Author Topic: Bed time  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Dan

Bed time
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:31:25 AM »
Brodie has Been good sleeping the last few nights all the way through but each time she has pooed in her cage and got it all over her bed etc is there anyway at all i can stop her doing this she goes outside before she goes to bed and after she has had her tea! Any suggestions please as want to crack this as don't Wana be cleaning crap up every morning lol

Thanks

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
Re: Bed time
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:33:36 AM »
Hi

I've only had one oops with Miya (who's 9 weeks old) but this may have been our own doing. We've feed her on JWBeloved lamb since she came to us, but one day I decided that the food did not look very appertising and added some pieces of cooked chicken.
She did give us warning in the early hours but we missed it. We noticed her poo the rest of the next day was not as solid as normal.

We bought a new mattress and had the soiled mattress machine washed at the cleaners to ensure the odour was completely eradicated.

I'm pretty new to this but if Brodie can smell where she has fouled before then maybe she thinks it's OK!
Perhaps check her food!!
Are you in an area where you are able to hear her early morning call!!!

Not sure whether this helps but look luck.

Mel.

Offline Dan

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 07:50:50 AM »
Her poos are solid she just stands in it and it gets ln er paws so i have to clean her paws on a morning she is on royal canin food and we hose the bed down then wash it and tumble dry it and it doesn't smell! And don't Wana get her used to our food it's only once every week or so she will get some Sunday dinner as a treat :)

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:48:49 AM »
Brodie is still too young to hold on all the way through the night.  

I'll repeat the tip I gave you earlier; when Molly was a puppy we sectioned off half of her crate, so she was literally only able to stand up, turn around, lie down etc (i.e she had all the room she needed but no more).  Puppies HATE pooing/weeing in their immediate sleeping space, so sectioning off her crate meant that Molly cried in the night for the first few nights, because she needed a wee/poo.  This meant us getting up in the night for a few nights, but it also meant that Molly very quickly learnt that she couldn't go in her crate.

Brodie will see her big crate as being her sleeping area as well as her toilet area.  Sectioning off her crate would stop this but it would mean you getting up in the night until she could hold herself.
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:50:40 AM »
Am I reading this right because I think you may be expecting a 9 week olf puppy to go an entire night already without soiling her crate.  I think your expectations are a little high there....

When we first got our pup we set the alarm for about 4 hours after we went to bed and came down and took him out for a wee and a poo saying nothing but wee wee's and toilet and good boy, put him back to bed and the next night set the alarm for slightly later (about 15 minutes.  After a couple of weeks we were setting the alarm for 6.30 and he was clean throughout the night.

Each pup is different but he was house trained by 12 weeks  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:51:17 AM »
And just to add; be careful what cleaner you use to wash the bed.  Some cleaning liquids are attractive to pups which makes them wee/poo there again.  We put them in the washing machine, or for minor wee's just used the pet cleaning liquid you can get from pets at home/the range etc.
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Dan

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »
Am I reading this right because I think you may be expecting a 9 week olf puppy to go an entire night already without soiling her crate.  I think your expectations are a little high there....

When we first got our pup we set the alarm for about 4 hours after we went to bed and came down and took him out for a wee and a poo saying nothing but wee wee's and toilet and good boy, put him back to bed and the next night set the alarm for slightly later (about 15 minutes.  After a couple of weeks we were setting the alarm for 6.30 and he was clean throughout the night.

I'm not expecting her to go through the night at all I'm just wanting way to prevent her doing it on her bed that's all I try gettin up every 4 hours to let her out I got up at 1:30 let her out the other night she did her buisness and then did it in her cage again by 5 lol

I have sectioned the cage I have put a towel she can go to the toilet on in one half and her bed in the oter half she doesn't see through the night just poos! She is good just want ways to prevent it i have tried by sectioning it I have tried what ever people have suggested! She just always does it on her bed and not the other half of the cage!

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
If you want to section the crate off so she can't toilet in there, then you literally need to section it off until Brodie only has enough room to sleep, not to toilet.

Basically, either section the crate off which will mean she wakes you in the night and doesn't toilet in her crate OR give her enough room in her crate to sleep and toilet, which will mean she doesn't wake you but she will toilet in there.  In other words, your pup is too young yet to sleep through without needing the toilet.

Offline Juno

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 08:59:16 AM »

I'm not expecting her to go through the night at all I'm just wanting way to prevent her doing it on her bed that's all I try gettin up every 4 hours to let her out I got up at 1:30 let her out the other night she did her buisness and then did it in her cage again by 5 lol

I have sectioned the cage I have put a towel she can go to the toilet on in one half and her bed in the oter half she doesn't see through the night just poos! She is good just want ways to prevent it i have tried by sectioning it I have tried what ever people have suggested! She just always does it on her bed and not the other half of the cage!

By sectioning the crate, abkb means literally blocking off half the crate so she only has half the space.  If she ONLY has her cosy bed space, she will not want to use it as a toilet and will make noise to let you know.  At this point you leg it downstairs and let her out in the garden.  

Oops.  Same time as abkb ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:01:49 AM »
In other words, your pup is too young yet to sleep through without needing the toilet.

Precisely - I didn't section off his crate, I didn't want him to get used to soiling in that area and found that getting up was the best and most efficient way of teaching him where to toilet.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Dan

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:02:49 AM »
 I don't mind her waking me that's what I want so if I just put her bed in and don't let her have any room to toilet she will wake me?

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
You are probably best setting an alarm and waking yourself between 2-4 to get up and let her out rather than relying on Brodie waking you.  I also wondered whether changing her feeding times might help, so that she eats earlier and poos immediately before she goes to bed?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »
I wonder if she's getting confused because you're putting a towel in her toiletting area? As that and her bedding are both fabric she might not be able to differentiate. Could you put newspaper in her toiletting area?

Having a large crate with a bed at one end and newspaper at the other worked well for William, who was way too fastidious to tread in his pee or poo, but it was disastrous for Louis. He was terrible at night, very restless and I was having to wash a stinky puppy every morning >:(. He hated the crate so I made a playpen area instead using puppy panels. Louis had his soft bed in one corner, which was already his favourite place to sleep during daytime, an area of newspaper for toiletting and the rest of it was just an area where he could lay down or play or potter about. It worked like magic and he was a lot more relaxed.

Helen's method of getting up in the night and gradually making the getting up time later and later has been used successfully by a lot of people on here. I chose not to use it, preferring not to get up in the night once I was sure that the puppy was happy and secure enough to go through the night with no more than the occasional wakeful period without distress. It doesn't affect day time house training but they take a bit longer to be clean through the night.

It also depends on the puppy. William was going through the night and asking to go in the garden during the day by about 13 or 14 weeks without me getting up in the night. Louis took a lot longer to learn and wasn't fully clean until about 20 weeks :o. He's nearly 3 now and still a late developer in lots of ways :lol2:

Offline Dan

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
Her last feed is about 5-6 and she goes to bed about 9-10ish and I let her out just before I put her to bed!

Maybe it does confuse we with a towel etc I will change this and make it only her bedding and I'll wake up every 4 hours to let her out! And I'll let you no!

Thanks

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
Hi Dan
do go out with her as well
then you can give praise for
performance and make sure
she does go ;) and then pop
her back in the crate without
fuss.