Author Topic: Fasting your dog...Who does!!  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
Re: Fasting your dog...Who does!!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »
I am really interested to hear the reasons/benefits of fasting.
I would never do it though, my dogs would drive me nuts constantly asking for food on their 'day off' ! :shades:   :005:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
The only time we fast are dogs is if they have the liquid poo poos... :D

even then i don't see a need for it  :huh:  Georgia had sickness/diarhoea last night but this morning she is absolutely fine & has been fed as normal with no adverse effect.
If it did carry on i would give her natural bio yoghurt/chicken/rice or white fish/rice with the yoghurt.
I always worry that by not feeding them it would make them feel weak/lose their stamina.  Most humans would feel like this without food.  :huh:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
Why ? ... is this a control thing?  :huh:

NO!  Definitely not!  

Bluegirl is far from cruel to do this - dogs can live for weeks without food (water is a different story) so 1 day is nothing.

here's a link for you http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-you-should-fast-your-dog/

(and by the way I have a friend that fasts every Monday - has done so for the last 20 years.  He's the fittest person I know.....  ph34r )

edited to add - Jarvis self fasts - he can often go without food for a day.  If he does it for more than a day then I worry, but if he doesn't want to eat a meal I don't force the issue.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
Both my girls are from Bluegirls litters and I can assure you, the starvation is for their health and welfare as is everything else she does for her dogs.  As far as i can remember it is to rest their organs ....although Bluegirl will tell you as she is the expert.  Not one of her dogs is lacking in stamina and speaking for myself, a day without food would do me the world of good!  
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:43 PM »
I follow a natural rearing diet which advocates fasting any adult dog once a week. The idea of a meat free and fast day is to rest the kidneys which tend to be over worked in animals who have a high protein diet. Now before anyone jumps down my throat I know research is being done on this subject which may suggest otherwise but that aside research already done does show there seems to be a link between calorie restriction and longevity, whether than is because it delays the onset of killer diseases (kidney disease being just one) or just increases long life is unclear as yet. But as with most things its about believing in what you do and preferences. I would never have considered fasting prior to taking up this diet but I was in a desperate place when I started to look for alternative diets and after all the reading this one struck a chord with me the most.

Also if I am to follow a more natural diet I am to assume that for wild animals it would never be 2 meals a day for life there would be periods were food was scarce, again these opportunities would allow the kidneys to rest. Having lost a dog to kidney disease I know only too well how heart breaking it is to have your beloved pet in organ failure and I would never wish to visit that time again so my main reason has always been for the health of my dogs. I want them to get to old age without the added insult of failing organs which may have been exacerbated through diet choice / not fasting. This diet has been tried and tested and parsley and fasting has been shown to maintain kidney function (I know that parsley works having proof of a major change in my dogs blood work before and after starting parsley infusions  following a diagnosis of end stage kidney failure so I must believe the same to be true of fasting.

I would never undertake anything without giving it a go and I have done several 4 day and 1 x 6 day fasts myself and all I can say is I felt well, mind clear and once past the first day no hunger issues and tbh I only think I was hungry on the first day because we are conditioned to having 3 meals a day. My dogs are fasted once a week and have grown accustomed to our routine. They know instantly that if they come back from a walk on sunday and no breakfast is offered then it is a fast day and they just settle down, even Bronte who could eat a flocked bed every other day of the week just accepts it!

My actions are not intended to be cruel and are only done with the very best intentions at heart. Again I have no proof as yet with my own dogs as to whether fasting will make a difference to their elderly health and life span and I accept that my choice is a minority choice but this is my belief and I hope my efforts will be rewarded.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 06:38:22 PM »
just interested , the people who fast their dogs, do you fast yourself , the only time i fast my dogs is when i am told to do so by my vet. i really dont know why anyone would do this for no reason , i couldnt look at my dogs faces knowing they hadnt eaten and i had, i know its probably wrong but in most cases i always try and put myself in a dogs position , ie would i like to wear a huge fur coat all of the time in the summer, or would i like to be forced to not eat for a day , Mmm no  :huh:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »
just interested , the people who fast their dogs, do you fast yourself , the only time i fast my dogs is when i am told to do so by my vet. i really dont know why anyone would do this for no reason , i couldnt look at my dogs faces knowing they hadnt eaten and i had, i know its probably wrong but in most cases i always try and put myself in a dogs position , ie would i like to wear a huge fur coat all of the time in the summer, or would i like to be forced to not eat for a day , Mmm no  :huh:

Yes I do fast but not once a week, but only because I have Gilberts syndrome and fasting make me slightly jaundiced. ph34r
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
Bluegirl --that awnsers alot of questions, i must have posted at the same time as you and understand that you are doing so in your belief thats its in the best interests of your dogs  :blink:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 07:06:22 PM »
Thank you Helen for the link and bluegirl for your post. Very interesting and it does make sense, I will think about it and do more reading I think.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »
Seriously why would anyone want to starve their dog unless it was to do with some kind of medical reason or the dog was fussy.

I think making a dog go without eating is cruel they are not people.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »
Bluegirl just explained why in her detailed answer and I am sorry but I find your post extremely rude.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 07:32:40 PM »
I suppose it depends on your opinion of cruelty - if I'm truly honest I think that over-feeding and under-exercising dogs is cruel....and there are an awful lot of obese dogs out there.  

I wouldn't have a problem fasting my dog - he does it himself sometimes anyway - as long as they have free access to water a day it is not cruel.

(oh and yes OH and I have actually FORGOTTEN to feed Jarvis on some very rare occasions - he didn't even notice  :D )
helen & jarvis x

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 07:33:59 PM »
Bluegirl just explained why in her detailed answer and I am sorry but I find your post extremely rude.

Agreed, completely respect Bluegirls decision to do this as its clearly what she believes to be in the best interests of her dogs. Freya would probably leave home if I tried it  :005:
I also agree with helen, obesity in dogs is by far more cruel than a days fasting imo

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I would feel dreadful taking my dogs out for exercise on a Sunday morning and then giving no breakfast  :'( but thats me I'm very soft  :luv:

Not something we would ever consider, but if Bluegirl has always done this, the dogs wouldn't know any different

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 07:40:49 PM »

Agreed, completely respect Bluegirls decision to do this as its clearly what she believes to be in the best interests of her dogs. Freya would probably leave home if I tried it  :005:
I also agree with helen, obesity in dogs is by far more cruel than a days fasting imo

Exactly my thoughts  :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx