too ) :005: Hope that's clear  ph34r

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »
Definitely give John Lewis a ring!! (previously was called Greenbee insurance). Their policy is great, and cheapest I found. Plus Ive been with them for 4 years now, and the price doesnt hike up each year, and when I had £4000 worth of surgery on Alfie, they just paid up quickly, no questions.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 08:03:14 PM »
Definitely give John Lewis a ring!! (previously was called Greenbee insurance). Their policy is great, and cheapest I found. Plus Ive been with them for 4 years now, and the price doesnt hike up each year, and when I had £4000 worth of surgery on Alfie, they just paid up quickly, no questions.

I'm with Greenbee (John Lewis now) and have had lots of claims for both of them. Flo has hypothyroidism,all her meds and regular testing are paid and she is covered for life .Barnaby has just been  for yet another 5 warts removed, also a suspicious lump in his mouth which fortunately was benign, they have paid directly to my vet with no problems each time,  ;)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »
its very confusing these days as in earlier post i was with sainsburys (underwitten by AXA) Im now with AXA and its a better deal, when i was looking most of the insurance companies are underwritten by Axa anyway  :-\ :-\ and the axa do lifelong  :blink:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 07:08:46 AM »
its very confusing these days as in earlier post i was with sainsburys (underwitten by AXA) Im now with AXA and its a better deal, when i was looking most of the insurance companies are underwritten by Axa anyway  :-\ :-\ and the axa do lifelong  :blink:
I have just cancelled my sainsburys policy for my 8 year old Vizsla, as the renewal came though at £55 per month :o The quote I received from Axa yesterday for the same level of cover is £39 :shades: :D

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 09:50:08 AM »
Just be careful when changing insurance companies, if you have had any previous claims ,that condition will probably be excluded from cover.

Also, cover may be refused f you have consulted a vet for a condition, even though you have not claimed for it .

I would also advise that if the renewal seems excessive you speak to your insurance company. I once did this and had the premium reduced considerably  ;) 
There is also always the chance that a mistake has been made  :dunno:

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 11:01:59 AM »
Just like car insurance renewals - they send you out a riddiculous renewal price - you phone them and miraculously they manage to reduce it  >:D
My name is Diesel