Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 2156 times)

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
Pet Insurance
« on: June 10, 2012, 09:11:57 AM »
I'm not sure where to put this..................
Pet Insurance reminder has arrived. It is a lifetime insurance & this years premium £300.   >:(
Kez is 2 years old & never needed the vet (thank goodness) on line I can get a John Lewis life time cover for £152.94 (better cover) would I be right in taking the John Lewis ??? :-\
looking forward to your replies    Julie
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »
This is such a difficult decision and it would be wise to look at the small print on both policies. I have always stuck with Petplan, a more expensive policy, but I have always been impressed with the way that claims have been dealt with and our vets recommended them. Our 1st Cocker Spaniel had a lifetime policy with the Kennel Club, at the time this was cheaper than PetPlan. However, after we made a claim, the policy was taken over by Pet Protect (I don't know if this was a timely coincidence or not). What we did notice was that the premiums seemed to go up at a ridiculous rate year on year (Barney had a lifelong condition which meant we had to claim every year). In the end, his premiums on this policy were more than they would have been on Petplan. Petplan say that they never put up a premium because you have made a claim. I know that the premiums do go up each year due to normal increases. I also know this is true as we have our four cats insured with them. We had to claim for Bluebell but her renewal policy fees were the same as for the other girls (male cats are slightly more). Good luck with whatever you decide, I am not trying to say one way or another but wanted to highlight our experiences with you. Jacqui    :D

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
This is such a difficult decision and it would be wise to look at the small print on both policies. I have always stuck with Petplan, a more expensive policy, but I have always been impressed with the way that claims have been dealt with and our vets recommended them. Our 1st Cocker Spaniel had a lifetime policy with the Kennel Club, at the time this was cheaper than PetPlan. However, after we made a claim, the policy was taken over by Pet Protect (I don't know if this was a timely coincidence or not). What we did notice was that the premiums seemed to go up at a ridiculous rate year on year (Barney had a lifelong condition which meant we had to claim every year). In the end, his premiums on this policy were more than they would have been on Petplan. Petplan say that they never put up a premium because you have made a claim. I know that the premiums do go up each year due to normal increases. I also know this is true as we have our four cats insured with them. We had to claim for Bluebell but her renewal policy fees were the same as for the other girls (male cats are slightly more). Good luck with whatever you decide, I am not trying to say one way or another but wanted to highlight our experiences with you. Jacqui    :D

I'm stuck on PetPlan and it is so expensive, not only that I just found out that once my girl turns eight I have to pay 20% of any claim I make! So I'm between a rock and a hard place at the moment trying to decide what's the best thing to do :-\. Brodie has had too many (minor) problems at the vet for me to change.

So I agree with checking each policy very carefully, in case something like this 20% comes back to bite you :P

x In memory of Barney x

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »
In response to julie1, are there any policies out that that don't make you contribute a % of the fees once your pet reaches a certain age? :huh: I just assumed that this was the norm and would be interested to hear otherwise. We had to pay 40% of Barney's fees once he reached 10 with Pet Protect.

Jacqui

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »
I have now moved my lifetime insurers to John Lewis.
In responce to Jacqui there is NO upper age limit but I will have to pay £75 plus £25 voluntary excess if I need to use it.
Bear in mind Kez is only 2 years & had nothing wrong  :shades: :fear2:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 09:34:51 PM »
I'm stuck on PetPlan and it is so expensive, not only that I just found out that once my girl turns eight I have to pay 20% of any claim I make!

I thought it was 8 with petplan but it seems to be 10 - I rang them up when Wilf turned 8 to be told it was 10 plus they haven't changed anything either the last year i've been claiming for him, ie, I only paid the excess at the start of the policy and they pay out in full on all his treatment
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:25:04 PM »
I'm stuck on PetPlan and it is so expensive, not only that I just found out that once my girl turns eight I have to pay 20% of any claim I make!

I thought it was 8 with petplan but it seems to be 10 - I rang them up when Wilf turned 8 to be told it was 10 plus they haven't changed anything either the last year i've been claiming for him, ie, I only paid the excess at the start of the policy and they pay out in full on all his treatment

Oh that sounds much better! Ive been worrying about this, but that extra two years would give me more time to save. I read her original policy really carefully when I first took it out, but I must have missed something as it didn't seem to mention anything about this :huh:. I had no idea about it until someone posted about it on here.

x In memory of Barney x