Author Topic: 1967!!!!  (Read 2402 times)

Offline djangonut

• Limited Member
1967!!!!
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:39:58 AM »
Hello everybody.

I had my first cocker in 1967.  He was golden, large and bad-tempered.  He was castrated and lived for 15 years!

In 1969 I bought Jolly, a well-bred black show cocker who started a line of winning cockers that continues to this day.

Because I hated bits of my cockers being chopped off at three days,  I have only bred about a dozen litters. In the 1980s I got into Irish Water Spaniels - the only spaniels not customarily docked.  I shoot over my water spaniels and also have taken my cockers out shooting.

Today I have two water spaniels, and three cockers.  Two of the cockers are ten year old sisters,  whose mother Lizzie we lost last year at nearly fifteen years. (Lizzie was the most beautifully headed black cocker that I had ever bred.) Lizzie's daughters are like chalk and cheese.  Fleur is a tiny golden who is a Peter Pan - she has never grown up.  Her sister Jenni is a larger black bitch who takes herself much more seriously - and qualified for Crufts!  Because of my doubts about docking neither Fleur nor Jenni had puppies.

Last year,  after the docking ban,  I bought Bertie,  a little, golden, show bred cocker,  whose breeding goes back to my old lines.  He is now a seven month live wire.  He has already been out shooting and retrieves partridge and woodcock to hand,  but finds wounded cock pheasants a little too much at the moment!  He is a live wire and the best thing about him is his ever-wagging, undocked, feathered tail. I love him to bits.  He hits his first Championship show in February.

John

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
Re: 1967!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 02:27:06 AM »
Pics?? Pleeaasseee?!

Welcome to COL  :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:50:32 AM »
hello John and welcome  :D  just have the one cocker, a liver working cocker, Jarvis.

would love to see some pics of yours, past and present ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:51:48 AM »
Hi John

Welcome to COL.

I have 2 girls - Molly a Blue Roan & Tan aged 3 years and Honey an Orange Roan aged 11 Months!

I thinks its great that you both work and show your dogs !  ;)

Deffinitley need some pictures as your dogs sound soooo lovely  :luv:

Lucy xx

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 10:01:03 AM »
wow! They all sound lovely  :luv:

Welcome to COL - I have Hurley who is a docked  :-\ 2 year old golden cocker spaniel. Unfortunately I had no opinion when I bought Hurley with regard to tail/no tail - now, I see the dogs with their full tails and am sad Hurley doesnt have his

Photos are a pre-requisite to the site!!  ;)

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 10:17:27 AM »
Welcome!

Would love to see some pics too! Particuarly of your live wire golden boy.. I had one of those until earlier this year :luv: I currently share my life with a 7 month blue roan cocker boy called Dave and recently rehomed a nearly 3 yr old Weimaraner bitch called Storm.

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline jakesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:35:10 AM »
Hi and welcome.

I'm kept in check by 6 month old, undocked, Jake. I just loooove his tail (apart from being whacked in the face with it at regular intervals) - it's like a propellor that boosts him along.

Would love to see some pics please?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 01:12:03 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL  :D

Definitely need to see photos of all your dogs, it's great that you work them as well as showing. I have 3 working cockers who all either work or are being trained to work.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline djangonut

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 02:18:06 PM »
Bertie's photo out on a shoot is in the puppy gallery.

John

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »
Hello and welcome! 

I've got 2 undocked Cockers, Milo is 2 1/2 and Mocha is nearly 18 months.  Just off to see pics of Bertie!

Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 08:49:51 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL  :blink:  I have Fern, an eight year old liver/white working cocker, who was initially bought to be worked, but personal circumstances put paid to that. She visits her birthplace every day though, where Mum and siblings are worked and would have been a great worker, judging by the pheasants she flushes. We have the run of hundreds of acres there, so she hasn't suffered too much  ;) .

Your username isn't referring to Reinhardt perchance?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 09:02:31 PM »
Hi and Welcome,

Just seen the piccies - you have lovely doggies  :luv:

I have two undocked working cocker pups (Roxy, 4.5months (golden) and Rio, 8 Weeks (blue roan and tan), who will hopefully become agility/flyball doggies (pets first and foremost obviously :) )for me and my OH. I have a Border Collie (nearly 8yrs and a lab cross 11yrs).

- Holly -

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 10:33:53 PM »
Welcome!

What a fantastic Cocker history you have!  We have Poppy 6 month old golden cocker - she is our first dog but I am totally smitten with cockers..... :luv:

Off to look at your pics!

Amanda & Poppy x