Author Topic: Raw fed-being sick  (Read 521 times)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Raw fed-being sick
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
Last week after having a chicken wing dinner the next morning Ruby did not want to go for a walk which is totally out of character.She took to her bed and seemed a little of colour.She seemed a little perkier at lunchtime so OH took her on a 20 minute pavement walk and while they were out he said she did a bright yellow mr.whippy poo so i put her being off colour in the morning down to her having a belly ache and after the walk she was her usual self.

Last night she had chicken necks for dinner and this morning while i was getting ready for our walk (i didn't see ) she had done 4 very small bits of sick around the living room and each of then had small bits of undigested bone in them.
What puzzled me was she had been fed her kibble breakfast and there was no sign of that on the carpet,only last nights dinner.

Has anyone any ideas if this is anything to do with meaty bone dinners or maybe coincidence?

I must admit it has knocked my confidence a little with raw,though i'm not giving up yet.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
Re: Raw fed-being sick
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »
Just seen this thread and it might help a bit: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=80428.0

Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
My 2 are fed raw but don't always get exactly the same food because William is prone to bolting chicken wings and carcasses (haven't tried him on necks yet) and not chew them properly. The result is that he sometimes sicks up bits of bone afterwards. Louis has no problems at all with them. So Louis will sometimes have a chicken carcass or 2 chicken wings for a meal while William will have Natural Instinct or Nurturing By Nature meat and minced bone mix instead, which he's absolutely fine on. If he has a chicken wing as part of a meal I hold one end of it while he eats it to make sure he crunches it up properly.

I know it would be better for his teeth if he had more whole bones than minced, but I've come to the conclusion that he just doesn't cope very well with whole bones.

So please don't be too put off but try either feeding Ruby a meal that's part minced and part bone, so there's less chance of her being sick afterwards, or stick to a minced meat & bone mix.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
Just had another thought. If Ruby is anything like my two she may have re-eaten any kibble she sicked up and left the bone :020:

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »
Thanks Elaine,i got your other message  :D

I'm starting to think ,maybe there is a point in there being too much bone in one meal for her  :-\

She has been part raw for a month or so now and has had one chicken wing on occasion in the past and i do bash them up for her but that particular nights dinner there were 2 medium size ones.

Seeing as OH weighed,bagged and labled all her raw i think it only fair he changes the quantities and mixtures  :lol2:

My old dog used recycle her sick,but having seen Ruby be sick once before she didn't do that but you never know and to find no trace of it doesn't make sense does it.

Just seen this thread and it might help a bit: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=80428.0

Thanks for that  ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline anna*sian

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »
I was interested to read your post Toni-UK.  I have recently switched my two to raw (fully) and have noticed with Sam in particular that if he has too much raw meaty bone, he seems a little uncomfortable and by the next morning he has usually sicked up some bits of bone and (sorry to be graphic) yellow bile and has also pooed on the kitchen floor  :020: .  Ben just seems to get very constipated. 

I had originally planned to feed a meaty bone every morning and mince in the everning but this doesn't seem to be agreeing with them at all.  I am now trying meaty bones 3 mornings a week (spaced out) and offal/mince/raw eggs/sardines etc the rest of the time.  If they get on better like this, I may try to increase the meaty bone to 4 mornings (spaced).  I really have seen the benefits of feeding raw meaty bones, already the tartar build up on their canines had disappeared and their teeth look lovely and clean  :happydance:

I must admit, I did feel a little disheartened with feeding raw after what happened  :dunno:  I think maybe like elaine.e's William, Sam too may just not cope well with whole bones.

Hopefully once the balance is right, Ruby will be fine.  :blink:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »
Ollie is raw fed and occasionally vomits yellow bile first thing on the morning. I now give him a rich tea biscuit at bed time which seems to help.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »
Well it was chicken wing and tripe mince for dinner tonight,i'm interested to see if their is any fallout (literally) tomorrow morning.  :shades:
It would take something drastic for me to give up as although she is a gut bucket for food anyway she is absolutely beside herself at dinner time as she enjoys raw so much.

anna*sian- i am also starting to see a slight improvement in Rubys teeth after a month or so on raw,not that they were that bad at all really but she was starting to get some tartar build up and that is gradually going now.  :D