Author Topic: NEW PUPPY & NEW MEMBER!!!  (Read 2310 times)

Offline scachalashababy

• Site Member
NEW PUPPY & NEW MEMBER!!!
« on: January 26, 2004, 02:43:20 PM »
Hello to eveyone at COL!!

We are going to be getting a new cocker spaniel puppy in around 4 weeks time  :D

I just wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to introduce my new puppy (who i think we will be calling Bracken) to my 2yr old son.  I already have 2 cats who are quite used to my son, squeeling with excitement etc...I just wonder how a puppy will react!

Also, we have had a diet sheet from the breeder but when asking our local vet he advised Hills puppy food is all he will require and unless i was considering showing the puppy no vitamins etc as was on the diet sheet!

Can anyone help should i use the Hills food only or continue with the diet sheet and vitamins etc?                    
Sacha xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 03:44:45 PM »
Hello Sacha & welcome to COL :)

Hills Science Diet is a premium brand food but it is just one of many - it suits some dogs & not others, as with any other brand. Remember your vet sells Hills therefore it's in his interest to get you to buy it as he gets a slice of the profits from the sale :wink:  Without seeing your puppy's diet sheet, it's difficult to comment. Generally if you feed a balanced diet (whether a home-made diet or one of the complete foods available), there is no need for vitamin supplementation. Even if you do decide to change your puppy's diet eventually, please keep him on the diet he's used to for at least a week or two while he settles in with you & introduce any changes slowly over a period of time to avoid tummy upsets.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 11:38:17 AM »
Welcome to COL Sacha - look forward to hearing more from you and seeing some pics of your puppy.

Dessie & The Guernsey Gang                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 09:16:23 PM »
Hi Sacha, welcome to the group  :wink:

Look forward to hearing all about your new pup in 4 weeks time. I'm sure things will be fine with your son - pups of any breed do tend to get a bit carried away at playtime with toddlers, so just make sure you've always got an eye on them both together - especially when your pups starts mouthing, as that can be painful to adults, let alone children - make sure you've stocked up on chewy toys to help get through this phase  :lol:                    

lynseyloo

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 08:50:20 PM »
welcome :)