Author Topic: Puppy Insurance... Help!  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Rolo12

Puppy Insurance... Help!
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »
Hi

We are picking up our new working cocker pup Rolo on 1st June and he comes with 4 weeks free insurance (not sure who with).

I have been looking into policies for when this expires and I'm not really sure where to start or how much is the usual monthly cost for a dogs first year.

A friend has recommended pet plan however I have noticed that their monthly premiums are quite high.

Any advice would be really helpful re what type of cover he will need etc and how much we should look at spending.

Thank you!
Caz :)

Offline black taz

Re: Puppy Insurance... Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:19:07 PM »
I have mine insured with Healthy Pets, but as Kira as a pre-existing condition cannot really move her.

When this years expires, i will probably have a look at PDSA for Taz.  My parent are with them and the policy is really good cover for a lot less than i am paying for. 

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:21:39 PM »
First of all, I would look at who the insurance is going to be with that the puppies comes with. If you are happy with that insurance in the longer term, then wait until that expires to start a new one. If you are not happy with that insurance company/cover, I would insure new right from the start otherwise you might be stuck if something happens in that first month.  ;)

My youngest two are insured with AXA who have got good cover at reasonable prices, so perhaps one to look at. But prices vary greatly between breeds, areas etc. so definitely worth shopping around once you know what kind of cover you want (for 12 months, amount per condition or yearly renewed amount).
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »
We're with Axa too, as LurcherGirl says good cover at a reasonable price. I think Bingley's is about £13.50 a month. PetPlan is good, but the premiums are higher.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »
Thanks guys, I will get a quote from AXA.

Is there anything specific i should get him covered against? What value of treatment per year do you think? Also, do you think it is worth getting the lifetime cover?

So much to think about and just not sure how much its worth spending considering (fingers crossed) i won't need to use it!

Thanks again  :D

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »
But then again you might need to. Just an example:

2 years ago, my lurcher was diagnosed with hypothyroidsm (costing around £300 for diagnostics and meds), had to have a cruciate ligament fixed with surgery (around £6000 for diagnostics, treatment and rehab) and later the same year broke a tooth costing another £600 to fix... So he just about hit the limit of £7000 that I have with M&S...

So for me, £7000/year is the absolute minimum because it can happen so easily...  >:( ;)
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
I've copied this from a reply to another insurance thread hoping that it will help explain the potential benefits of having lifetime cover.

William and Louis are with NFU and have what I believe and hope is good cover.

They have lifetime cover for all conditions with a max. of £4,000 per year cover per condition. So if one of them had a serious problem that cost £4K in one insurance year he would still have £4K in the insurance pot for the same condition in each subsequent year for the rest of his life.

In addition, the £4K per year is per unrelated condition. So if there was a £4K claim for a particular condition there would still be £4k in the pot for each and every other unrelated condition that might require claiming for in the same year.

Hope I've explained that clearly.

This year I'm paying £19.83 per month for Louis, aged 2. I've never claimed on his insurance and he has a 15% no claims bonus. his excess is £55.

I'm paying £42.66 per month for William, now 8 and his excess is £80. He has ongoing conditions and in 2009 I claimed about £2K for a MRI scan and physiotherapy when his disc damage was diagnosed. In the last 2 years I've also made some smaller claims and have ongoing claims for opthalmic check ups every 6 months and Optimmune ointment for dry eye. Because the dry eye claims are ongoing I don't have to pay any excess for them, having paid it when I first claimed in 2010.

I have a 10% mutual bonus from NFU off their premiums because I'v been with NFU for more than 5 years.

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 05:49:31 PM »
Get plenty of quotes as they do vary and so does the cover. I have both mine insured with argos...lifetime and 7000 per year ..at the moment i pay £14 for Tilly who is 7months and 21 for Erin who is nearly 7. I have previously been with M&S and ASDA for Erin but it does seem you get a low premium the first year with each company and then the cost drastically rises on renewal. Luckily so far i can move to the best value cover each time at renewal as none of them have pre existing med problems but i am aware that will change next year when Erin turns 8 as it harder to get new cover at that point.

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
can I ask who you insured rolo with in the end? we pick up Sandon next Friday and he has 4 weeks insurance with petplan but the premium is quite high £23 per month for £4000 of cover which I though seemed expensive and ideally wanted higher cover if possible to be on the safeside.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »
can I ask who you insured rolo with in the end? we pick up Sandon next Friday and he has 4 weeks insurance with petplan but the premium is quite high £23 per month for £4000 of cover which I though seemed expensive and ideally wanted higher cover if possible to be on the safeside.

We are with John Lewis for Riley, £16.87 per month with lifetime cover (if you renew with them) and £10,000 vet fees per year.

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 09:20:48 PM »
can I ask who you insured rolo with in the end? we pick up Sandon next Friday and he has 4 weeks insurance with petplan but the premium is quite high £23 per moor £4000 of cover which I though seemed expensive and ideally wanted higher cover if possible to be on the safeside.

Rolo had four weeks free with pet plan but like you we thought it too expensive. We have decided to go with John Lewis. Same one as Jane I think!

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:31:49 PM »
Hmm, the quotes I'm getting are much higher for a new puppy than those mentioned for John Lewis in other people's posts. My pup isn't chipped yet (we'll do it when he's a bit older) and obviously not neutered. Perhaps it's because we live in London? I'm being quoted £33.90 per month for up to £10,000. Seems really steep! Cheapest was £28.85 for up to £2,000.

Perhaps I should have him chipped asap... Does anyone know if this makes a difference?

Thanks,
Sophie

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »
Riley want chipped when I stated my policy, I did ask and the guy said he didn't think it would make any difference but check anyway.

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »
Jane have you had any paperwork in the post from John Lewis? I ordered the policy on 26th June and still havent received anything!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
Jane have you had any paperwork in the post from John Lewis? I ordered the policy on 26th June and still havent received anything!

It took a few weeks actually , I rang them and chased it up.
All ok when it came through though. Hope you get yours soon.