Author Topic: should cocker spaniels wear a holti ?  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
Re: should cocker spaniels wear a holti ?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
Eve I can not help you with that ..... but i can tell you it is made from a very soft material
it has not made any marks on Bob but he is much darker colour than Dexter....

sounds like you need to see it first ... Good luck with your showing... Dexter dose look fab
i do like the glodes

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
The k9 brindle sounds good i will check that out , Amber has had the holti on every day since Saturday (for walks) and this morning was quite agitated and started trying to really pull it off, managed to calm her with a treat ! but i have noticed that she has become quite intolerant of a couple of dogs when we waked on the pavement they were sniffing each other and then Amber nearly snapped at them ?? could this now be holti problems ?? she is usually good with other dogs .

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »
I am not sure if that is because of the head collar..... it may just be an on lead thing...
Bob is not very good with other dog if he is on lead.... i think he feels my tention down the lead...
or it may be the Flight Fright Fight Thing.....
 when they are on lead the only thing they can do is Fight  :huh:
Bob is fine off lead ..... But i am no Expert .... i am sure someone will come along to help you
with this soon....

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
i used to use the halti on my collie but it would ride into his eyes . i now use a dogmatic and its brill more padded and dosent ride up and hes beginning to work well in it

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »
I used a halti years ago on my cocker and it worked a treat all his life.  No problems at all.
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline Alex77

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »
i have had several halti's (different sizes because none of them ever fitted comfortably), the gentle leader (ok but bit fidly to get on), and found all of them a pain to be honest one way or another.  I also found eye squishing an issue :005:
then whilst at a car boot, saw a lady walking round with a georgous black working cocker, not pulling, with what turned out to be a very simple contraption, that didn't look odd or uncomfortable, didn't dig in anywhere! eyes not at all affected!
it turned out to be a soft slip lead, but put on in a figure of eight so it looped round the nose, and if the dog pulled, it would pull from up behind the neck/head. makes complete sense when you see it done this way.  I've never looked back, nor has me mum who got the same for her poodle cross. It's totally un fiddly to put on which is great when you've got three dogs, and Jazzy is more than happy walking with it like this, so's my arm.
"the more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs".

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 08:01:50 PM »
yes that doe`s sound interesting thankyou!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 10:19:14 PM »
some people swear by mekuti harnesses
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline seaangler

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 10:29:11 PM »
Dexter is now 32 kgs and I struggle to hold onto him if he sees other dogs to play with. I think I will try Pudding's recommendation with a K9 bridle.  I notice the company is in Lincolnshire.

I am going to the Boston Champ Show in January and will email them to see if they will be there.

My problem is that my SIL who shows Dexter is concerned that a halti/bridle will mark his stop.

....To go with the pridle...I have a spare saddle for dexter :005:

Gemma..Cindy And peggy