Author Topic: Anxious Cocker  (Read 790 times)

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
Anxious Cocker
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »
A friend is fostering a 7 yr. old male Cocker who could no longer stay with his family - mother, father and three teenage girls - due to the mother's illness (depression). He's been with my friend for over two weeks and has been constantly whining. The only time he's quiet is when he's asleep. There are other Cockers in the home and he gets along well with them.
We realise now that his family wasn't completely honest about the situation and, frankly, I think it's good the dog is no longer with them. But for the moment he seems to be quite a nervous wreck  :'( Do you think he's still pining for them? Or do you think the mother's depression has affected his mental state?  ph34r

My friend is very experienced with dogs and fostering, using both Bach and DAP with troubled rescues, but nothing seems to be working. The vet has suggested treatment with Calmivet.

Any advice or experience is more than welcome! Thank you COL :bigarmhug:

PS Perhaps I should have posted this under Behaviour.  :huh:
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Anxious Cocker
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
It was a big upheaval for the dog, so yes, it could still be pining or just generally unsettled.

I have found some of the CSJ herbs quite useful, e.g. Calm Down! or Steady!... might be worth for your friend to look into them.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline ali2010

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
We rehomed a cocker about a year and half ago and he was extremely anxious at first - he also constantly barked and seemed hyper-alert at first.  We did give him some rescue remedy but also just accepted that he had just been in kennels for a while so had obviously got used to barking all the time!!  He was also sick after he'd eaten his dinner for the first few days so we just split his meals into 4 and gave hime time to settle - after about 4 weeks he was a lot better but I think it took him months to settle in properly.  Its such a big upheaval for a dog to be rehomed, it must be so scary for them

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »
You've just described Dallas  ph34r  He has been on clomipramine since December and it has helped a little bit - not sure if Calmivet is of a similar line to that but it's the only thing that has made any difference.

Hopefully the boy your friend is fostering is just unsettled and will settle down soon  :luv:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)