Author Topic: who is top dog at your place  (Read 534 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
who is top dog at your place
« on: March 16, 2006, 12:51:43 AM »
Kody is 15 weeks, Indi 15months friends have said bitches are usualy top dog but I think Kody has a more dominate personality.Wondered what will happen as they get older or when he matures .I know I will have no say in this, they will sort it out themselves, what age does this happen or is it when he reaches her size? she has only just started to put him in his place and has let him take her toys bed and sometimes food >:( she grabbed him the other day for the first time and he ran off and sat in the corner and just looked at her :o i think she did frighten him is this the start or will he just obey her forever now regardless of his size he is going to be a lot bigger than her. :argue:
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Re: who is top dog at your place
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 11:09:46 PM »
Kody is currently living under 'puppy grace'.
Indi will soon start to tell him to back off when she has had enough and he is a bit older and should know better lol.
Bitches are usually top dogs...but theres always the exceptions  :huh:

Janey

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 09:43:37 AM »
Sorry I can offer no sensible advice as the cat is top dog in our house  ;) :005:

The only thing I will say, is that as you have already pointed out you will have no say in this decision.  They wont consult you as arbitrator because your opinion counts for zip  ::) :lol:  My friend tried to influence her two dogs as she wanted to original dog to be boss not the newcomer - she had alsorts of problems because she would do things like give the treats to the original dog then make newcomer wait for about a minute before he was allowed any - stupid stuff really but it just prolonged the enevitable.  As soon as she stopped trying to mess about it all calmed down  ::) ::)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 11:02:31 AM »
I wonder about this 2. Libby is now nearly 12 months old and I'm still not sure who the top dog is between the 2 of them. Phoebe lets Libby have anything she's carrying and would probably walk away from her tea (if we let libby have her own way). Any treats they get together.

Thet share the same bed but Phoebe does put Libby in her place sometimes and Libby has just started telling Phoebe off ( very rarely). The only thing that has caused any real tension has been bones so I don't give either of them these.

How do you tell which one is definitely top dog.?
Sometimes I think Libby will but then the next I'm not sure as she can be very submissive to Phoebe.
Anita