Author Topic: A big 'Hello' and a request for some advice!  (Read 2447 times)

Offline my-girl-jazz

• Site Member
A big 'Hello' and a request for some advice!
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:49:21 AM »
Hi

My name is Becca and I'm new to the forum.  I am hoping that you might be able to offer me some advice!

Yesterday I became the proud new owner of a rescue Cocker Spaniel.  She is chocolate brown, aged 8 years old and her name is Jazz.  Apparently she came from a very well to do family who own and work a lot of Spaniels and Labs, but according to the rescue notes, she basically was worthless to them because she was gun-shy!

I think this story is a load of rubbish, because after taking her to my vet today for a routine check up, it seems she has quite a pronounced heart murmer.  I believe this is the true reason they disposed of her.  I am so cross that she has had to go through this, because she is such a wonderful loving dog and I am already hopelessly in love with her :D

My other dogs are also very happy that she is here to stay - I have a Black Labrador called Harley, and 2 Staffies called Alfie & Lola.  Yes, as you can see, I am totally dog crazy!!  (I also have one very long suffering husband, and two lovely children who are as nuts about dogs as I am!!)

I just really wanted some Spaniel tips and hints!  For example, how often do I need to groom her coat, and should I pay for her to be trimmed - she does feel quite matted in some areas.  Also, is there any way of keeping her ears out of her water bowl LOL!!!  I am SO not used to this breed, but I want to do the very best I can for her.  She deserves a chance at happiness. :D

Look forward to hearing from you all,

Best wishes

Becca

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
Re: A big 'Hello' and a request for some advice!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »
Hey and Welcome to COL :)

From the gun shy bit I gather she is working rather than show? If so grooming will be a lot easier :) we do Callie every day as she is a hairy show cocker but workers often have less hair so that means less time spent :)

If she is matted I'd probably get a pro to sort her out and then see if you can do it after that, especially as a rescue you want her to fell comfy as soon as possible :)

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
you can get spaniel bowls, designed to not let their ears go in the water too 

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »
Hi Becca

Congratulations to your new addition. Jazz sounds absolutely lovely  :luv:  :luv:

We're all (dog) mad here so you'll fit right in  :lol:  :lol:

If she is a working cocker (which it sounds like she is) she probably wont need as much grooming. If you are new to the breed do you know the difference between working and show types? You can get spaniel bowls - and in fact on the home page here there is a link to a business where someone on here makes and sells them (they are fab!)

I am owned by Hurley who is a  2 year old, golden show type  :luv:

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline my-girl-jazz

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  I have to admit that I have no idea what the difference is between a working and a show type?!?!

I dare say I should have researched the breed a bit more, but she was in urgent need of a loving and stable home, so we acted first and then realised that we are in fact 'Cocker-Idiots'!!!

Any info would be so greatly received - the bowls sound FAB by the way!!  I will be checking them out really soon - otherwise she will have constantly wet ears LOL!!

Hopefully I will be able to get a photo of her online soon - I'd love you all to see how beautiful she is (not that I'm too biased or anything!! :005:)

Offline Bex1982

• Site Member
  • You cant buy love, but you can buy a cocker :)
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 01:04:44 PM »
welcome to the site and to cockers!!  I am new to cockers too, i have a working cocker, she is 11weeks old and is called Maisie.  Her ears are always in her water, she is a little too small for her spaniel bwol at the moment so it doesn't help  :005: post pics soon, would love to see your family of pooches!!!  :luv:
Bex & Maisie xxx

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »

Hello and welcome!
If you post a piccie of your new addition, I'm sure people here will be able to give more advice re: grooming etc (as we will know how long her fur is, and whether she is, indeed, a working cocker!) - and everyone will get the chance to go all gooey over your dog!  :luv:

There are several threads on here about differences between show and working - a very basic distinction is workers are shorter haired and bred to have the stamina to keep going all day long, show-type have the more typical long coats, which need trimming regularly.  There are many other differences (set of ears, shape of head etc) but this is a basic distinction.

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »
Hi and welcome, look forward to photos of jazz. 

Did your vet put her on any medication for the heart condition ?  My worker had a heart condition, we sadly lost her 15 months ago, she was just over 13.  I think they grade murmurs, and she didn't need medication until the last 6 months of her life. 

Sarah

Willow and Katie

Cazzie

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
Hi there Becca  :D

Your new addition sounds lovely and I bet she is just loving being with you  :luv: As far as her being gun shy, it is infact possible as my friends springer who is 10 and has been shooting all his days has now gone gun shy and is terrified of loud noises  :-\ Why we dont know, he is now retired and just potters around the kennels and sleep in doors now  :luv: As far as her heart murmur is concerned, its not uncommon in dogs, I have a terrier with a heart murmur and she lives the same life as my other dogs, and now at the age of 6 accompanies me on certain shoots and will work running around for up to 6 hours in a day  :shades:

I have tried spaniel bowls (not the super ones you can get through here) and I found them useless, I know use a soft wee hair scrunchie to hold my working cockers ears up at feeding times and it works great  ;)

I look forward to seeing pictures of her soon  :luv:

Offline clarey-doll

• Limited Member
  • my 2 angels Lady and Skye
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 04:05:09 PM »
Hi and welcome to Col ;)

I have a working cocker called Lady she is 1 year old,and dont have to groom much ,if at all ph34r :shades:

her hair is very short,her ears need some attention at times :005:

need to post some pics of your lot  ;)

as for the spaniel bowls,if you look at the front page with the personalised bowls with the 2 cockers,
Claire on here does them,they are fabulous :luv:
not a dirty ear here, :005: :shades:

so  check it out ;) its a great website too,shows all the different colours etc :luv: :shades:

enjoy your new addition  ;)

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 04:25:05 PM »
Hi Becca & Welcome to COL. :D

Your new addition sounds gorgeous & her previous owners' loss is your gain!! ;)

We have a B&W show-type cocker called Domino & like you a black lab, Spike.

Enjoy the forum; it's very addictive!! :shades:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 07:34:41 PM »
Hello and welcome.   :D  Think everyone else has already answered your questions, so nothing else to add other than we need to see pics of Jazz and all your dogs.   ;)

I'm owned by Milo, a liver working x show Cocker who's 2 1/2, and Mocha, an 18 month old liver roan & tan show type.

Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :D  ...well done for giving your special girl a happy home  ;)  Cant wait to see her  :D

I have two blue roan girls Georgie and Daisy ...who are the luv of my life  :luv: :luv: ..looking forward to hearing all about Jazz.
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 08:42:47 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL.

Most of us were "cocker idiots" once (and some of us still are I guess!!!!)

But huge congratulations on giving a lovely new home to your darling.

We have Buddy a 3 year old blue roan 3/4 show, 1/4 working type.

Looking forward to some photos soon.