Author Topic: Bailey The Rescued Cocker  (Read 14275 times)

Offline theshrew

Bailey The Rescued Cocker
« on: August 18, 2020, 11:16:20 AM »
I thought I’d post about Bailey and keep updating throughout our journey. Perhaps this might give people some insight of what to expect / others might be able to give us some tips along the way.

We’ve been looking for a new dog since around Feb this year. That sounds like a simple task but trust me it wasn’t.

We’ve always had puppies before but with the ridiculous prices people are charging at the moment we thought we would go down the rescue route. It was just a case of waiting for the right dog for us to be looking for a home.

After applications sent for loads of dogs and a lot of disappointment we finally managed to secure Bailey 😍

He’s a 5 year old Ex Breeding dog. Never lived in a house, been on the lead or been around humans before or the ones he has haven’t treated him well, he’s a very scared boy.

So after a long drive we collected him on Sunday. I was surprised he got straight off of the crate and went into the garden. Here he is when we got home.

He wouldn’t settle the first night and he didn’t like the TV being on, he wouldn’t come into the living room. Loads of changes for him over the last few days. He’s had his plumbs chopped off, a long car ride and a new house so it’s a lot for him to take in.

Day 2

I didn’t really want to take him on a walk just yet with him having lots to deal with already over the last few days and hadn’t had a lead on before. However he hadn’t had a poo 💩 so thought I’d have to. We drove him to a quiet field, sure enough it worked. It was a bit more like doing the tango than a walk but he seemed to get the hang of it to a fashion after some persuading. We even managed to walk home along the road.

Another walk last night along the road he did really well all things considered. The traffic didn’t bother him so that’s great progress.

He won’t come to us yet but at least he feels comfortable enough to fall asleep near us and near the TV now. It’s going to be a long road to get over his fear of humans, I can see he wants to do things just not sure about it. I think he’s got the makings of a great dog.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Bailey The Rescued Cocker
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 11:26:10 AM »
Ah bless and welcome to Bailey.....it is lovely to see the last pic of to sleepy cockers - am sure there will be ups and downs but am sure he will soon take baby steps.  He looks a sweetie :luv:

I also thinks it's good to take a rescue, we too had always had puppies and with Ollie came our first rescue and yes there has been challenges over the years - but he is worth his weight in gold.

Take each day at a time and good luck with your new additions and will wait to read the updates :D
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
Welcome to Bailey, yes he has had a lot of changes, but I am sure with time and your skills he will settle into his new loving home.  :luv: :luv:

lovely photos btw  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 02:05:21 PM »
 :luv: ahhhh , he looks just like Humphrey, the way he‘s lying there!!
As you say, baby steps and a lot of very big changes for him, it must be so confusing but with a companion by his side to show him the ropes, I‘m sure he‘ll blossom before long. Looking forward to the updates!,

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »
Hey Bailey  :luv: welcome to the team!  What a lovely looking boy. I think he has done really well in such a short time.  So many new things to discover and learn.  When we had Lara we found that just giving her space to find her feet and understand that she could do her own thing was the best way.  She learnt more from the two boys than from us.  Lovely to see him settling so well.  Delighted for you.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 03:09:58 AM »
 :luv: :luv:

Lucky Bailey to have you.  I too have recently taken on a rescue Cocker, Maisie.  (Always had puppies before but decided as I am getting older a rescue made sense and my journey to get Maisie was difficult too).  She is blue roan and 18 months old.  Maisie has been with me now two and a half weeks and we are making good progress.  When we are one to one she is almost fine now.  Still won't pass me in a doorway.  When I let her in from the garden I open the back door and I have to come back into the kitchen out of her sight before she will enter the house.  Maisie didn't like the TV either at first and barked at it the first time it was turned on.  She has wonderful cuddles in the evening now.  She obviously hadn't been used to going on the sofa but now when I settle to watch TV in the evening and get her fleece blanket she is there, paws up, waiting to be lifted onto the sofa.  She has never made any attempt to jump on the sofa, although I am sure she is quite capable.  She is fine on walks but not great when other dogs approach.  We have not walked where there is more heavy traffic and I'll probably avoid that for a long time.  For the first four nights I had great difficulty in getting Maisie to come back into the house when I had let her into the garden for her late night wee.  I do have quite a large garden so this was difficult.  I realise now we just had to build up the trust and now she comes back to the door when she is ready, admittedly sometimes in her own time.   >:D

When friends or family have come to visit and to see Maisie she is like a different dog.  She retreats to the bottom of the garden, initially barking at whoever is visiting.  She will not come anywhere near them, even people who she has now met 3 times.  When the visitors have gone home she seems to regress back to the more nervous dog she was, reluctant to approach me and it often takes quite a lot of coaxing before she is her normal self again.  It is going to be a long journey but she is soo worth it.  Maisie is developing into a complete cuddle monster and I can often see her gratitude to me for giving her her forever home.  I am Maisie's fourth owner and I don't know what went on in her past but she is developing into a beautiful, loving dog, which was absolutely what I wanted.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
That’s good to hear.

