Author Topic: HELP: Is rehoming the only option?  (Read 5491 times)

Offline JamieL

HELP: Is rehoming the only option?
« on: November 11, 2014, 01:40:37 PM »
Is rehoming the only option?

Hello all,

I'm hoping for some advice and words of wisdom from experienced owners about whether or not to rehome my 11 month old working cocker spaniel, Ollie or whether there is more that I can do for him before having to resort to rehoming. I feel truly awful, depressed and anxious about it so would please ask that you don't judge and criticise me, I feel bad enough and don't want to feel worse. Please try and understand :( I admit that I rushed into it and never expected it to be so much work and I feel terribly guilty and upset about that, please don't make me feel worse.

I got Ollie from a breeder when he was ready to leave his mum and I've had him everyday since and although I love him to bits I feel that the stress and upset that he causes massively outweighs the comfort and companionship he brings.

He is very excited and hyperactive and seems impossible to train. We live in a small house on a suburban estate so his walks are always on the lead and are restricted to walking around the streets which I know is far from ideal for working cockers. When he's on his lead he pulls so much that I can barely control him and he is so strong that he pulls me with him. Nothing seems to stop him doing this and it has reached the point where I absolutely dread taking him out. When he is off the lead he bolts so far in front of me that he can't even hear me calling him back and when he does hear me he doesn't come back anyway. I get so scared that he will see a dog on the other side of the road and run across. I'm ALWAYS worried and anxious when I'm out with him. His pulling is constant and at times my hands are red raw from holding the lead and trying to control him. I know walks shouldn't be like this for him or me.

When we are at home he does not sit still from the minute I get up. He paces around as if looking for something to do and nothing seems to keep him occupied enough for him to be relaxed and calm. He jumps on the couches and despite constantly putting him off the couch and telling him not to he just does it again and again. He doesn't go on the couch to sit and relax, I wouldn't mind that. He just gets up on them and jumps around or stand on all fours on there. Sometimes I just end up giving in and leaving him there.

When I want to relax he is jumping up at me so much that I can't watch something on TV or read a book as my concentration is constantly interrupted. A lot of the time he will jump up onto the couch where I'm sitting and actually stand on me with his front paws on my chest. Only physically picking him up and putting him down stops this, but then he just does it again. I feel like I don't have any peace whatsoever.

He runs around the living room and regularly knocks things over; glasses of juice, papers off the table, furnishings and decorative items in the home, basically anything knockable and within reach of his tail will be knocked and possibly broken. It has reached the point where I'm not replacing things that are broken or damaged because I just think he will do it again.

He is quite destructful and if not kept an eye on he will chew things around the house. When I first got him he would sleep in the kitchen, until he started chewing the bottom of the kitchen cupboards and the plastic pipe cover which conceals the pipes coming from the radiator. I decided to let him sleep in the lounge and the same thing happened, he chewed the skirting board. Recently he pulled a piece of floor beading off and chewed this into bits, I felt it was only a matter of time before he pulled the rest of it off that I bought him a cage and now leave him in there to sleep and when I go out. Caging him makes me feel cruel but we live in a rented house so really can't afford for him to be causing damage and destroying fixtures and fittings that I will have to pay to be repaired or replaced.

I try to keep him occupied with toys and chews but they don't last very long. He destroys soft toys VERY quickly, ripping them into shreds and leaving them strewn about all over the living room. The cost of having an endless supply of toys for him to destroy is ridiculous.

I have a medium sized grassy back garden for him to use but I quite simply dread letting him out there as he comes in and leaves a trial of black muddy paw prints right through the house. When he wants to go out he jumps up at the back door which jingles the keys which I hear and therefore get up and let him out. Sometimes he goes out for a few seconds and comes back in, so I close the door and sit back down, then I hear the keys jingling 10 seconds later, and he will do the same thing over and over again; make me let him out, come back in and then make me let him out again. This is absolutely horrible for me as I know that when a dog's wants to go outside he should be let outside...but not to the point where I am up and down every 30 seconds letting him in and out. Ignorance doesn't seem to make a difference as if I ignore him he just goes on and on.

I don't have many visitors at my house but on the rare occasions when I do I have to put him in another room as he gets so excited and worked up when he sees people that they don't actually enjoy it. He jumps up at them and will not calm down to the point that I'm embarrassed and uncomfortable about his behaviour. Then when he is upstairs he is scratching at the door and making so much noise, the after visitors have gone he is so worked up that he will run around the house and be extremely excited for a while after.

When I eat he jumps up at me and always wants what I have. If I am sitting down eating he will jump up and stand on me with his face millimetres from mine, every time I push him away he comes back.

When I go out he is constantly on my mind and I find myself rushing home to let him out of his cage as the idea of him being cooped up in there by himself makes me feel terrible. I feel that my life is not my own anymore.

