Author Topic: Judging Etiquette?  (Read 5157 times)

Offline *Jes*

Judging Etiquette?
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
I recently attended an Open Show and wondered afterwards about judging regulations and how judges were expected to conduct themselves during their judging appointment.

Before the judging commenced it became evident that the judge knew some of the exhibitors (of which I know is natural as most judges are after all exhibitors themselves) as the judge started asking people if certain others had turned up  :shades:

In one class there was only two exhibits and numerous absentees.  The judge spoke to the first exhibitor on first name terms, on entering the ring and on numerous occasions during the judging process.  As the exhibitors dog was "playing up" i.e. not standing still or moving on four legs, the judge proceeded to suggest other ways of standing and moving the dog and the class seemed to turn more into private ringcraft tuition for this particular exhibitor  :-\

I wondered if this was common amongst judges and if they should be allowed to do this?  I think it would certainly put new exhibitors off and did not look professional at all.

Incase you were wondering "yes" this particular dog did win the class although how the judge managed to assess the dog is anyone's guess and people did raise the question around the ringside.

Any similar experiences?

Please note the judge being discussed here was not judging Cockers

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Judging Etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »
No experience - sorry

But from what you have described it does sound a bit off

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:52:21 PM »
Judges shouldn't engage in conversation with exhibitors & it does look very bad if they refer to people entered under them by name ph34r This is from the KC's Code of Best Practice for Judges:

1.15 (Judges should) Conduct themselves in a courteous manner to all and concentrate fully on the dogs. It is inadvisable for judges to call any exhibitor/competitor by their name, initiate or engage in a conversation initiated by an exhibitor/competitor whilst judging is in progress.

As far as giving a naughty puppy chances to get their act together, most judges would allow a bit of leeway and give a pup more than one chance to move but it shouldn't go any further than that really.

Sounds like this judge is one to put in your little black book of judges to avoid in future ;)

PS If anyone wants to read the full KC Guide for Judges, it's here: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/488/guidejudges.pdf
Jane

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »
If the exhibitors who were commenting from the ringside were so upset they could always take the issue up with the kennel club.  :shades:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »
If the exhibitors who were commenting from the ringside were so upset they could always take the issue up with the kennel club.  :shades:

I think they'd have to put their money down and lay a complaint at the time with the Secretary - not many will do that as I think it costs £35 or something like that to lodge a complaint?
Jane

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:54:27 PM »
I thought it was more than that jane! I think that we have all had days where we feel hard done by but you just have to move on to the next one  :D
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »
I thought it was more than that jane! I think that we have all had days where we feel hard done by but you just have to move on to the next one  :D

Exactly and vote with your feet by avoiding this unprofessional judge the next time ;)
Jane

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »
Exactly. Even though i passed my breed specifics exam the other week i'm glad i'm not ready to start judging yet!  ph34r
Sandlauga cockers

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »
I saw a similar thing at an open show recently too; the judge kept talking to one woman and shock horror she won...
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 02:04:54 PM »
I saw a similar thing at an open show recently too; the judge kept talking to one woman and shock horror she won...

Yes i have too  :shades:  i'm sad to say more than once  :shades: >:(
I think its best i don't say anymore  ph34r :005:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline *Jes*

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »
Thanks all for your comments and I 'm glad I'm not the only one, we just couldn't believe it!  :-\
We filmed it with the camcorder and it is even more evident when we watched it back!!!

Thanks for the information too Jane, looked for the guidelines for judging on the Kennel Club website but couldn't' quite see it  ph34r Will certainly take a look.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »
TBH, when I bought Jinley, I had visions of taking her around shows and winning a few rosettes, but having spoken to a number of people (not just Cocker owners) I was put off having being told shows can be incestuous and your success is very much based on "who you know or who you are".

As I know "nobody" I never tried it.  Would love to go to a couple of shows to see how its done though - can you take dogs with you or are they not allowed?

Pat

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »
TBH, when I bought Jinley, I had visions of taking her around shows and winning a few rosettes, but having spoken to a number of people (not just Cocker owners) I was put off having being told shows can be incestuous and your success is very much based on "who you know or who you are".

Not true - of course human nature being human nature, there are indeed judges who only place their friends or don't have the confidence to place people they don't recognise, but there are lots of judges who do have integrity and try their best to do a good job (and it's not easy despite what people might think :D) Even when a judge is honest and judged the dogs fairly, some exhibitors will complain if they haven't done well (human nature again :005:)

You'd be v welcome to go along to a show just to watch - if you wanted to take your dog, you'd need to either enter a class at the show or enter her "not for competition" beforehand (usually only costs a few pounds).
Jane

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »
I've been going to ringcraft lessons Pat and whilst I'll never show Charlie in a cc show, I will enter him in a local show and I'd nothing else we have fun at class abd I at least get to show Charlie off to the others at class :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 06:53:46 PM »
Just to diverse slightly away from judging etiquette, twenty odd years ago, I showed a young English Setter.  His second show was a Gundog open and he won his Novice class.  Cups/trophies were on offer to the winners of each class.  Just before we left, I went to collect his cup, only to be told it was broken.  I questioned that it looked OK to me but the lady was insistent she couldn't let it go.  I was so disappointed and upset and to this day, I honestly believe that because me and my dog were new to showing, they didn't want me to have his prize.  

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: