Author Topic: Age for a bath?  (Read 806 times)

Offline tris

Age for a bath?
« on: July 25, 2015, 08:14:47 AM »
When can we wash coco?She is now 9.5wks old are we ok to give her a bath now? yesterday we treated her with her 1st flea drops on her neck how long does this have to be left?

Many thanks for advice. also what shampoo do you recommend?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Age for a bath?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »
They generally suggest at least 48 hours before allowing your dog to be immersed in water (swimming or bath) but the packaging should say or ask your Vet practice if done there  :D

Coral is now 26 weeks old and is yet to have a bath!  Pearl is bathed every 6 weeks when she goes to the groomers but I'm hoping (with the aid of clippers and a grooming table 😉) to move this out to every 3 months....mostly to allow her coat to recover from having the natural oils stripped out through bathing!  It is very noticeable that rain just sits on Corals coat and soaks into Miss Ps!

The longer you can leave Coco without a bath the better I would say (Eau de fox allowing  :005:) happy to be corrected by others if she should be bathed earlier  :D

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 12:42:51 PM »
Teddy is a white dog who adores water, gardening , rolling in anything really stinky and playing with stinky dogs!
He also an inside dog is partial to watching TV in my lap and cuddles with mum and dad on the bed before he goes to sleep.
The two lists are not compatible!
Teds first bath was at nine weeks and it was winter but we just bundled him up and dried him off. Sometimes he has a bath once a week other times we stretch it to two but on really feral weeks where he seems very drawn to digging holes or rolling in pongs he could have two baths!
It's quite possibly true his coat would be shinier and more waterproof if we didn't do this but in the long run we would all be less happy. We do use a good quality oatmeal shampoo and conditioner.

I made the mistake of not persisting slowly with a hair dryer when he was little though and wish I could go back and work on this fear.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 01:31:32 PM »
I washed Pip in the bathroom sink when she was 9 weeks as she has a bit of a niff! Just towel dried her afterwards. I am trying to get her used to the hairdryer by blowing her with it when I'm drying my hair. It worked with Honey.....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline tris

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 07:15:03 AM »
Thankyou for the replies. Good to hear both sides of the subject. My wife had mentioned allowing the natural oils to set in, however with the wet weather when she nips out for the toilet she does smell a little 'doggy' though.

My springer when I was growing up also had a rolling fetish for anything smelly! If there was something smelly in a 100 mile field he would find it! and roll all over it. So I think we will just see how she goes when allowed out and wash her as/when. Dont want to have that distinctive doggy smell when friends/family step in the front door if we can help it.