Author Topic: Homemade dog food  (Read 3985 times)

Offline jak3

Re: Homemade dog food
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »
Thanks for the help will give it a go, he weighs 16kg last time he was weight may be more know he grows like crazy lol.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »
he will need to have a bit more then, if you are happy with how he looks
you have to work it out by so much % of there body weight... i cant remember off hand
but if someone else does not let you know what it is by tommorrow then i will find it out for you
and post back on here

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
For some reason between 2 and 3% for an adult dog is in my head. I'm not 100% on this though, I think it is more for pups. If you go through a search engine you should get some answers :)

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline jak3

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
Yeah happy with his size he actually looks a bit thin sometimes he's just a big solid boy lol, yeah I seem to be finding 2-3% of there body weight seems about right! Thanks .

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
yep, I base it on 2% and one of my boys is 16kg and get two meals a day of 160g each meal

Offline jak3

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »
Great I will go with that and give it a go! Thanks again everyone!

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 07:15:43 PM »
Wainwrights and naturediet are both good wet foods.

Charlie didn't like the nature diet hence he is on wainwrigths. I also thought the nature diet felt a bit icky and greasy where the wainwrights doesn't seem to.

P@H sell both, they both come in trays. It might be worth buying a couple of trays of each and seeing how it goes?
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline jak3

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 07:46:46 PM »
Thanks for that will maybe give them a go, he has ate his first ever raw meal tonight he had raw beef mince with a little bit of natural cottage cheese through it! However tried him with a chicken wing and he just pushed it with his nose and looked at me then walked away, don't think he knows what to do with it lol!

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »
Thanks for that will maybe give them a go, he has ate his first ever raw meal tonight he had raw beef mince with a little bit of natural cottage cheese through it! However tried him with a chicken wing and he just pushed it with his nose and looked at me then walked away, don't think he knows what to do with it lol!

Thats more than I get from Charlie with chicken wings haha. Hold it up for him and pull bits of meat off for him - thats what I did with Charlie with bones (he still won't entertain chicken wings)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »
Another wainrights wet fan here. It is really excellent food and Archie absolutely loves it. He became really fussy and refused his kibble/nature diet mix that he was weaned on. He wasn't interested in raw at all but the wainrights proved a massive hit and still is. He likes a nice raw bone to chew on every now and then to keep his teeth clean.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »
We like Wainwrights too, although Penny will eat Nature Diet just as happily. I mix hers with kibble to give a bit of crunch. We've tried chicken wings and lamb ribs and she loves both. Tried kidneys - bad result. Tried herring - another bad result so won't be trying them again for a while. You just have to experiment and see what suits your dog. I agree with Pudding that a variety of food is a good idea. That way you can be sure of getting all the nutrients required.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline jak3

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 09:52:53 PM »
Is it possible to mix say the wainwrights food for his first meal then raw meat- chicken wings beef etc for his dinner? Or does it need to be the same consistency ?

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
I think that's perfectly acceptable. Just go with what suits your dog. I often give Penny Wainwrights with kibble for one meal and a mix of raw meat and veg for another, and leftovers for another. The only thing she won't eat is plain kibble.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline jak3

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
Thanks for the help, when it comes to thinks like this I am hopeless lol, he is my first dog so still learning!

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 09:50:26 AM »
as long as you dont mix cooked (kibble... wet ) with the raw....
as the raw and the kibble digest at differant times so it is better to give about 2 hours
in between, so yes it will be fine to feed kibble for one meal and raw for the other
you can also give them eggs and the shell crushed up and fish (tinned) like pilchards
and veg as long as you blitz it, if you leave it as is, it will just go in and come out the same
if you blitz it they will be able to digest it

did he like his raw dinner last night