Author Topic: Cockers and Chickens  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Dexterdog

Cockers and Chickens
« on: December 30, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »
Hi all, does anyone have any experience of keeping chickens and how Cockers react to them. I would like to get some chickens but don't want Dexter to terrorise them.  Obviously they will have their own enclosure but I want to let them out each day as well.
Thanks in advance

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
Re: Cockers and Chickens
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »
I have ducks but they have a large enclosure so no actual feather to fur contact. They get close by the wire fence but they don't bother each other just look. I'm sure my lot would chase them if they were in the pen though especially my pointer puppy little minx.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 07:28:05 PM »
I have had chooks for about 7 years now.  Coco has never bothered them at all, but then she has never shown much interest in other birds - fezzies etc - although she will chase ducks by the river.  >:(  She does try and nick their food though  :005:

I think one of my ex batts gave her a peck on the bum early on, so she learned not to mess with them  :lol2:  It depends on the dog obviously, but there is no reason why they cannot get on if you manage it right  ;)  I have loads of photos of Coco just pottering around with my ladies  :luv: :luv:  Here is an old pic of her nicking their lettuce  :lol2:

Julie and Watson

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »
When I go to my daughters, Jinley makes the chickens life a misery, although she used to leave the ducks alone after one pinned her down when she was a pup.  In fact all of the animals, dogs, goats, chickens and horses would move away for this one particular female duck.

This is where the chickens usually end up, a bit extreme, but they obviously felt safe here!

Offline MrsOmalley

• Donator
  • Bella and Millie born 01/10/2012
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »
Many years ago we had two dogs, one was a cocker, two cats and six chooks.  They all got along well, the chooks would come in the house if the patio door was left open!  We never had any issues with chasing them but my cocker would always chase seagulls when we went to the beach.  Like another post I have pictures of them all together.

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 12:14:03 AM »
I had chicken when Penny was a pup so kept her on a lead and went in their house and got a treat when told to leave and also a treat when they got their corn She is fine and they all wander to ether We had a cockerel when we had Jenny and he used to chase her I have ex battery girls and they are so friendly and steal your heart but started off with bantams I love them small for children to hold not so much poo and food also although tiny eggs have more yolk than white Enjoy and I get an extra now and again but does not work with cockers I have only have one I wish for another onex
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:44:42 AM »
My parents used to have chooks, and both their dogs and our previous cocker used to wander around their 5 acres with the chooks.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 07:52:25 AM »
We have chickens. Only one incident with Bella and a bantam which was free ranging away from the rest of the gang. Fortunately, although working type, Bella has no idea about killing anything - she even bought me a worm alive from her mouth!!! She just wanted to play with the chicken and proceeded to bark at it and knock it with her paws. I was more worried that it would die from shock than she would put it in her mouth and harm it! The chicken was fine and she got a telling off. She has never bothered with the normal sized chickens, in fact she is scared of them! However my chickens do spent 50% of their day in an enclosure surrounded by an electric fence, one experience of a shock from this has helped to persuade Bella to keep her distance!!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:27:02 AM »
I think a lot depends on the dog and whether the dog has grown up with the birds from being a pup. We have about 30 chickens but they are kept in a large enclosure. Buster would chase them if he had the chance. ("I'm a spaniel - it's what I do"). I don't think he would harm them intentionally but the idea of a spaniel + 30 chicken melee doesn't bear thinking about.

Offline sue33

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »

our pups came face to face with our chooks over the Christmas break, they were all fine, the pups were more interested in eating the chicken poop  :lol2:  and the chickens didn't really take much notice of them, think they will get pecked if they go too near, our springer never used to take much notice of them either  :blink:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
Bob has high prey instinct, and would pin the chickens down and bark for me to come and release no and the poor bird.  Sadly the foxes ate them instead.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 12:58:28 AM »
Alfie and Genie would kill any birds they came into contact with.  I'm not so sure about Skye.  I used to have poultry and dogs wandering round together but that was in my pre-spaniel days.