Author Topic: Second introduction  (Read 1493 times)

Offline wirrah

• Site Member
    • The Bird Dogs
Second introduction
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
I joined this forum some time ago but have not been involved since. Time has just got away. So I am re-introducing myself and hope to be more involved.

We currently have 6 cockers here and have been involved with rescue for the past 12 or so years. We rescued our first cocker, Annie, in December '97 while still living in Sydney. Two more arrived and we ended up moving to a property north of Sydney.

Currently, living with us are...

Phantom, Red boy about 13 years old (not 100% sure). An adoption from the RSPCA with an interesting story. He was about a year old at the time we brought him home. He is the surviving member of the Engadine (a southern Sydney suburb) pack.

Mia (Melark Mischief Moment), Blue Roan girl 10 years old. An adoption from our local Cocker Rescue group after her breeder saved her from a council pound. She was 4 at the time.

Elanor (Melark Blue Myst), Blue Roan girl 6 years old. We have had her since a pup as she was born with a dry eye and couldn't be easily homed.

Cadfael, Red/Lemon boy 13.5 years old. Owner surrender from a local council pound. Dumped at 9.5 years old and assigned to be put to sleep. Caddie is undergoing treatment for Cushing's Disease.

Georgiana (Braycharm Golden Gem), Orange Roan girl, 3 years old. Our only ever purchase of a puppy. No rescue here!

Kara, Solid Black girl, 9.5 years old. Owner surrender to RSPCA who were going to put her to sleep because she had cherry eye and they wouldn't fund the operation.

Then there are four in our rose garden. Rest in peace Annie, Lucy, Gem & Portia

We adopted Kara 12 months ago. We had her cherry eye rectified and we were hoping to have her cataracts resolved but a retinal scan revealed advanced PRA and she has only about 5% vision so no point in fixing the cataracts. She gets around ok and had exceptionally good hearing (and loves her food)

Photos of our current and previous cockers are here http://www.pbase.com/wirrah/rescues

cheers

Greg

Offline montydavies

Re: Second introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »
Welcome back to COL!!  Your place sounds like Cocker heaven to me - 12 WOW!!!!  Lovely pictures on your website, looking forward to hearing more about your Cocker Clan.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:42:55 AM »
Welcome back to COL :D

I love the pictures on your website, especially as I have a real fondness for oldies because my first Cocker lived until he was nearly 17 years old.

Well done for taking in so many lovely Cockers and giving them a second chance and a wonderful new life :luv:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »
Spanial heaven indeed--wow, welcome back you lucky lady.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »

Welcome  Your cocker spaniel gang sound lovely. My Dylan who is 10 this month has PRA and cataracts and is also unable to have surgery. Still enjoys his walks some of them still off lead.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:58:06 PM »
 :D Welcome back..... your photo's are just lovely  :luv:  So many gorgeous, gorgeous dogs, so lucky to get a second chance with you  :luv:

Can't wait to see more photo's and hear stories of what they get up to... must be great fun at your place   :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »
Lovely photos on your website. Ellie is gorgeous...

Offline wirrah

• Site Member
    • The Bird Dogs
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 12:07:34 AM »
Thanks for the welcome back.

Ellie is gorgeous...

Poor Ellie is entirely blind in her right eye as a consequence of her dry eye. She has other problems on that same side of her face but she's ok.

My Dylan who is 10 this month has PRA and cataracts and is also unable to have surgery. Still enjoys his walks some of them still off lead.

Kara is happy off lead, you just need to make sure she doesn't go head down on a scent and disappear. Apart from that she knows where everything is and can navigate the house and yard quite well. Unless she is excited (eg. meal time) - she tends to loose it a bit and starts bouncing off walls.  :luv:

cheers

Greg

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:48:39 AM »

Dylan does the same I can tell when he is having difficulty and we put himback on a flexilead.

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »
Hi Greg and welcome back. :D
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
Hi Greg! Have just had a quick look at your lovely website;
You are COCKER CRAZY! :D
Good on you for all your love and devotion to your dogs :luv:
Will keep an eye out for more from your team
xxx steff
and cocker kisses from Ellie
xxx

Offline wirrah

• Site Member
    • The Bird Dogs
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
You are COCKER CRAZY! :D

That's certainly something I don't mind being accused of!