Author Topic: Overweight Pooch  (Read 581 times)

Offline mollydubh

• The beautiful Molly Dubh
Overweight Pooch
« on: September 26, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
Molly is a beautiful black show cocker, she weighs 16.5 kg, she is quiet a tall girl, she's fed a small bit of kibble, one spoon of mackeral and loads of fresh vegetables, (normal amount in the morning and tiny amount in the evening) we walk twice a day, i do competitive agility with her, she is also spayed, the only problem i have is that i cannot get her weight down in her mid region her tummy appears to be swollen out but she is pure muscle everywhere else, she is the most affectionate, obedient dog i've ever had (she is my third cocker), can anyone give me any tips on trying to reduce her weight.  Thanks  >:(
i strive to be person that my dog thinks i am.....

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Overweight Pooch
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
Sounds like you are doing everything you should, only thing I can suggest is to maybe look at what kibble she is on? I used to feed Burns, which was great at managing Brodie's weight.

Molly sounds very fit though, so maybe this is just her natural shape? Do you have any pics of her to give us a better idea?

x In memory of Barney x

Offline mollydubh

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
I'm only new to this site (the information on here is incredible) i will put up a picture of her, she is in good need of a trim, but thankfully overall she has a shiny sleek black coat, i tried her to Wagg yesterday with nothing extra in it, she looked at me as if i was mad lol and walked away without eating, this morning i added half a courgette and a spoonfull of mackeral and the food was gone in minutes, i have created a monster fussy eater :005:

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »
Various of the kibble producers do low-calorie version - might be worth trying:
http://www.barkingheads.co.uk.php5-18.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/product/fat-dog-slim
I'm using their puppy food and am pleased with it (I google to find the cheapest supplier to deliver).

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
Ah you may be well advised
to step away from Wagg...
it's not the best and this may
be the problem as it has
ingredients that your dog really
doesn't need ;)
There are many kibbles and of course
some are better than others...
as suggested already... Burns or Barking heads,
Skinners to name a few.. Your head will be
spinning once you've seen what there is
to be had :blink:
steffxxx

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
I have both mine on James Wellbeloved which they love.

I measure every meal I give them (no guess work), and i certainly don't give them anywhere near the recommended amounts.

Taz has 150 gms per day and is 15.3 Kg and my Lab Kira has 300 kg per day and she is 27.5 kilos.  I changed them from Hills to James W earlier in the year and they have both lost 1/2 kg since.  They also have a dental stick each night and the odd treat during the day but nothing too much.

Mine have about 1 - 2 hours walk per day, and both do competitive (????) agility

They are both speyed/neutered as well.

I did find the first winter after having Taz done he gained quite a bit of weight (went upto 16.5kg) which is when i started measuring his food.  I tried the low calorie version and he hated it.

Offline mollydubh

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »
Thanks folks, i used James Wellbeloved before as one of my previous cockers had ezema and found it worked well. I think i am going to try the JWB light.  Thanks again for your advice  :D