Author Topic: M & S Pet insurance upgrading  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
M & S Pet insurance upgrading
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:40:42 AM »
Last year the M & S Policy that I have on Bailey went up, so I downgraded to the Standard cover of £4000 a year, it was only when I got
my renewal this month that I realised he was only covered for £1000 per illness or injury.
I have just rung them to get a quote for upgrading him back to the Premium cover (£7000 per year and no limit on each separate illness or injury)  and they say if I upgrade I am not covered for any pre existing illness. In 2009 he was kept in at the vets for 3 nights with loss of appetite, dehydration, and they say vomiting ( i cannot remember if he did or not but they have it on the claim) and so this would not be covered. Given that dogs can have these symptoms for various reasons they might refuse to pay out again. At the time the vets did not give a clear idea as to what it was ( we had just come back from Sandringham, and that is when the mysterious illness found there began to appear)

So I don't know what to do, I could stay as I am, upgrade with them and may not be covered for sickness, or change to a different company and still might not be covered for sickness. The premium for Standard Cover is £239.88, £19.99 a month

What do you think?
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: M & S Pet insurance upgrading
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:34:37 PM »
If it was me (and that's the only pre-existing condition he has) I would be inclined to move to a different company if you can get similar level of cover for cheaper. Another thing to consider is that quite a few companies have been withdrawing from the pet insurance market so it might be wise to look into those whose main business is insurance as they may be more reliable long-term.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »
Having similiar problems at the moment as organising insurance for new pup and renewing policy for my 6yr old...we were with M &S when the oldest was a pup and prices just kept rising and rising..switched her to asda at start of year but discovered that cover not really adequate..she has also had surgery as fell off bed and smashed 5 teeth. Just trawled internet for quotes tonight and best i have found is Argos....14.99 for pup which is lifetime cover with 7000 pounds of vet fees per year....and 22.00 for 6yr old lifetime cover...thought that was great deal considering M&S wanted £39 pounds just for the eldest. Have to say i did notice that lots of insurers are not offering as good cover as they have previously

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
Thanks for replies, just switched to More Than 7k cover, and it cost £16.91 a month as apposed to £19.99 for 4K cover and limit of £1k for each ailment with M & S
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »
Thanks for replies, just switched to More Than 7k cover, and it cost £16.91 a month as apposed to £19.99 for 4K cover and limit of £1k for each ailment with M & S

I'm not sure how old Bailey is but don't forget that More Than also ask for a percentage of the bill as well as the excess - I'm not sure what age that kicks in at so may not be relevant at the moment.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 10:20:17 PM »
Yes thanks I did realise this I think it applies at any age.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella