Author Topic: Struggling to find something thats suits Ozzy apart from fish!!  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Cam1

Re: Struggling to find something thats suits Ozzy apart from fish!!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »
I do sympathise with your problem. I had a similar problem with my cocker while she was in pup and made the mistake of feeding her puppy food ( usual procedure ) which led to runny poo etc that was difficult to then get under control. Normally she does very well on a mix of Lily's kitchen dry food with a topping of their tinned. Your dog does sound extremely sensitive so I don't know if that would work for you. However, I did find that adding a desert spoonful of puréed pumpkin helpful to food helpful .It has to be pure with no additives and it is available in tins from the supermarket. This is widely advocated in the USA on vet advice as a simple remedy for diarrhea. ( google it and see)  Once my dog's system had been upset it seemed aggravated and nothing suited her and this may be what has happened to you. The pumpkin definitely helped. Good luck. I found it extremely distressing as I'm sure you do. Have you looked for advice on the 'Which dog food' website? As it lists the ingredients of foods at least you can look at the foods with the fewest ingredients which may help. 

Offline carol pearson

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 02:33:52 PM »
Thanks Cam1
I have not been able to find canned pumpkin in my local supermarkets so I am trying to grew some, I have 3 plants that are growing quite well.
But in the mean time I use sweet potato, this was recommended as the next best thing and I think it helps.
Where do you get your pumpkin from?
I plan to leave him for a while has he is settled at the moment on WWs dry for breakfast and cooked fish for tea but as I am worried that he is not getting all the nutrients he needs (and I would like to get away from cooking) I will look at wet food recommended and I will have to try him a bit longer than I have been.
I have looked at the Which dog food website but to be honest I sometimes find all the information on dog food ingredients a bit mind blowing.

I have also been looking at vitamins/supplements and would be interested to know if anyone uses any.

Offline Cam1

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »
Hi Carol,
I bought my puréed pumpkin from Waitrose via Ocado. As this is my normal shopping habit I didn't realise there was any problem getting hold of it so I was lucky. I now keep a tin in the cupboard. If Ozzy's on an even keel with WW I don't blame you for just leaving things for a while. I do know what you mean about the 'What dog food website'. It is a bit mind boggling and probably makes me more paranoid than ever about what my dogs eat! Like you I like feeding some wet food. I know it goes against some advice but I know my dog eats better with some variety. I have found the Lily's kitchen tinned very good and my dog loves it although it is expensive. When i spoke to them at Crufts they told me that the beef and potato was their best food for a sensitive tum.The Lily's kitchen online help is also superb if you need advice.