Author Topic: Showing oranges  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Judith

• Hearts and flowers to my dogs!
Showing oranges
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:44:14 AM »
Hi, I am brand new to showing and been to a few shows which I enjoy, but have never seen any orange roans. I have a pup and keen on learning but having never seen any oranges wonder if this could go for or against ? A man I was chatting to ( not with cockers) said they don't like them , so I know there will be some out there and wondering if this made any difference really . Any advice or observations would be great, thanks all

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Showing oranges
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:06:45 AM »
Some judges do have a preference for certain colours although that is wrong and should be about the dog under the coat!  On occasions the oranges seem to do less well due to less full coats though, but that applies to any colour that lacks coat.

There are some very successful oranges in the ring at the moment and in the past, if the dogs confirmation and movement are good, that is what should get the place.

I'm sure Jane will be along in a while, she and Andrew have had success with oranges so can speak from experience

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:57:58 AM »
We have shown oranges making up one orange & white show Champion and nearly making up her orange & white son so oranges can do very well but like Jaspersmum said, there are some judges who won't look at the colour (we tried to avoid those, not always successfully :005:) but if you have a good orange, he or she will do well, not every time and not under every judge but that is true for any colour. Coats can be a problem sometimes with the finer coated oranges, especially the girls when they drop their feathering after a season (but again that goes for a lot of girls, whatever the colour :D).

Don't let other people put you off though - when we started we were told we would never get anywhere with an orange - we're glad we didn't listen ;)
Jane

Offline Judith

• Hearts and flowers to my dogs!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:06:13 AM »
Thanks for this, there is always someone who know on here it's fab! We always get comments on what a lovely colour he is and so we are going to try, don't know how we will do though as I haven't done it before and so will make mistakes and he is a pet and not from show champ lines but I love him so we' ll see

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »
Most of Charlies SHCH relatives are orange roans :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »
I'm laughing at this as I was always told oranges didn't do well. I've had Muppet in both open and champ shows and been placed!  Came as a complete shock as I don't have the first clue about showing. We stopped because 1, trying to keep her clean and 2 no one knows me from adam but everyone knows my breeder so I felt it wasn't fair to use her name in vain and 3, I already know I have the best dog in the whole wide world anyway!  ;)

As they say they (the judge) should look at the confirmation of the dog not the colour, I however do the complete opposite, even with 3 legs, if it was orange, I would get my vote!  :005:

Good luck with the showing.

Lxx
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »

Maybe orange & white rather than roan? There has been an orange roan girl made up just this year but prior to that the 3 or 4 oranges gaining their titles over the last 20 years or so have been "and whites" (unless you go back to the 1970s & the lovely Weirdenes). I'm guessing you've probably got Lynwater Dawn Shimmer in your pedigree - she was a gorgeous orange & white girl. This is a photo of her illustrating the breed standard : http://www.cockerspaniel-info.org.uk/breedstandard.htm
Jane

Offline Clare B

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
I have no idea about showing, but when considering a cocker pup I wanted one like the red girl I grew up with ( sire was a crufts champion)... Then I saw a gorgeous orange roan at my local shops, and totally fell in love with her, so that was it! I was on a mission to find a good breeder who had a litter with some orange roans!  Got my lovely girl and she is beautiful but doesn't have the silky long coat of the red I had as a child... But has the beautiful personality and cocker cuddles that we all enjoy from our sweet cockers.  Secretly I still imagine I can have a red like my childhood cocker.... But that's all surface and about looks and not personality :shades:

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »

Maybe orange & white rather than roan? There has been an orange roan girl made up just this year but prior to that the 3 or 4 oranges gaining their titles over the last 20 years or so have been "and whites" (unless you go back to the 1970s & the lovely Weirdenes). I'm guessing you've probably got Lynwater Dawn Shimmer in your pedigree - she was a gorgeous orange & white girl. This is a photo of her illustrating the breed standard : http://www.cockerspaniel-info.org.uk/breedstandard.htm

Yup.

Maybe there were and whites, his pedigree certificate says "orange roan" - who cares what the definition is - they are still lovely. Ch

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 02:25:07 PM »
who cares what the definition is - they are still lovely. Ch

Yes indeed - all are lovely but they are two different colours and just thought you might be interested in knowing more about the dogs in your pedigree ;)
Jane

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »
Sorry I didn't mean it to come across that I don't care if it did. I was more going for they are all beautiful whatever their colour :)

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 08:15:53 PM »
I'm quite new to showing myself and am showing an orange roan at the moment. I have been very pleased with how we have done - we've won a few classes and even a group at an open show. This is better than I managed with my blue roan who is of similar breed quality.

It shouldn't be about colour and my orange roan is such a showman that he does me proud regardless - I don't think he considers it should count against us! (Neither has he paid attention to the people who have also told me I'll never won anything because of his colour.) In fact I was at a show the other day and two of the four of us competing for Best of Breed were orange roans so some judges do see beyond the colour.

Give it a go and see if you both enjoy it - remember we all take the best dog home -whatever their colour  ;)

Offline louisedi

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »
We bred our first orange/roan last yr, her g granny is Jane & Andrews sh ch, she qualified for crufts at her first champ show at 6mths, gaining a second place, so we where well chuffed,
we are hooked on this colour know, plaining our 2nd orange,
Good luck