Author Topic: weight for showing  (Read 2221 times)

Offline willows mum

weight for showing
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »
sorry everyone but i just had my little girlie weighed she is 5mths next week and weighs 7.8kgs, her mum is only just 15" and her dad is a shorter stud dog(if thats anything to go by?) I was told she needed to put a little more weight on to show but i have nothing else as a reference, i was wondering if any of you would know if this is a good weight or would you need to see her in the flesh to be able to tell?x Any help would be greatly appreeciated, sorry to be a pain x

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
Re: weight for showing
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »
It's really impossible to tell just by weight whether she needs to gain or lose. You should be able to feel her ribs and she should have a good covering of flesh over the ribs. You have to look at each individuals height and build before you can work out an ideal weight.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:15:14 PM »
Sorry can't say what my Lace was at 5 months but at 12 months my show cocker was 11.4kg and she is now nearly 2 and is just a fraction heavier.

Offline willows mum

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:20:42 PM »
Thanks lynne and jo, i thought it was a stupid question to ask but being blonde i had to ask  :005:Lynne by what you have described she feels pretty good, i can feel her ribs, just,so hopefully on track :blink:

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »
Thanks lynne and jo, i thought it was a stupid question to ask but being blonde i had to ask  :005:Lynne by what you have described she feels pretty good, i can feel her ribs, just,so hopefully on track :blink:

She sounds fine to me. Who told you she needed to gain weight?
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:24:13 PM »
Indie is nearly 8 months now and she is only 8.75kg, but she doesn't look too thin (can feel ribs but there's coverage) and we've had lots of compliments. the ringcraft class leader said we wouldn't want her getting too much taller anyway (she's a little on the small side) and that she was a lovely little pup. Indie hasn't had a season or broadened out yet though so i guess we'll get a little more weight as she matures  :blink: i don't know if this helps, as you know, showing is all new to me so im really only going on what the ringcraft lady said. Saying that, she had her 6 month check up a week ago, and the vet assured me her weight gain was great (about half a kilo in a couple of weeks :O ).

Offline willows mum

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
some ladies at ringcraft told me, i think they were just trying to be helpful,im pleased with her(shes not from a big named kennel i bred her myself), she stacks nicely and stands on the table well,but :embarassed:not so good being looked over :005:we are seriously going to have to work on that.thanks for your help x

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 02:43:12 PM »
They are all different arn't they. Tilly was weighed last week for her pre spay check...has just turned 6 months today and weighs 9.9 kg so she a big girl. Ribs easily felt and vet says she in proportion. Maybe if i was to get her clipped she would be a couple kilo lighter and she just a big hair monster at the moment  :005:

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »
Meant to add that at 5 months she was 8.6 kilo

Offline willows mum

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
lol, i bet she is a hairy monster, shes black isnt she, willows dark b/r  and got some fluff(bless her). wow yes she is obviously bigger than willow,yet i dont expect willow to get much bigger than 15" my girls are both small.So basically you are all confirming what i thought which is ... God im blonde and what a stupid question to ask :lol2:

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »
lol, i bet she is a hairy monster, shes black isnt she, willows dark b/r  and got some fluff(bless her). wow yes she is obviously bigger than willow,yet i dont expect willow to get much bigger than 15" my girls are both small.So basically you are all confirming what i thought which is ... God im blonde and what a stupid question to ask :lol2:

Tilly is Blue roan and very hairy....our older girl is black and 16 kilo(on diet lol)...not a stupid question at all..thats how we all learn.

Offline willows mum

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
lol thanks :blink:

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much. I was whinging at a show about how heavy our boyd is. I was told by a "name" in the breed that it's not what they weigh but how they look in the ring that matters. Boyd was chuffed as it meant he could carry on troughing  :005:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
oh yeah that's right- i read the other day there was originally a weight limit of 25lb (going waaay back to 1879). At the time, weight was a way of defining between Cockers (below 28lb) and Field Spaniels (over 28lb). The weight limit was abolished in 1901  :blink:

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »
oh yeah that's right- i read the other day there was originally a weight limit of 25lb (going waaay back to 1879). At the time, weight was a way of defining between Cockers (below 28lb) and Field Spaniels (over 28lb). The weight limit was abolished in 1901  :blink:

Ahh now it makes sense..thats what Erins goal is...she wants to be 25 kilo  :005: