Author Topic: Ohhhh yuck. Doggie breath  (Read 1076 times)

Offline tritonx

Ohhhh yuck. Doggie breath
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »
I'm still faintly nauseous from an accidental inhale of Fraser's breath. I was playing with him while sitting at the patio table enjoying the morning sun. Just as I leaned forward to pet him, he stood on his back legs to get close and breathed a large puff of doggie breath directly into my mouth. Now, my breath first thing in the morning is not fields of daisies, but his---well, charnel house, graves, things you really don't want to take deep breaths of come to mind. Immediately your imagination becomes an electron microscope and you see the noxious molecules floating about inside, bonding to the mucus membranes of your mouth. Even gacking and trying to huff out the doggie air doesn't get rid of the thought. It happened about 20 minutes ago and I've decided I can't eat breakfast yet until my stomach settles. They're such lovely companions, but man oh man, sometimes the disgust factor takes over.

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
Re: Ohhhh yuck. Doggie breath
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »
Poor thing... Maybe you could give him some breath fresheners first thing or some minty dog chews :lol2: :lol2:

As a matter of interest, is the smell to do with what he eats and does he like to snack on other things that could contribute to his delightful breath??? :005: :005:

Offline jessandme

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:22:19 PM »
Yuk indeed.

But there will be a reason for such awful breath.... has he been snacking on something unspeakable? - lip fold infections can smell very nasty - or could it be his teeth/gums?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »
When I fed Smudge on Harringtons dog food for a short while I notice how bad his breadth smelt - could it be something to do with his diet?

Can also be a bit whiffy after a sea jerky fish treat too  ph34r - but this is short lived as he only gets 1 or 2 a day
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »
How old is Fraser?  My daughter adopted an elderly greyhound whose breath smelt awful  >:D  Extraction of a few teeth solved the problem totally.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline tritonx

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:09:18 AM »
No worries. I don't think Fraser's breath is any worse than the average dog's, at any rate, not to do with a health condition. It was a combination of getting such a close up smell of a dog's breath and actually having it in my mouth, plus knowing what he eats that he's not supposed to--cat poo, disgusting things on the ground. What goes through that dog's gut doesn't bear thinking about. Needless to say, the combination made my stomach turn. My description might have been a bit over the top and mostly a measure of how much I didn't like having dog breath in my mouth  :D They should never ever be taught how to do CPR  :005:

Offline jessandme

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »
Eating unspeakable things eh..... ph34r  .... that would do it!   Ick ick ick...

Point is, that dogs shouldn't have bad or nasty smelling breath, it should not smell of anything at all.  If it does, there's a reason...

Our Jess likes rolling in things rather than eating them, bird poo and dead frogs seem to be particularly attractive to her at the moment. It is bad enough that she rolls in them so enthusiastically, but I guess I should be thankful she's not eating them.   

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 04:56:43 PM »
Minty chew sticks are great....they help to keep their teeth clean as well as their breath fresh. Xxxx

Good luck.

Actually, it is the other way around in our house.  Luis is the 'teeth police'.  If he comes for a cuddle before i go to the bathroom he sniffs aound my face as If to say 'hey, teeth brushed If you don't mind.'  :005:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline tritonx

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »
There are minty chew sticks? Who knew. Not me. Too funny. What next. Teeth whitening? Dogs with blinding smiles like Hollywood stars.  :lol2:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »
I brush Charlie's teeth with a minty dog toothpaste :). His breath is quite nice  :005:
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)