Author Topic: Working or Show?!  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Anna1230

Working or Show?!
« on: October 30, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
Hello! I?m new to the forum and to cockers so after a bit of help from those more experienced than I! We purchased Tilly 18 months ago and have never looked back, she is the love of our lives! We are a bit perplexed though 🤔 . We we?re told by the breeder that she was show type. We saw both parents who looked like show cockers but she definitely seems more working. Build, high ears, totally bonkers! It?s not really a problem as we?re very active and she?s out loads but I?m just curious. Any advice would be appreciated. Could she be a bit of both? In addition we?re quite keen to get her a compagnon so would be useful to have a bit more insight this time. We would prefer a dog that?s a bit calmer if we can. Thank you so much in advance. Anna

Offline bmthmark

Re: Working or Show?!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 01:47:45 PM »
Hi, my dog is half working & half show. His dad was a working dog and mum was a show type.
Its very tricky to distinguish from just looks as cocker spaniels can look very different.
I can see the show type with mine as he has a beautiful long coat and he has a lot of fur around the legs.
But he seems to have the mind of a working cocker. He loves to work for me and he would do anything to go for a swim.

Do you have a picture of yours?

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »
Did she come with a Pedigree?

Offline Anna1230

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
Hi both thanks for replying ! I?m struggling to upload a photo! You can just see her on my avatar.She didn?t have any KC papers but I (probably naively) thought it wouldn?t be a huge issue as she was always going to be a pet. It?s really tricky and I?m keen to approach things with a bit more knowledge this time around.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
Without a pedigree it is impossible to be sure. However, they are all individuals anyway who love to have stimulation and activities. Build the care/activities around the individual character and strengths of your dog and whether they be worker, show or a mix you shouldn't go far wrong.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »
Rosie is a show cocker...she was completely insane and I mean insane, we wondered several time if we had done the right thing getting Her...but at about 20 months We went away for a walking holiday and came home with a completely different dog, still has mad moments, can walk and run for ever but so much calmer especially when compared to a friends similer age working Cocker....your little one is still quite young ..there is hope....