Author Topic: Homemade dog food  (Read 3986 times)

Offline jak3

Re: Homemade dog food
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
i would not like to eat the same dinner very day of my life.....
dogs are the same... one day my dog has rabbit the next he has beef then duck
and so on

Yeah I agree, I wasn't sure if it was ok to mix and match with different flavours? As long as it's the same brand?

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »
sorry iam just so into raw feeding
Bob had Rabbit for his breakfast today we got it from Makros... it did take a bit of
cutting up, but he loved it he also had some veg and i give him keepers mix
for dinner he is going to have a chicken carcass

i cant tell you how fantastic his teeth are at the age of 8
he has never been to the vet other than to have his jab's
he is a fab weight, has a fab coat,

the more i read about it the more i am convinced that this is how it should be
dogs are carnivores, so why do we think it is better to feed them rice and grain
Bob will chase birds, rabbits, squirrels, BUT i have never seem him run into a wheat field and come out
with a mouth full..... but let me tell you if he ever got a small critter he would eat it...

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »
Read about your Makro bargains Pudding, i will have to get down there!

Never tried rabbit actually, will have to give it a go.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline jak3

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »
I Agree that raw would be the best for him but he just won't eat it, it's strange if we give him a bone from the butchers with raw meat on it he goes crazy for it but when iv tried him on the natural instincts food in his bowl he just looks up at me and walks away! So frustrating because I want to give him what's best for him!

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
Read about your Makro bargains Pudding, i will have to get down there!

Never tried rabbit actually, will have to give it a go.
[/quote

it was a whole frozen rabbit..... i had to let it part thor out and then cut it up
it made 7 meals ..... i kept 3 out for this week and put 4 back in the freezer to use next time
the Duck feet are fab as well i just feed them as a treat...

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »
Out of interest Jak, have you tried him on a chicken wing?

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline jak3

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »
No the only raw he's had is the natural instinct food, would it just be a whole chicken wing with the bone raw I would give him? Sounds daft but just the type you would buy at the supermarket?

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »
I Agree that raw would be the best for him but he just won't eat it, it's strange if we give him a bone from the butchers with raw meat on it he goes crazy for it but when iv tried him on the natural instincts food in his bowl he just looks up at me and walks away! So frustrating because I want to give him what's best for him!

have you tried buying some diced turkey or pork from a supermarket... pork ribs maybe he will go for that
NI is very minced maybe he does not like the texture.....
i started off with chicken wings.... at first it took him some time to work out what to do with it
if your OH is not liking it then you could make it up in his dish so all he has to do is put it down
and if you keep it out of the fridge over night it will be room temp

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »
No the only raw he's had is the natural instinct food, would it just be a whole chicken wing with the bone raw I would give him? Sounds daft but just the type you would buy at the supermarket?

yes that it, and they are very cheep....
there is a fab Facebook group if you are on FB let me know and i will give you the details

Offline max2011

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
I am another raw convert but don't use a prepared food like natural instinct as i prefer to give max more texture to his meals and a wide variety of meats. I completely agree with what pudding has written.

If he likes bones I would try chicken wings or lamb/ pork ribs. Also poultry necks are good too. I then use chunks of heart or turkey for a Meaty meal and Minced tripe etc. if max had mince every day he would not be happy, chewing and crunching bones seems to be very satisfying!!

Offline jak3

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »
Don't have a Facebook ( I know only person who doesn't lol)
I will give it a go with the chicken wings would he just get one per meal? Or mixed with anything, will give the diced and meat chunks a try agin thou how much and does it get mixed with anything or just give him the meat?
Is it ok to leave the meat out the fridge overnight would it not go off or bacteria etc?

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »
Lamb ribs are Bingley's absolute favourite. He has lots of raw meaty bones, chicken wings etc so gets quite a variety.

How old is he?

Offline jak3

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 04:16:41 PM »
He is just coming up for 9months

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
Don't have a Facebook ( I know only person who doesn't lol)
I will give it a go with the chicken wings would he just get one per meal? Or mixed with anything, will give the diced and meat chunks a try agin thou how much and does it get mixed with anything or just give him the meat?
Is it ok to leave the meat out the fridge overnight would it not go off or bacteria etc?

ok how much does he weigh...... Bob is 13.5kg so i feed him 2 meals of 155g
you need to work around the rule of 80% meat 10% of the total diet to be pure bone and 10% should be offal liver Kidney
but to start with i would give him his dinner as always and give him a chicken wing as a treat.....
then you can start to give him one meal with 155g of say some diced meat or you can give differant thing in one meal
the 10% bone and 10% offal is given over a long time like a month, so you can give a little each time you feed or you can give it in one feed...... if you need any more help with it just pm one of us..... i am always here week days

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »

yer its ok for dogs.... you can even re freeze thing's
if you dont want to leave it out over night. you could stand it in some hot water.... just to take the chill off it