Author Topic: Homemade dog food  (Read 4041 times)

Offline jak3

Re: Homemade dog food
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 10:08:19 AM »
He had beef mince raw last night for his dinner and he went nuts for it! Licked the bowl clean and was looking for more! I was shocked, gave him a chicken wing to try but he just kind of pocked about at it and licked it, he then picked it up and ran outside with it and pocked about some more but was as if he didn't know what to do with it lol, he then turned his back for a minute and a seagul made off with the chicken so he wasn't best pleased so not sure if it will take him some time to get used to it?

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
Great stuff glad he enjoyed it..lol @ the chicken wing xx

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
are that fab news..... there are some good book to read
Tom Lonsdale:- feed your dog raw meaty bones
and Honeys natural feeding hand book for dogs.... this is the one i like

this is a beef rib with some blitz veg .... he does not eat the bone, just strips it clean

this is pork ribs with bit of Ox Kidney and some mince lamb

chicken carcass this is the first time he has had this

Morrison's is a good place to get bones from.... they say stock bones

i also make fish ice cubes for him ..... just pilchards and some oxo

Offline jak3

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 11:07:34 AM »
Thanks thats some good ideas, is it best to give him the bones type meal for one meal and something like mince or meat chunks for the other or can you give two meals of bones? Is it best to mix and max as long as the total adds up to the weight for the meal?

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »
you can mix up meat and bone...... you will just need to keep an eye on his poo
the more meat in the diet, the softer and darker it tends to be...
if it very hard and pal then you have given bit too much bone
and your next meal or 2 should not have any bone in
and the same if its too soft then you need to add bone to the meal

dont forget you will need to add some offal Liver or Kidney as well
not too much liver in one meal as this can make them a bit lose

Offline jak3

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »
Ok thanks! Sorry for all the questions lol would you give him liver/ kidney say once a week as a meal or a little through all his meals to spread it out! They bones from morrisons look good I will need to have a look for them. Would you count the weight of the full bone for his meal even if he doesn't eat the bone just the meat from it?

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »
No problem i am happy to help ask as many questions as you like
you can give it in one meal, not one a week, but once a month, you would need to see how his poo is
as it may make him very lose.. Kidney is not so bad.....
I give Bob his liver in very small amounts in each meal....
right if he is not going to eat the bone then you will have to judge how much you think the bone will weigh
if it a pork rib then i weigh the whole thing and he would eat it all
some of the bone that dont have too much meat on them i give as treats like the lamb spines and the duck feet

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
He had beef mince raw last night for his dinner and he went nuts for it! Licked the bowl clean and was looking for more! I was shocked, gave him a chicken wing to try but he just kind of pocked about at it and licked it, he then picked it up and ran outside with it and pocked about some more but was as if he didn't know what to do with it lol, he then turned his back for a minute and a seagul made off with the chicken so he wasn't best pleased so not sure if it will take him some time to get used to it?

At least he showed interest. Hopefully he'll get there with the chicken wing :).

I've also given tinned fish - I think Charlie is a large part cat as he loves his fish. If he could eat it all the time he would. Don't get tinned fish in brine, I get the stuff in oil for Charlie as it's good for his coat too :).
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline jak3

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 12:30:52 PM »
Im hoping the raw diet will help with the poo's he has always had quite runny ones but will keep an eye on it and judge if hes needing more or less meat/bone i think he would eat the bones in the meat he had his first proper bone last weeked and he loved it took him all day to get through it thou, but was quite a big bone! Im a bit more optamistic about the raw diet now just seems to have issues with the raw chicken so far but hopefully if i introduce things gradually he will take to it quite well.

With the tinned fish how often would you feed that ? and would you mix it with anything?

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
Here is my thinking on Tinned fish.....
Tomatoes are not good for dogs and can damage the digestive tract over time. Once in a while wont hurt.. Don't use ones that are canned in oil either. The oils they use are very low quality, usually soy or cottonseed. All vegetable oils are not very good for dogs, even olive oil. They are high in omega 9 which dogs do not need and will block essential omega 3 & 6 form being absorbed.in brine is too salty
But canned in water is perfectly safe. Also do not feed fish that can be high in mercury on a regular basis, like tuna. Pilchards or other small fish are fine.
you can add it to anything you like.... i make ice cube treats

Offline jak3

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
Ok another silly queshtion - If was to give him fish (fresh) would it be raw or cooked i would give him? Is it beneficial to give fish every know and then?

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »
raw fish is very good for them.... should be oily fish...for the omega 3
 i have tried Bob with fresh sardines with head and tail on but he is not into them
i have now got him a bag of whitebate he likes them 
i dont feed raw salmon as there is something called Salmon poisaning
When the salmon come back from the sea and swim up freshwater rivers to their breeding grounds they may become infected with a particular parasite. It's the parasite that causes the poisoning if an infected fish is caught and then fed fresh and raw.

Offline jak3

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »
Ok I think im getting the hang of it, oily fish but not tinned fish in oil lol? so oily fish such as Sardines, trout, mackrel? and this will provide them with the omga 3 they need instead of using suppliments, does the bone provide them with the calcium they need  :huh: ? want to make sure hes not missing in any vitamins etc he needs or that hes not getting to much of any particular type.
So... meat/bones, wizzed up veggies, Fish (oily), liver/kidney, .... am i missing anything, is there any supplements he should be getting on top of this?
Thanks.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »
It like any thing once you get its not too hard...
i give heart as well this is a mussel meat not offal
I have started to give Bob Keepers mix
http://www.dorwest.com/Catalogue/Dietary-Supplements/Keepers-Mix
got mine from eBay bit better price

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
I never knew tomatoes were bad for dogs :-\
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe