Author Topic: New Puppy  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Packwood

• Site Member
New Puppy
« on: January 23, 2004, 05:47:23 PM »
Hi, my beloved cocker spaniel Jake died just before christmas  :( & now I have a new addition to the family - Milly. She is adorable but I'm finding it hard to deal with a puppy after 13 years. She's biting a lot and being loony & I'm sure I'm doing everything wrong!! I've read the FAQs on biting but the ignoring & firm voice doesn't seem to be working. Any help/support/advice would be really welcome.
Thanks, Angela                    
Angela Packwood

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
New Puppy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 06:29:40 PM »
Hi Angela, speaking from past experience here :wink:  I'd say just keep at it. The trick is to be consistent and one day it will all fall into place.  Thats the theory anyway :lol:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gaynor

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 06:55:56 PM »
Hi Angela

Welcome to you and 'Milly ' ....... i went through similar problems last year , a week after we'd had our longed for 8wk old pup , i was ready to take her back !! , she was a 'little cow ! ' biting and snapping at faces etc , and it really got me down !

Im pleased to say that 'it blew over ' quite quickly , i just kept on saying no and when she was at her worst i popped her in her basket in the kitchen for 'some time out' ......only for 5 min or so !

She is now 7mths old and although not YET quite an angel shes wonderful ! , unfortunatly tommorrow she has to go in to 'kennels' for the 1st time ( just overnight ) and im dreading it !

Good luck with Milly !

Love Gaynor & Amber xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    
HAVE A LOOK IN MY ALBUM FOR A RECENT PICCIE OF AMBER !!

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
New Puppy
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 09:58:26 PM »
Hi Angela

Welcome to COL as Gill has said you need to keep at it and Milly will soon get the hang of it.  Do you have a crate or something similar where you can put her for time out ??  This is also very good at giving you both a break.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 10:25:26 AM »
Hi Angela & Milly, I have a little terror too, Maggie.  :D
She was just the same as Milly. Keep saying no and be firm.  :x
I have a crate for Maggie where I tend to put her "out of the way" for 5 minutes if she gets too silly and snappy just to give her chance to quiet down.
We haven't quite stopped all the nipping but she is far better than she was.
Samantha & Maggie                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
New Puppy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 01:11:01 PM »
Hi Angela, welcome to COL :wink:

There seems to be a few COL members going through the same phase at the moment.  Check out the puppy section under the thread 'Biting' and you'll see that Katherine and Emma are having exactly the same experiences with their puppies.  Shona has been too but her perseverence is now paying off :wink:   What I am saying is that you are not alone and Milly is like any other puppy :wink: Continue being firm with her and eventually things will fall into place, this doesn't happen overnight though :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 03:03:49 PM »
:D Hi Angela

Welcome to the board :)   As the others have said bear with it, it will get much better, believe me :wink:   I am mum to Indie who is 9 months and there were times when she was much younger that I thought I was totally doing everything wrong :roll:  It seemed I used to spend my days, shouting NO and ignoring her :?   I thought I was the only one, and that Indie was some kind of exceptional puppy that would nip forever :twisted: Then one day things just seemed to get much much better :)  and now she is a little darling, yes she has her mischievious moments, but hey, thats what puppies do, now I tend to  :lol:  at them instead of :(  as its all about learning, she is learning and I am learning too :wink:

Don't let it get you down, it is just a phase, it will pass as Milly realises that you don't like it.  No puppy likes to be ignored, they soon learn, some take longer than others, but please be reassured, you are by no means the only person who has/is going through this :)  

So sorry to hear of your loss :(  I really feel for you, its so awful losing a pet.  

Please keep us posted on how things are going with Milly, I am sure in a couple of weeks you will be saying how brilliant she is now :D

Take care                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 09:04:05 PM »
Hi Angela, welcome to cockersonline  :lol: Try not to let your pup's constant mouthing get to you - we've all been there, we all know what it's like! It wont be too long before the teething stops and Milly grows out of this phase, until then feel free to come here and moan, it's what we're here for  :wink:                    

lynseyloo

New Puppy
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 08:51:27 PM »
welcome Angela and Milly.. like the others said ..you'll get there..  :wink:  :)                    

Offline Packwood

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 12:33:40 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded to my 'whine' about Milly nipping etc. She is getting a bit better & I do love her to bits. I'm trying to be consistent & ignoring her or putting her out when she goes completely batty.
Angela                    
Angela Packwood

Offline niv

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 02:00:11 PM »
hi packwood, glad to here you got a new spaniel ,i cant wait to get mine  they are part of your life after 17 years we were very sad when he said good bye ,by the way packwood is very unusual that is my maiden name not many of us around ,  niv                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2004, 05:35:49 PM »
Hi Angela,

:D welcome to COL :D

I'm so glad things seem to be getting better for you and from what you've said, you seem to be doing all the right things, :wink: just keep at it (i know it's hard work!! :roll: ) and everything will be fine. :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

ziggy

New Puppy
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 12:23:51 AM »
hi angela,,how you gettin on with the baby,,much better i hope,,all the best ziggy x :lol:                    

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 07:42:05 AM »
Hi,
Welcome to COL.

Don't worrry, I'm sure she'll be fine soon. Bailey experienced the same problems.                    
From Georgie and Bailey xxx