Bailey wouldn’t come back into the house at first but he’s fine now. Like you say we just have to back away from the door.

Yesterday he’s had a roll about a couple of times in the living room which was nice to see. He really wants to get on the sofa with Missy but hasn't got the confidence just yet.

Apart from coming to us for a treat he won’t approach us. But he’s very inquisitive to see what your doing will follow you from room to room but then back off if you turn around. That’s he’s biggest problem once we’ve cracked that I’m sure he will make huge steps. I think it might be a while before we get to that stage though

Offline theshrew

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 11:50:39 PM »
I thought id give an update on Bailey i had planned to be more regular but unfortunately its been manic at work so i've not had the chance.

He's making progress slowly but surely but were heading in the right direction.

After about 2 weeks he would jump on the sofa to be next to Missy he just follows her everywhere. The last few days he's happy enough to hop on and sit next to us to although not that confident with that yet.

He played with a toy all by himself last night which put a huge smile on my face. Missy doesn't play at all these days so that's something he cant pick up on from her.

Walks - He absolutely loves them. He found his voice about a week ago and goes mad when he knows he's going out, He gets so excited but he wont come to use to let us put his lead on just yet but he is getting better with that. While out walking its a little mixed tbh with Missy hes pretty good but pulls like a train when he see's grass. I got him on a long line last weekend and he loved a run about although it was more like having a very young pup did it for a very short space of time then gave up. The best bit was he came to us when he saw Missy did and was happy to be rewarded and stroked a couple of times.

Missy had an issue with her paw last week so we didn't take her out for a few days, he wasn't to keen on that. On the long line he'd try and run off when i turned my back. On the plus side on the way back he walked really nice and kept looking for me for reassurance he'd normally be looking for Missy all the time.

His biggest issue is people approaching him. He will come for treats no problem now he will even climb up and take off my shoulder if im on the sofa. If you try to touch him he will back off very rapidly. Yet he will come and sit next to me and let me stroke him. Thats worse first thing in the morning he kinda takes a step back as hes been alone over night its 1 step forward 1 back at the moment then we will gain 0.1 of a step the next day.

Its going to be a long and at times very frustrating road but a very rewarding one.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 06:57:31 AM »
 :luv: that sounds very positive, I‘m so glad he‘s making such good progress, he‘s obviously thawing out and feeling secure. As for pulling on the line - well that just proves he‘s a proper cocker   ;) , very frustrating but better than him lagging behind and being disinterested (there‘s always a positive side to everything!!   :lol2:).
Thanks for the update, looking forward to the next episode!  :D

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 09:47:41 AM »
Aww! That sounds like he is making really good progress, bless him  :luv: :clapping: :clapping:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 10:43:40 AM »
Lovely update :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 08:08:36 PM »
I think he is doing great, it is so rewarding to see them try new things.  It does take time, but that itself is a luxury for him, as he now gets to make his own choices.  it's like a game of join the dots for him, one day they will all line up and he will make the connection.  A lovely update, thank you.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 02:42:13 AM »
Sorry another long wait for an update, work is crazy but at least I’m at home in these crazy times.

Bailey - Well it’s like he’s 2 different dogs at the moment tbh. When he’s happy he’s getting to be like a normal happy cocker to a fashion. That soon turns back into I’m scared I’ve been treated badly before mode. Frustrating as this is its getting better as the days go by.

Tbh his progress 90% is due to Missy, without her I doubt we would be anywhere other than owning another dog. He absolutely adores her and puts 100% faith in whatever she does.

The challenge - he is wary of humans, not as much as he was he’s slowly coming around. Something as simple as teaching a dog to sit has been a huge challenge. The normal raise the hand and the bum sits doesn’t work, he runs off presumably something bad had happened in the past.

Well he’s eventually done it yesterday 😍 Such a small thing is a huge achievement for us, although I suspect it will take a lot longer for it to sink in. A huge step.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 06:37:20 AM »
That‘s a lovely update, how wonderful that Bailey and Missy have bonded so well, I‘m sure that makes a huge difference.
I can well imagine that the conventional signals we use to train the basic commands aren’t always effective  for a dog that‘s had a lot of negative experiences previously because of they way they interpret our body language. It must be a huge learning curve for you too but it sounds as if you‘re getting there.... :clapping: and of course your little helper‘s doing a grand job!  :luv:
All the best, looking forward to the next update!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 09:13:52 AM »
Just discovered this thread. Sounds like Bailey is in the right home! I think you (and your little helper) are doing a wonderful job, so much progress already. He reminds me a little of my own dog when I first got her, almost half-feral. His interest in you and your patience with him sounds like a promising combination. It will be so much fun to follow your story!

Just a random idea, but a target stick could help with training if he gets worried about hands. Could be easier to teach him to follow a target than hands if he has negative experiences with the latter. Well done for getting a sit, I can't imagine the challenge of training a dog that has had 5 years to learn all the wrong lessons. Big win for you  :clapping: