Author Topic: Insurance - lifetime cover per condition  (Read 1606 times)

Offline siam

• Site Member
Insurance - lifetime cover per condition
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
We insured our last cocker with Petplan when he was 7yrs and in his later years when he developed some serious conditions we paid the excess a year from the date the condition began and cover for each continued.

When Alfie was a pup the vet nurse recommended we take out insurance cover for him since pups can be unpredictable, prone to swallowing alien objects etc. When I said I hadn't intended taking out insurance until he was older she said we might want to think about taking out insurance with a company offering a lower premium. We took out a policy with Tesco thinking in the case of any accident/emergency he would be covered. However Alfie developed a pollen allergy causing skin problems, last year. He has been particularly bothered this year resulting in regular visits to the vet and quite a lot of medication. I put in another claim last month and got a shock when they said we had reached the end of the year from when we first claimed, so no subsequent claims can be made for the pollen allergy. I stupidly hadn’t realised that there was a 12 month limit for any condition.

I’d like to change insurers now. I realise that he won’t be able to get cover now for his pollen allergy, but wonder if COL’s can recommend insurers that cover a condition for more than a year. I was thinking of going back to Petplan as they were very fair when we made a lot of claims for our last cocker in later life, but they don’t seem to be well rated at the moment and their premiums do rise steeply each year.

Offline gorgeouspoppy

Re: Insurance - lifetime cover per condition
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »
I have mine with direct line insurance and can't fault them.  Poppy has had ongoing conditions for 5/6 years now that they still pay out for as its the lifetime cover.  They also pay the vets direct.

JO.x
Jo, Poppy, Misty + Kinda.xx

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Insurance - lifetime cover per condition
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »
I'm with Argos who have been brilliant. Ive actually claimed more than I've paid in! They paid up without quibble after Archies castration complications. You need to make sure you have lifetime cover and I went for a high-ish yearly payout (£7000 per year). You might be able to upgrade your Tesco cover to lifetime cover rather than swapping insurers.