Author Topic: Questions about the future  (Read 3026 times)

Offline russ-g

Questions about the future
« on: October 19, 2022, 09:08:07 AM »
Hi,

Stanley is 17 weeks old currently. I'm fortunate to work in an industry where I can work from home a lot (currently every day). My wife also works 2.5 days a week so is home a fair bit, but Stanley is my responsibility. Right now things are working well. Stanley up at 6am, then back in his crate at 8am until mid-morning to stretch his legs and go to the loo, then he's back in the crate until midday. Out for an hour for a walk and lunch, then pretty much the same pattern until 5pm. The evening often consists of managing his zoomies so we'll do some games and often an enforced stint or two in the crate to calm himself, then he usually toddles off to his crate for bed around 8/9ish. I take him out at 10pm for a wee before I go to bed. Rinse and repeat.

At some point I'd like to start venturing back to the office for the odd morning or afternoon. So my first question is at what age is he likely to be able to do 4 or 5 hours in his crate? OR, at what age is he likely to be trustworthy enough to be left alone for the same amount of time in the lounge/dining room (the ideal)? On these days I'd either be home at lunch to take him for a good walk, or I'd have a dog walker visit.

The future I had envisaged was working from home 2 or 3 days a week and having a dog walker come in on the other days when we can't be here. He can't go with a dog walker yet, so I guess my other question is at what age is he likely to be OK to go with a dog walker?

I know a lot of this is dependent on the dog, but Im looking for ball-park expectations so I can plan for the future.

Thanks!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Questions about the future
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 09:20:16 AM »
Can't advise re dog walker, but wonder how dog friendly your office is? I used to take my 2 Scotties to work, they were tucked behind my desk in their bed. Took for a long walk in the country park nearby at lunchtime. It was an office of about six people, all liked dogs, and there weren't members of the public in and out, so it worked well.
4 or 5 hours in a crate seems rather long to me. What about a puppy pen?
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 10:48:29 AM »
Hi Russ, I agree with Finverra re the length of crate time and would also suggest a larger, if necessary enclosed area. I understand that he‘s still very young and obviously mischevious but by my way of thinking, if he‘s in the crate for long periods its understandable that he’s going to go balmy when he does come out. My approach would be to give him a bit more freedom and get him used to lying quietly while you’re working as that would be the ultimate aim in the long run. Crates do have their purpose but all the time the dogs are in there, unless its for naps,  they’re not actually learning anything, they need to be given the chance to learn to „behave“ in company (and when alone ) and I tend to think the earlier the better.
(P.s. when my dog was ill last year, I bought a puppy run on Amazon which came in sections and could be slotted together so you could vary shape and size, something like that might be an idea?)

Offline russ-g

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 02:23:25 PM »
I had a feeling this post might turn into a debate about time in the crate. Im sure we'll consider options as time goes on, but right now he's confined to the crate when we can't supervise him.

Im just trying to gauge the milestones at which we can expect to be able to start leaving him for longer periods (crate or pen), and when he might be able to go out with a dog walker.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 06:13:02 PM »
Others may disagree with me, but I don’t think dogs have the same concept of time as humans do.  If I put my dogs in their crates for an hour or for three hours they behave the same.   I just  make sure they relieve themselves before they go in and straight outside when they come out of them.
It does depend on the dog too.  I feel I could trust my 6 month old puppy with free run of the kitchen (with crate door open) but not so his 15 month old sister.
During the night they are crated from 11 to 7 which is a considerable time, but that is their routine.  In fact, last thing at night they race into the house as quickly as possible to settle into their crates and get their bed time biscuit.
Good luck with finding a good dog walker.  I have never used one but I have seen a lot who are completely irresponsible and just seem to take as many dogs as possible,  Remember too, that your puppy will not be needing the same amount of exercise as an adult dog and if the dog walker takes multiple dogs together, your pup may be over exercised.  At 17 weeks your little one should only be having 20 to 25 minute walks.
Dogs do adapt and while it isn’t ideal to leave him for 4/5 hours while you are at work, sometimes it has to be done.  When I had my two previous cockers,  I always tried to work just half days (but even that meant with travel time about 4 to 5 hours ) but sometimes for financial necessity I had to do the occasional full day.  I used to worry all the time about the dogs being in their crates all day and would rush home to let them out feeling really guilty but the dogs were always fine.  Personally I would rather my young dogs be crated and safe than free to roam the house and thus endanger themselves.  You will know your own dog.  My two previous cockers were about 2  before they had free run of the house.  My GSP at 7 years old was never allowed free run as he was a totally different character  :005:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline russ-g