After lots of consideration I decided to advertise him for adoption and arranged to meet two families last weekend. The first seemed ideal, a family living in a rural surroundings with their own land and where he wouldn't be walked but rather let out onto their fields to get as much exercise as he wants, chase birds and rabbits etc. It seemed perfect but after renting a car and driving 100 miles to visit them they didn't end up wanting him. They had another cocker who was the opposite to Ollie, very calm and placid and Ollie was just too much for them to handle. I had lined up another family nearer home so I took him there afterwards and they fell in love with him. I asked the father to take him for a walk so that I could leave without Ollie having to watch me go. It was a very painful experience. I had a terrible night and it was one of the worst evenings I've ever gone through, I was incredibly upset and felt painfully guilty and constantly shaky and worried whether I had done the right thing. Then at the crack of dawn the next morning the family called me and asked me to go back and collect him, I don't think they could handle him. I cried so much and now I feel like I am back where I started. The lady who took him said that during the night he was extremely distressed, unsettled and crying constantly which I was devastated to hear because the one thing that got me through the night was the thought that he will be happy and enjoying himself with his new family. Now I feel like nobody will want him and I'll be stuck in this cycle for the next 10+ years. I'm almost 30 and shouldn't be living like this at this point in my life.

When I went to collect him I took him to my mother's straight after. She could see how upset I was and said she would keep him for a few days so that I could have a break. I have been at a friends down South since Sunday trying to relax but all I can think of is the dog, whether there is more I can do, whether he will calm down with time, whether it's all my fault, or whether I am simply not cut out for it and he is better with another owner.

Can somebody please give me some words or support or advice. I just don't know what more I can do with him and I really feel like he is quickly draining the energy out of me and no longer brings me any pleasure. I keep telling myself it will get better with time but it feels as if it's getting worse over time. What can I do?

Sorry for the long post!!
Jamie

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: HELP: Is rehoming the only option?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 01:57:23 PM »
oh Jamie you are in a pickle...
I'm no expert but i'm sure someone with
good knowledge will be along to give you
some advice so be patient...
could I ask ... have you done any formal
training classes with Ollie?
Going to give you this.... :bigarmhug:
I think you need it!

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »
Where do you live?

I think if anyone on here is going to be able to offer advice, they may need to meet Ollie. If anyone knows of a trainer/behaviourist, they will also need to know whereabouts you live.

I know a good trainer/behaviourist in the midlands, but she may be too far from you.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:25:19 PM »
Hi Jamie - I am so sorry you are going through this and, as you have found out, doing your homework before getting a dog is so important. I have 2 working cockers and I can't even imagine how they would be with only on-lead walks. They need a good run every day of at least an hour to an hour and a half if they are to settle.

Have you thought about something like Flyball or Agility with him?

If you really can't give him more exercise and stimulation then I think you are doing the right thing in re-homing him and please don't worry - there are lots of people out there who will relish having a working cocker - I know I do. I would suggest though that you go to a proper rescue centre to do it like Working Cocker Spaniel Rescue or CAESSR as they are trained in finding the right homes.

Big hugs for all you are going through  :luv:
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline JamieL

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »
We live in Liverpool.

He has never had any proper training classes. Do you think classes could help?

I've just been on the phone to the cocker and springer rescue asking questions and trying to get some reassurance that I'd be doing the right thing if I did hand him over to them for rehoming. I'm heartbroken because before I had Ollie I was always the first person so say that people who send their dogs for rehoming are monsters, cruel, etc and now I'm in that exact position.

Offline Catty_G

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
Hi Jamie,
I was going to suggest flyball or agility classes but JanD beat me too it. :003:

I have a 14 month old working cocker and I find that she needs to be mentally stimulated too. I don't do agility of flyball myself but I do take her to dog training two or three times a month and I find that helps her wonderfully. Where we go the instructor does different things each week from general obedience (which helps with the lead pulling) to sniffing training which she excels at. The mental stimulation tires her more than the physical on those days.
   We also go to a canine hydrotherapy unit for "Fun swims"  about twice a month. That is great  exercise for them too maybe they have a similar thing near where you live. She sleeps like a baby when she gets home from that and she really enjoys it.

Hope you find the solution that suits you both, he's still very young and will calm down eventually  ((hugs)) to you both

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »

He has never had any proper training classes. Do you think classes could help?

Yes as long as you find a trainer who
uses positive methods (maybe Apdt or similar)
Cockers have busy inquisitive minds and
giving them training sets up boundaries
for them and helps them focus...

Offline Catty_G

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:53:08 PM »
I think it will help a lot. ...But do go visit a few before you decide which one can offer the best for you and Ollie, as 8 Hairy feet said make sure it is "positive" methods they use as your dog will be happier to work with you.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
Hi Jamie, first I think training classes will be good for him but make sure its a trainer who uses positive methods . the crate is fine as long as its big enough and hes never put in it for punishment, I was at my wits end years ago with my second cocker Bruno , he had separation anxiety and would destroy my house, I finally got him a crate and he loved it I gave him a treat every day before I left him and he felt that the crate was his safe place. he eventually would go in and I would just leave the door open.  He turned out to be the most clever beautiful dog ever  :luv: :luv:.  Have you got anywhere safe you can go to let him off leash to run off that energy, maybe throw a ball for him. if you do decide that rehoming him is the only answer please try and use a reputable rescue such as the ones janD suggested , they will be able to find the right forever  home for him
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 03:43:42 PM »
Have you heard of TTouch? There's a link here: www.ttouch.com (hope that works)

There's a TTouch practicioner in Meols which isn't far from Liverpool. Her name is Glynis Stewart, phone 0151 632 2094. Email: glynis@trendypooches.co.uk.

