Author Topic: Details of your pet insurance? what have you got?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Chezer

Details of your pet insurance? what have you got?
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »
Hi

I'm currently with Directline Pet insurance which I do think they are very good and I've never had a problem with them.
What I would like to know is what type of cover have you got?
I have the advanced cover which is the lifetime cover think I'm paying around £26. As some of you know I might be getting another pup sometime in the summer and I'm trying to work out costs of an extra one on my insurance.  Directline have said If I get another Dog it will be £40.68 a month on the lifetime cover but if I move to the the cover which is below the advanced cover then it will only cost me £21.30 for two dogs which is good but it £5000 per treatment for 12 months.

I would like to know what type of cover you have and roughly how much you are paying per month and how many dogs it's for?
and do you believe I should stay with the lifetime cover?

Archie has no conditions and in good health

Thanks

Cherie

Sorry if I'm babbling on!
Archie 4/9/2009

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Details of your pet insurance? what have you got?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
Hi,

I did a lot of research before getting Pearl and decided to insure her with Petplan, who cover the pedigree cats that I have and are brilliant.  Over the years they have paid, direct to the vets, for just about every illness and believe me the Siamese was a poorly, poorly cat who spent c£20,000 of their money in less than 6 years.....

BUT Pearl came home with 4 weeks free insurance from the Kennel Club.  Their insurance is every bit as good as Petplan; again they pay direct to the vet and promptly plus have similar levels of cover.  The advantage is that you can opt to pay a % contribution to the vet fee, if you choose which lowers the premium [10%, 20% etc].  In Pearls case and bearing in mind the other 2 cats have also racked up an excess of £11,000 in bills.....I opted to pay the highest premium with no personal contribution and was glad I did when Pearl was ill last year.  Incidentally, the quote I had from Petplan for Pearl was £32.00 pcm which I thought was high [cats are only £8 to £17 dependent on age] whereas Kennel Club is £17.00 pcm.

All polices are lifetime with maximum vet coverage each year.  Excess ranges from £65.00 to £95.00 for the 10 year old cat.  The 10 year old has been ill several times in his life and has no exclusions in his policy; I've yet to see what happens when Pearl's is renewed this year but I believe I have a lifetime policy, not per condition or year.

I'm sure there are lots of other insurers out there who are equally as good.  One thing I did do was to check with the Vets [who I have a pretty good relationship with...wonder why??] as to which they preferred I went with i.e. which companies are easier to deal with/pay quickly etc.

Hope this helps.

Did anyone mention how expensive pets can be :005: :005: :005:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Details of your pet insurance? what have you got?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »
12 month policies won't be any use for ongoing health problems so definitely stay with lifetime cover if you can afford it.

I have a lifetime policy with Axa which provides £7000 vet fees cover every year. It costs me £18 a month for a 7 year old dog and they give a 5% discount for additional pets.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)