Author Topic: Raw Feeding  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Nance

Raw Feeding
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:55:40 PM »
Is there anyone out there who feeds only raw meat to their cockers?  I recently changed my two onto raw because they were putting on weight with eating dried food and if I tried to reduce the amount of food given, they were forever looking and pestering for something else.  Since changing, they are more satisfied and don't look for more, they only usually have one pooh a day and that is minimal, they don't drink as much as they did when they were on dried food and their coats are nice and glossy and after feeding and exercise, they settle down so well and contentedly .  I normally order from Wolf Tucker but sometimes pick up pet mince from my local butcher which contains meat, offal and bone, add some defrosted mixed veg (not the small diced stuff), an apple  and banana, small amount of porridge oats and a couple of teaspoons of dog cod liver oil, run it through the food processor and then feed according to weight.
Nance

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Raw Feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »
There are quite a few of us who raw feed, including me. I have two show type Cockers, aged 10 and 5 and I changed them to raw about 5 years ago when the younger one was a few months old.

All the things you say about shiny coats, contented dogs, small poos etc. are some of the things I noticed when I changed my two over, plus a noticeable improvement in the health of the older one.

I feed Wolf Tucker sometimes and it's a good food, but the main pre-prepared complete raw that I use is Natural Instinct. Suits my two very well and the 1kg tubs are a convenient size. I also do DIY raw in the form of meat chunks, whole lamb hearts, bones and minces from supermarkets, green tripe chunks from Nature's Menu and some prepared minces from a butcher a few miles from me who does 500g chubs of pet minces using good quality ingredients.

I don't use oats because I think they don't need them and I don't add cod liver oil because I feed them a meal of whole oily fish once a week. I like being able to give them so much variety in their diet and they definitely love it :D

Offline Gromit

• Site Member
  • Always look up.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:26:11 PM »
Crumbs, your pooch eats better than me!
I feed raw, mostly the butcher's pet meat. I add veg and rice to bulk it out a bit though really would prefer not to give cereal. I did get Natural Instinct when it was on offer, brilliant stuff I think, but too pricey for my budget.
Sounds like your menu is tops!

Offline Gertie

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:31:56 PM »
We do too, though I am new to this doggy lark as Maisy is 8 months old, have fed her raw since 4 months old.  I use Natural instinct mince, duck necks, chicken carcass and chicken necks from my butcher plus butcher's  mince, one is a chicken one and the other is lungs heart etc and I use less often (once a week).  Maisy gets fish at least once a week too, salmon or sardines so far.(The fish is cooked.)

Offline Nance

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 05:01:16 PM »
If you feed cooked fish, do you add anything to it at all?
Nance

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »

I feed a tin a sardines in spring water that I drain off, otherwise Bea gets the water in her ears and just smells very wrong  :005:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 07:09:35 PM »

Coco has a tin of sardines or mackerel in tomato sauce with a raw egg on top about once a week.  If she would eat it, I would give her the eggshell too, but the fussy little madam refuses to eat it  >:( :005:

The rest of the time, she is raw fed and it suits her really well ;)

If you do a search for raw feeding or BARF, you will find loads of threads on the subject - there are quite a lot of raw feeders on here.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 10:31:21 AM »

Mollie is raw fed and once a week gets a tin of sardines.  I can't always get the spring water ones, so I just rinse them off if they are in brine or oil before she has them.