Author Topic: Recall  (Read 648 times)

Offline mitzy ditzy

Recall
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
Worried about recall training for Bobby.  Following top barks recall which was going well using chicken as a high value treat?  I'm up to step six - out in a field on a long line started off well but recently he has been either hesitant or just refusing to listen.  Bobby is constantly sniffing so it very hard to get his attention when outside luckily he is very good at home.

I do hate long lines especially this time of year they get so wet and dirty I hope that eventually I will be able to walk Bobby off lead

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Recall
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Hi
I used Top Barks recall, but changed the treats around to keep it very exciting  :005: Sometimes sardine bake, or tuna bake, liver cake, garlic sausage, warm chicken, I found Ben got complacent if he had the same treat too often so just swopped it around.  He particually liked it if it was warm chicken with a little garlic  ;)

good luck

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:49:40 PM »

How old is Bobby??

Also second what Ben's mum has said about varying treat - anything I've used for any length of time, even if reserved for the most spectacular things, has become boring to Honey after a while.  >:(  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Honormum

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:28:19 PM »
Is the Top Barks recall on the forum?
Would someone mind linking to it please? - Teddy is 14 weeks and not been off-lead yet because our trainer says not to let your dog off until you know they will come back. I've got a long line arriving tomorrow, but not entirely sure how to use it.
Any help, much appreciated!

Offline Honormum

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:29:04 PM »
Ignore my post - just seen the Top Barks recall post!

Offline mitzy ditzy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »
Bobby is 7 months

Offline mitzy ditzy

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »
Just been to the park to practice recall with a different treat and it's still not working effectively.  Bobby came back once but after that stopped listening and continued sniffing.  Due to start the next step but as the current step seemed to have stopped working what should I do. 

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:17:34 AM »
Hi,

I would miss a meal so the pup is hungry, use a high value treat and indoors call pup feed treat by throwing away a few yards as soon as pup starts to eat treat recall again and repeat thowing treat again do this about 20 times, do this every day for 3 or 4 days. Over this time do not use the recall command anywhere else or at any time you think there is a possibility of failure.
Then practice in the garden for a few days before trying out in a park.

The important thing is to never call recall if there is a chance of failure untill it has been fully installed again.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »

He is just hitting adolescence - this is the time when a lot of obedient pups suddenly go deaf!
I would go back a step and really make sure the groundwork is put in... definately don't progress unless he is reliable at the step he is on, as that is just setting him up to fail (and teaching him to ignore you in the process).
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline primmer

• Murphy - working cocker spaniel
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 07:18:57 PM »
Mitzy - do you have a whistle to call him back? Just asking cos when Murphy is busy sniffing it takes the whistle rather than calling him to get his attention. E
Rachel and Muphy x

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 09:36:22 PM »
Hi,

I would miss a meal so the pup is hungry

The important thing is to never call recall if there is a chance of failure untill it has been fully installed again.

Agree with this - Ben loves food so much it was never a problem he always wanted his treat.  Harry is very different and loves his food, but a good scent is just as exciting to him  :005: so on days we are going on the moor and he can be off lead he has nothing to eat before we leave the house, and I make sure the treats are warm so they smell really yummy.  Usually does the trick  ;)