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 08:13:31 AM »
Others may disagree with me, but I don’t think dogs have the same concept of time as humans do.  If I put my dogs in their crates for an hour or for three hours they behave the same.   I just  make sure they relieve themselves before they go in and straight outside when they come out of them.
It does depend on the dog too.  I feel I could trust my 6 month old puppy with free run of the kitchen (with crate door open) but not so his 15 month old sister.
During the night they are crated from 11 to 7 which is a considerable time, but that is their routine.  In fact, last thing at night they race into the house as quickly as possible to settle into their crates and get their bed time biscuit.
Good luck with finding a good dog walker.  I have never used one but I have seen a lot who are completely irresponsible and just seem to take as many dogs as possible,  Remember too, that your puppy will not be needing the same amount of exercise as an adult dog and if the dog walker takes multiple dogs together, your pup may be over exercised.  At 17 weeks your little one should only be having 20 to 25 minute walks.
Dogs do adapt and while it isn’t ideal to leave him for 4/5 hours while you are at work, sometimes it has to be done.  When I had my two previous cockers,  I always tried to work just half days (but even that meant with travel time about 4 to 5 hours ) but sometimes for financial necessity I had to do the occasional full day.  I used to worry all the time about the dogs being in their crates all day and would rush home to let them out feeling really guilty but the dogs were always fine.  Personally I would rather my young dogs be crated and safe than free to roam the house and thus endanger themselves.  You will know your own dog.  My two previous cockers were about 2  before they had free run of the house.  My GSP at 7 years old was never allowed free run as he was a totally different character  :005:

Thanks. Sounds like we have similar views on the subject. Dogs sometimes have to fit in with our routine and be flexible. I dont intend to crate for 5 hours on a daily basis at all, but there are going to be times when it must happen, and I dont think once or twice a week is likely to cause severe issues.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see on the other things :)

Offline Grannyp

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 12:08:00 PM »
Hi Russ, not sure whether this is helpful or not but I've got a 19 month show cocker, Barney. He has never been crated as he hated having anything over his head (with hindsight I should probably have persevered with the training to get him used to it) but he does have a pen. I can't remember when I stopped leaving him in the pen if I went out but it's been at least 6 months. He then had the run of the kitchen and dining room, but with half the dining room partitioned off so he couldn't get to the chairs I wouldn't want him to chew and I had somewhere to put things I didn't want him to have. He has been absolutely fine when left and this week I have felt confident enough in his behaviour to remove the partition. I don't often leave him for more than 4 hours but I have no doubt I could if I needed to.

For perspective he is a lively dog who will steal anything he can get his paws on if it's made of paper or plastic but has shown no destructive tendencies when left alone.

The pen is only used now when we have our evening meal as he won't leave us alone while we eat, or if he needs securing for a short time for his safety or my sanity!

Offline russ-g

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 02:17:59 PM »
Hi Russ, not sure whether this is helpful or not but I've got a 19 month show cocker, Barney. He has never been crated as he hated having anything over his head (with hindsight I should probably have persevered with the training to get him used to it) but he does have a pen. I can't remember when I stopped leaving him in the pen if I went out but it's been at least 6 months. He then had the run of the kitchen and dining room, but with half the dining room partitioned off so he couldn't get to the chairs I wouldn't want him to chew and I had somewhere to put things I didn't want him to have. He has been absolutely fine when left and this week I have felt confident enough in his behaviour to remove the partition. I don't often leave him for more than 4 hours but I have no doubt I could if I needed to.

For perspective he is a lively dog who will steal anything he can get his paws on if it's made of paper or plastic but has shown no destructive tendencies when left alone.

The pen is only used now when we have our evening meal as he won't leave us alone while we eat, or if he needs securing for a short time for his safety or my sanity!

Very helpful, thank you so much!

Offline theshrew

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 02:19:22 AM »
This was a long time ago but both of the Cocker pups ive had have been left in the Kitchen since i had them, i used to walk them before work a good run about then go home at Lunch to walk them again. We had a few expected accidents but after a few months it was fine. We used to see the very odd one when they were adults in very warm weather, obviously they drink a lot more. This was the norm until a few months ago we only have the oldest one now 14.5 but shes suddenly reverted back to being a pup, again explainable.

More recently my rescue Cocker just doesn't pee at all, it doesn't matter how long he waits I'm guessing by probably living in a cage all his life until i got him created that. Take him for a walk he pee's for England. My Springer is an adolescent now and she'll hold it in for all of my working day now even though I'm working from home pretty much all of the time. I do have to go in the office sometimes but there fine.