Author Topic: Kink in new puppies tail.  (Read 1799 times)

Offline chriswilliams

Kink in new puppies tail.
« on: May 27, 2019, 06:03:03 PM »
Hi, I have recently purchased a puppy at 8 weeks old and I have noticed she has a kink in her tail about 1to 2 inches from the tip.  Is this abnormal? Is this something that can be fixed ? Should I ask the breeder for a partial refund ? Help !

Offline PaulJ

Re: Kink in new puppies tail.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 08:17:36 PM »
I would not worry about it assuming pup is otherwise healthy. From what I have seen cockers with full tails can  have a kinked end to the tail if from working strain. Ours was docked by breeder since intention is to work. I don’t know much about if this occurs in show strains. Our neighbour has a working cocker girl with a pretty pronounced straggly bit and she is a great dog.

Character, personality and what the dog is encouraged to be are surely more important than what the tip of the tail looks like?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:28:54 AM »
When you have the next vet check you could ask if there is anything physically wrong with the tail, but it may well be that it is where the tail will turn up eventually. Sort of downward to cover his bum & bits and then a little turn upward towards the very end.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 08:30:01 AM »
I would suggest asking your Vet.  It may be the “natural break point” in the tail - they all have a thin bit but its hard to tell without a photograph.

Do you intend to show? Otherwise it will be her idiosyncrasy  ;) If you do want to show it may be classed as a defect (your Vet will advise).  Dogs are treated as goods - worth reading the sale of goods act before contacting her breeder

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 09:18:40 AM »
  Dogs are treated as goods - worth reading the sale of goods act before contacting her breeder

A very sad fact but unfortunately true........A good job we‘re not loved only for our looks, I fear the vast majority of us humans would be left sadly wanting....... :'(

Offline chriswilliams

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:47:38 AM »
Paul, we do actually love her to bits even though we have only had her since friday and we know its not the most important aspect. The reason I have asked is that we were maybe going to show her or have a litter, if its a genetic fault we cant breed her in case we pass it on to her offspring and if we show her she will be always penalised. The breeder didnt mention the kink and we have payed the full asking price of £1k. we are only looking for guidence and there is no way we would part with her.