Author Topic: Help! How do I get Alfie to "verbally" tell me he needs to go out.  (Read 1722 times)

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

This might seem a bit of a strange question so here goes.

Alfie used to sleep in a crate and when he needed to go out in the night (on the rare occasion if he was a bit ill or just couldn't hold it any longer) he would move his cushion and scratch the crate bottom.  This I could hear from upstairs.  We have got rid of the crate, (sick of the sight of it, too big for kitchen). Alfie has a new bed and took to it immediately, was thrilled he coped without his crate so easily.  However...........Alfie was ill this weekend (this is a regular occurence due to him eating bad things on walks and having sensitive tummy) I woke on two days running to find several (one day there was 7) piles of diaorreah on my kitchen floor  :020:  He had not bothered to tell me he needed to go out I would happily have got up several times in the night to let him out rather than face that in the morning.

During the day Alfie jumps up me and paws me to let me know he needs to go out, he has never barked or whined to indicate this need.  It has worked fine until now.  Now don't get me wrong he is brilliant during the night and has the bladder of an ox and generally waits until we are ready to come downstairs to him.  But if he had still had his crate he would have scratched the bottom to let me know.  We are going away in August, Alfie has been away for one night but with his crate, he will be away for 8 nights this time and no crate. 

So....the question is, can I teach Alfie to bark or whine when he needs go to out day or night, anyone have any clues as to how I could do this.  Getting a bit worried in case he has a stomach upset whilst we are away.

Offline Darwin

Re: Help! How do I get Alfie to "verbally" tell me he needs to go out.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:34:09 PM »
I would also love to know any suggestions.
Darwin is now 3yr and a bit. We stopped using Darwin's crate  at home last October.
Since then I think he's had  only 2 or 3 wee accidents very early in the morning.
We started using the crate again (which Darwin loves ) last month because of building work.
Yesterday morning we slept in -  to all of 6.30am and Darwin had started scratching and whining as he wanted to go out.  Unless I can teach Darwin to become vocal about needing to go out, I can't see us never not using the crate.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »
Charlie sleeps in the bedroom so if he needs to go I hear him fidgeting. He doesn't ask to go out during the day either, if he needs to go he will just pace the kitchen. :(.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Clare B

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »
Maybe because he's had an upset tummy hasnt had time to let you know, sounds like he's pretty well clued  up in normal circumstances.

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »
Maybe because he's had an upset tummy hasnt had time to let you know, sounds like he's pretty well clued  up in normal circumstances.

I suppose that could be possible, he was especially busy pooing on the first night, 7 piles dotted round, poor thing! One thing we did notice was that despite all the poos he had not had a wee.  I thought he might have thought well I may as well have a wee now I've had a poo  :005: 

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
Penny doesnt bark or whine when she wants to go, she just stares at us.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
jennycockerspaniel - that's what Pepper does too...

He walks into the doorway of the lounge and stares at me. If I ignore him, he walks away and comes back and does it again until I get the message and let him out.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »
I would really be interested in this one as Jinley has become very lazy and if we dont notice that she wants to go out, she just disappears upstairs (or downstairs if it is in the middle of the night)!  >:D >:D

I bought some pooch bells from Crufts which hang from the kitchen door, but it is only as I am opening the door that she puts her paw on them!!  Unfortunately she is not food motivated so receiving a treat when she rings them does has not persuaded her to use them at other times!

Pat

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
I would really be interested in this one as Jinley has become very lazy and if we dont notice that she wants to go out, she just disappears upstairs (or downstairs if it is in the middle of the night)!  >:D >:D

I bought some pooch bells from Crufts which hang from the kitchen door, but it is only as I am opening the door that she puts her paw on them!!  Unfortunately she is not food motivated so receiving a treat when she rings them does has not persuaded her to use them at other times!

Pat

Wow I didn't know pooch bells existed. God how cute would that be if we could teach our cockers to ring a bell to go out!

Offline karen488

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
Mine don't tell me at all. They're let out regularly. Darcey has the bladder of an ox! I have to take her out on a lead in the rain or she wouldn't go. Accidents are v rare and we don't crate ???

Offline Ellie

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 06:43:42 AM »
Daisy has always come and sat on my foot to tell me she urgently needs to go out.  If I'm distracted she will end up making a quiet squeaky noise and fidgits around on my foot!!

I have heard of people training their dog to ring a bell by the door when they need to go out.  A friend had a collie who would ring the bell, very handy.  I can't see Daisy doing that tho, she only does things for food.

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
Hmm the problem is I can just see Alfie ringing the bell in the middle of the night for someone to come and play!   :005:

Offline caty

• Site Member
  • Flyndo
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
I used the vocal cue 'busy boy' when ours were both puppy trained and it has stuck. I would say it as soon as they did the toilet when I took them outside then give them a treat once they were finished. They are now 6 years old and can go about4-5 hrs during the day without needing to go so I know that this is their 'limit' then I just have to say 'busy boy' and they know it is toilet time and run to the door. I have never had either of them pee or poo in the house after they were trained (and I trained them using treats - they were NEVER reprimanded if they had an accident while I was training them). If someone else is looking after them (on the rare occasion) and they forget to let them out, they will come and rest their chins on your lap, and stare at you. As soon as they do this, saying 'busy boy' sees them race off to the door, telling you that you've guessed correctly! The chin resting thing, they just did on their own as time progressed...HTH