I had a TTouch practicioner's help with a previous dog's behaviour and my only regret is that I didn't contact her earlier.

Good luck with Ollie & please let us know how you get on  ;)

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
I don't have any advice for the behaviour I'm afraid but if you're looking for a secure place to walk him off lead, try this FB page
Dog Walking Fields - Securely Fences, Private, Off Lead Dog Walking areas
https://www.facebook.com/dogwalkingfields?pnref=lhc
You may be able to find something in your area

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »
Hello Jamie and welcome to COL :D

I'm sorry things have become so difficult for you and Ollie. He sounds like a normal, lively working Cocker puppy who needs more mental stimulation and exercise than he's getting at the moment. If you are able to provide that he's likely to become calmer and easier to live with, but being a working Cocker and young, he's still going to be a dog that requires a lot of owner input in the years ahead.

I'm pleased you've phoned a proper rescue (I'm guessing CAESSR), because if you decide to rehome Ollie that's much the best way to go. A good rescue will have the necessary experience to be able to assess Ollie so they know what kind of a home he will be suited to and then find him the right family and home. They will vet and homecheck potential owners and will always be there in the future as a safeguard if something should go wrong in the new home.

Please don't continue down the route of private rehoming. It can work, but there are lots of pitfalls and also some evil people out there who masquerade as families wanting pets but are a cover for dog fighting rings and puppy farms.

If you decide to keep Ollie some very good suggestions have already been made about taking him to training classes and, when he's had some training and has a good sit, stay and recall, trying agility or flyball with him. It isn't going to be easy because you're pretty much starting from scratch with him and will also be having him to train him out of things like pulling on the lead. But Cockers are smart little dogs and you'll probably find that once he's having some training the two of you will see each other in a different light and start to build up a bond.

Can you look ahead and see where you would like to be with Ollie in 6 months time? Do you have the time and commitment to go to training classes once or twice a week and do training at home and out on walks in between times? When you're at home are you prepared to do training and play games with him to help give him the mental stimulation he needs so you and he can both relax at the end of it? It's a big ask, especially through the winter months when dark evenings and bad weather make things more difficult. If you decide to keep him you'll have to commit to doing a lot of hard work on a daily basis to get to a point where you can both enjoy life together, but it will be very rewarding once you start to enjoy each other. If you can't commit to it then I honestly think it would be better for both of you if Ollie was rehomed through a proper rescue such as CAESSR.

Good luck with whatever you decide is best for both you and Ollie :D

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 05:29:12 PM »
I think you have had some really good advice but reading your post I honestly think you would be doing the right thing by rehoming him through a reputable rescue.  I just don't think the two of you are suited to each other, not that you are a bad person any more than he is a bad dog, but your lifestyles just aren't compatible.

He needs more exercise and more mental stimulation.  He also needs someone who doesn't mind the muddy footprints and can cope with some general cocker madness.  I have a show cocker and she is  pretty well behaved but she does like to be on the sofa with me, she will wiggle herself into the gap between my face and a book if I'm reading and she wants attention and she does jump up (a lot!).  Thankfully, she isn't as (hyper)active as some cockers.  For that, I have a harrier/setter cross who needs lots of input and exercise which she gets but she certainly wouldn't be the dog for everyone and I don't think Ollie is the dog for you.

I feel that although you could take Ollie to training classes, he is never going to be the dog you want because it's not in his nature to lounge around the house, entertain himself, keep clean and enjoy trotting out for just a couple of lead walks a day, which is the lifestyle you are offering.

I really think if you decide to get another dog in the future, you should think about rehoming an oldie who would be content to lie quietly, enjoy pottering around etc.  We have a 10-year-old ex-hunting  dog we adopted a month ago.  He had been abandoned and seeing him come out of his shell and start to enjoy home comforts is very rewarding.

It's obvious that you care about Ollie and wants what's best for him and I think the bravest thing to do would be to let him go and be rehomed through CAESSR or something similar.  I'm sure they could find him a good home.  Good luck.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »
Dear Jamie

Do not feel bad about this. You are clearly thinking about your dog's welfare and have the dog's best interests at heart. Certainly look at other options such as agility or flyball or anything else that will provide work to do. That does depend on your ability and time as well of course.

Hoping it turns out well for you both.

Rodney

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 06:42:03 PM »
As well as all the great advice you have received have you considered his diet? If he is eating a food with lots of additives this can add to his hyperactive behaviour.  It also sounds like you are very anxious and in turn this will make Ollie anxious. My dog was very similar to yours when we got him, (although he is show type) changing his diet along with lots and lots of mental stimulation (mainly clicker training) he eventually calmed.  Also look at the sticky about how to train a reliable recall, it does not happen overnight, but if you follow it to the letter it proves very effective. I wish you lots of luck in whatever you decide is best for you both.