Author Topic: Pet insurance, the best one  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Judith

• Hearts and flowers to my dogs!
Pet insurance, the best one
« on: March 16, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
Hi, just sorting out pet insurance as my puppy cover from the kennel club has ran out. I have tried a couple and got some advice that green was good, and quick paying if ever claimed, but when I checked the policy documents, it was accident only and not illness cover. 
Any ideas on which is the best one, and not overly priced to cover lifetime, accident and illness? I have used price comparison sites but it doesn't give full details and so would have to accept their offer and then cancel again if not right and I dont want to have to mess on like that. Any ideas?
Thanks loads

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Pet insurance, the best one
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »
Have a read through some of the recent posts on the insurance board

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?board=153.0

Petplan is one of the top ones and very reliable but they can be expensive. Them aside, I would now only be looking at companies whose main business is insurance after Lloyds & Halifax both pulled out of the pet insurance market recently and left a lot of pets with pre-existing conditions and no cover.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:47:20 PM »
Try argos or lv.com  ;) x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:07:34 AM »
From personal experience I would avoid using The Kennel Club insurance like the plague!!
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Have a look through this.  On the right it lists various insurance companies and on the left it gives more detail, including customer reviews. (look out for the reviews actually made by people who have made a claim to see how they rate the company):

http://www.bestpetinsurancereview.co.uk/tag/lifetime

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »
I recently had a good deal with Pets at home.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »
Animal Friends are not one I would recommend, have had a very negative experience with them.

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »
I went with Sainsburys 'option 2' policy, on the recommendation of folks on here.  I have only had to claim once and they paid out VERY quickly.  I think I pay about £12 a month, and make sure you check on quidco if there are offers.

There is no 'best' policy but make sure you get lifetime cover not annual- this is essential!
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »
I have 4 dogs and they are all with different insurers. I have only made 2 claims and was insured with M&S for one and AA for the other both having similar cover to what you want and they both paid out quickly although I'd have to say the quickest was AA.

In the past I have been with More than and they were also very good when it came to paying out. In the last year of my old dogs life we pretty much claimed for something every month and they were very prompt.

My eldest is with Pet plan and it costs a fortune to keep her insured each month, especially when I have never claimed for any illness with her. She's covered for £120000. Still no idea what they will be like if I have to claim.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.