Author Topic: AXA v John Lewis Insurance (was Greenbee)  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Sprinkles

AXA v John Lewis Insurance (was Greenbee)
« on: September 10, 2012, 05:20:10 PM »
Am I seeing things??

Firstly John Lewis have quoted £27.76 per month and increase from £19.49. That was a shocker and they've just told me "yes that's right, that's the way it is....tough!" (Ok they didn't say tough but you know what I mean!)  :shades:

Secondly I have just got a quote from AXA after looking at what COL'ers use and it quotes at £11.46!!!!!  :clapdance: It's important to me that I have lifetime cover and the website says....

Up to £7,000 vet’s fees Vet’s fees can be very expensive. With AXA pet insurance you won’t have to worry about treatment costs. You can rely on up to £7,000 a year in vet’s fees for your cat or dog.

No time limits on your pet’s treatment Many insurers stop paying for your pet’s treatment after a specified time. Not AXA. We will to continue to cover your cat or dog’s long term conditions for as long as your pet is insured with us.

Is this a no brainer or am I missing something really important?? I don't want to make a huge mistake!
Jo slave to the Cocker! ;)

Offline Liz F

• Donator
Re: AXA v John Lewis Insurance (was Greenbee)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »
I recently changed to AXA cant give any comments as I havent needed to claim but dont think you are missing anything.

Alot of COL'ers use AXA and Im sure someone who has had need to claim will be along soon with comments.
 :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:09:17 PM »
Thanks. It seems at the moment my dog is more expensive than my car to insure! (until Axa came along!)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »
I just got a quote from Axa -£27 per month (I have a 4-month old, chipped, entire puppy and live in London). Does anyone know if insurance is cheaper if your dog is neutered, and if you get your dog done can you get the premium changed? I assume it does lower it, otherwise why would they ask?

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »
I am with AXA for both my dogs and my premium for both is £29 for a 3 month old male cocker and an 8 year old staffie x they are both chipped and Bo is neutered. Some insurance companies wanted that for Bo alone because of her age. I am not sure of what they are like to deal with as they are new policies

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »
I am with AXA for both my dogs and my premium for both is £29 for a 3 month old male cocker and an 8 year old staffie x they are both chipped and Bo is neutered. Some insurance companies wanted that for Bo alone because of her age. I am not sure of what they are like to deal with as they are new policies
It makes me so mad that I'm being quoted double because I live in London! I have to pay tons more for everything because I live here! Grrrrrr!

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 05:58:03 PM »
Blimey - that seems remarkably cheap - we pay £29.23 for Petplan Lifetime cover.  The excess for each ailment is £90.  How much is the excess on the AXA policy?  We went with Petplan again because we know that they really do pay out for life with no hidden charges, and no quibbling when you make a claim.

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »
Sophie I was getting charged more from More Than because I have a Liverpool postcode because of the daily dog attacks that happen even though I almost live on the West Lancs border.  

Piph I have chose the £75 or you can have £100 or £125 but the difference was coppers really

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 06:11:40 PM »
Just done a quote - they want £15. 29 a month for Ozzy with an excess of £100, and £15.34 with an excess of £75! Obviously, living in Northampton is more detrimental to the health of a dog than wherever those with a quote of £11 -ish live!!!  ;)

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »
I started this thread and live in Oxford. Brody is neutured and also microchipped. I suppose it all counts towards the quote, but yes it's very unfair.

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 09:24:08 AM »
I think you'll find that one year down the road you will get a nasty renewal surprise. That seems to be completely normal for pet insurance. We went with Argos (yes, the catalogue shop) and got a good deal for the first year. We had to make a claim (which wa said without fuss or added exclusions) then got a renewal for a couple of quid more than the first year. I was expecting this but it wasn't too bad.

However, in between policies they changed the underwriter and you can expect to see that happen with any company that isn't the underwriter the,selves, such as Asda, John Lewis, Directline etc.

We recently made another claim for over £1,000 and it was again paid without any quibbling or delays and they haven't added any extra conditions as a result. So far I can't complain about them, and I know that changing companies will result in higher premiums because Posie has now been treated for something.

I think most companies are the same, at the end of the day, with the possible exception of Petplan. They quote much higher figures from the start but then don't increase premiums by so much at renewal.

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 05:25:02 PM »
Lordy. This is such a minefield!! Now don't know whether to go low and expect it to get hiked up in the future (axa) or just go with Petplan and be done with it!!! Grrrrrrrr,

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:27:16 AM »
I've just gone with AXA (after reading about poor Ozzy's plight I realised that insurance would be a good idea after all) - the price difference was quite substantial between that and PetPlan. In London it seems as if you pay double to start with, which is very annoying (yes, vets bills are no doubt higher), so £50 for PetPlan just seemed a little OTT.

FYI - I asked AXA if the price would change when I got my dog neutered (otherwise why would they bother asking?) but they said it makes no difference to the price. Don't know why they bother asking in that case. Same with the microchipping - seems to be the same price with or without the chip - just more detail to fill out on the quote form - grrrr. I guess they might use the info for statistical purposes.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 11:38:05 AM »
I've just gone with AXA (after reading about poor Ozzy's plight I realised that insurance would be a good idea after all) - the price difference was quite substantial between that and PetPlan. In London it seems as if you pay double to start with, which is very annoying (yes, vets bills are no doubt higher), so £50 for PetPlan just seemed a little OTT.

FYI - I asked AXA if the price would change when I got my dog neutered (otherwise why would they bother asking?) but they said it makes no difference to the price. Don't know why they bother asking in that case. Same with the microchipping - seems to be the same price with or without the chip - just more detail to fill out on the quote form - grrrr. I guess they might use the info for statistical purposes.

WOW!!!!  that is a lot more than we pay Petplan for Ozzy's - the premiums for the Lifetime Cover of £7000 a year (there is a higher limit -£10,000 I think but that's obviously more expensive) are about £27 for Ozzy at the moment.  They will be more expensive next year, no doubt, but probably only by  a few quid.

And just to let you know - the cost for Ozzy's eye treatment so far is roughly £120 to our vet for the 2 appointments, drugs and treatment, and a whopping £2500 approx for his op and associated treatment at The Willows!!  Not that we begrudge a single penny of it, and would have willingly paid it, had we not been insured, but it would have seriously damaged the health of our bank account, and made a large dent in our savings

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
I have recently had Henry's renewal from John Lewis and their underwriter has changed from AXA to Royal Sun Life.  When this happened with M&S their premiums shot up.  I hope this won't be the case with John Lewis.